Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2016 7:38:59 PM EDT
As it says in the title. I have a cheapo Blackhawk 2 point sling on my rifle, attached at the rear through one of the cutouts in the stock (magpul Moe) and at the front of the handcuffs through a rail mounted sling swivel.  The sling is attached at the 9 o'clock position relative to the barrel.  I'd like to understand how I should rearrange my setup to facilitate transitioning to left handed shooting quickly.

Update

Here's what I'm doing for now, and it seems to work.

I have the front attachment point on the left side of my rifle at 9 o'clock on the front of the handguard (left side as seen from the shooter's point of view).  Instead of attaching the rear point on the left side of the stock, I ran the strap around the back of the buttstock and attached on the right hand side of the buttstock.

The sling is just barely long enough in this configuration, but it does work.  The strap is out of the way when slung normally, but it allows quick transition to the left shoulder without having to shrug out of the sling.  It still carries normally.

I'll probably need to get a longer / better sling at some point but this is working for now.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I just use QD both from and rear and practice disconnecting one end quickly.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't shoot off hand if the shot is worth risking your life to take, shoot it with your strong hand. I don't train to shoot off hand with a rifle.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:07:59 PM EDT
[#3]
You may need a better sling

Not too hard with my VTAC
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't shoot off hand if the shot is worth risking your life to take, shoot it with your strong hand. I don't train to shoot off hand with a rifle.
View Quote

Clearing around a wall sometime requires an off hand shot
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#5]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoGh-tZtKKA

About 1:15 in. This is how I like to wear my sling on the back end of the rifle. H&K style hook on the front.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:02:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No , it doesn't, some people choose to do that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:01:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no it doesnt. off hand shots are saved for when you're trying to take a shot from behind cover while under fire.

Use a VTAC or VCAS sling, and run with the sling draped over your neck.  OR. Run the sling over your strong shoulder, and under your support arm (opposite of the way most people do it).
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:06:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
I use a VTAC, I sling over my strong shoulder and under weak arm, adjust it to where it is comfortable at this position. When I transition to weak hand, simply give your sling slack and it gives me enough room to fire and manipulate the weapon on my weak side.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#9]
This is how I do it:

VTAC sling, flush QD swivel on rail @9:00, QD swivel on stock @3:00.
Rifle sling over dominant shoulder, under support arm.
Steps:  loosen sling, transition shoulders.  Done.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:19:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I have noticed that if you place the rear sling connection to the outside of the stock (ejection port side if right handed) provides just enough slack that you don't choke yourself when transitioning to the weak side.  Balance of the sling of the sling is slung over the strong side should wrapped under the arm of the weak side.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:37:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have noticed that if you place the rear sling connection to the outside of the stock (ejection port side if right handed) provides just enough slack that you don't choke yourself when transitioning to the weak side.  Balance of the sling of the sling is slung over the strong side should wrapped under the arm of the weak side.
View Quote

Depends on the sling, too. With a Vickers or Magpul sling mounted up at the front of the handguard, the sling can still be pretty tight when only around the neck and holding the rifle left-handed, even with all the slack let out. With the Proctor sling, though, I don't have this problem, since it's got way more adjustment room.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:48:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Whichever sling you run, the key is adding slack to it.  Either pulling the tab on a VTAC or similar sling, or detaching a QD or HK style hook from one of the attachment points.   Good advice on the rear QD mount being on the "outside" vs. inside.  For a RH shooter that would be on the right of the gun vs. on the left and vice versa.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:19:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Another point of interest with the sling attached to the outside of the stock is that the rifle hangs in towards the body when it's at rest staying in a more vertical position  instead of wanting to somewhat flop outwards if mounted on the inside.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

You need a sling that's long enough. To switch sides, you drop your support side elbow through it, so that it's just hanging around your neck. Then, switch hands, switch shoulders, good to go.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:07:15 AM EDT
[#15]
When you are about to go "into action," remove both arms from your sling and allow it to hang around your neck.

You can fire from either shoulder equally easily, and don't need to have excessive length in your sling.  

If you need to sling the weapon for whatever reason, simply "throw" the weapon to the side you want to sling it, and put your arm through as it goes, so that you can sling it across your front, or your back, depending on what you might need to do and have a good amount of stability.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I've found a temporary solution.  OP updated.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Many people haven't tried just changing shoulders, while using same grip. It works. It's no more awkward than switching entire holds, and is far faster to transition.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is how I do it:

VTAC slingVickers VTAC, flush QD swivel on rail @9:00, QD swivel on stock @3:00.
Rifle sling over dominant shoulder, under support arm.
Steps:  loosen sling, transition shoulders.  Done.
View Quote

This is how I do it as well.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I was wounded just under the right in a firefight when I exposed myself.  After I got out of Brooke I really learned to shoot with non-dom eye with both carbine and handgun.  At our classes at Ft. Huachuca we drilled and drilled.  I would expose my eye just before chow and a little pus will fall out, I did that until one of my OIC's said stop it. (He is a regular here and lightfighter)  The Red dot sights make it much easier than  in earlier conflicts.  I might have a pic or tow on our website gatorfarmtactical.com
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top