Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/12/2016 1:36:55 PM EDT
I've been shooting for a long time, so I'm not a newb.   I've used the leather slings in competition and practiced with competition slings.  But I've never really figured out a useable sling for my AR.  I only have a silent sling right now and I went to put it on my M4gery yesterday and I was like, ewwww....  I tried it a few different ways and stopped.  I don't overly mind a simple 2 point sling, like when I had it on my 20" A2, and maybe I need to rig it up that way on the carbine.  Here's what I'm trying to put it on:

My main goal for this gun is SHTF/HD.  It's not my main HD gun, I use my pistol for that.  But it would be nice to have it set up with a light for that.  I used to hunt a lot, and really the only time I wanted a sling, is when I was dragging a deer.  But for the most part I always feel like they're in the way.  I realize they can aid in shooting sometimes.  But sometimes they just are annoying.

Are they really necessary?  It seems like they're necessary if you are taking a carbine course, and need to transition to your handgun.  But a bump in the night scenario, where you grab your gun quick, just seems like something to get in the way.  Now SHTF, I could see that being an issue.  

So, if you had my carbine, with a silent sling, how would you attach it and use it?  Or would you just have to get something else?  

I tried attaching it to the top of the CAR stock and then the front sling loop, and did the ole over the right shoulder and under the left shoulder thing, and that's not too bad, but it's a little short for that.  I also tried looping it through the bottom slot and the bottom of the stock and then the front sling loop and then put it over the left shoulder, muzzle down, but it just seemed a bit funky.  

I'm thinking about taking some paracord and making a sling loop for the bottom of the stock to mimic a standard sling loop and just use it the standard way.  

Any advice is welcomed.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:38:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Single point with a quick disconnect
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#2]
You need an end plate with sling attachment, something like this:

Since you actually know how to use a sling, going with a single point would be foolish.

A QD attachment at the rear will allow you to easily sling up if you need to.

If you don't want to take your rifle apart to replace the plate, you could get a stock that has the QD mount built in (like the Magpul CTR)
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 2:57:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Condor speedy 2pt

The above sling is what I use on all my ARs.  Great slings that move easily and quickly lengthen and shorten.  Heavy duty and has release buckles.

A good sling will help you shoot better and increase your capabilities.  Can you think of a scenario where you want to keep your rifle on you, but need to use your hands?  Then you may want a sling.

With regards on how to mount it, a sling coming off the bottom of your stock will not be very conducive to modern use; it's intended to be slung over the shoulder.  What you describe with the top of the stock is probably the best you'll get.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't like the CTR.  I had one for a couple of days and didn't fit my face well.  For this gun, I'm not really wanting the sling to have something to steady the gun while shooting, like a competition sling.  I want it more for if I need it to hang off my body while doing something else.

I haven't staked my castle nut yet, so I could put a single point plate on there.  I was kind of not wanting to spend money though and use the silent sling......    But that might be part of my problem as to why I don't like them in general.  I remember specifically watching Steve from ADCO do this AR drill where he stood back to the target with the gun off of him.  He then threw the loop type sling over his shoulder and head while turning around then shot at the target.  It was a single point and it was basically a circle that went over his right shoulder and under his left armpit and then had an extra strap that came out and attached to the plate.  That was a cool sling.  That's probably how most single points are, I don't know.  

Anyways....  most of the slings I see on here are this big ole things that I don't even understand what's going on with them.......  I guess I need to watch some vids on it.  

But yeah, I know how to use the 1907 sling for competition, when you put your arm through the loop you made made.  Or even a USGI web sling.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Can you do a hasty sling for support with a single point?
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#6]
You definitely need a sling for a class.  It's the same as a holster for a handgun.  

For classes and matches I like a VCAS, mounted at the rear end of the rail, or on a g.i. front swivel, with the rear attached to the end of the stock.  End plate mounts let the gun flop around too much and are almost as big of a PITA as a single point.  

For that gun, I would find a Colt or g.i. barrel mounted side sling swivel for the front, and just stick the end of the sling through the stock and thread a slider onto the other side and stick it back through the stock (The instructions show you how to do this).

That will be a super useable and comfortable setup that also will look very right on that gun.  I used that setup for several years when I was using a mostly stock 6921. It's simple, and doesn't twist up or anything.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You definitely need a sling for a class.  It's the same as a holster for a handgun.  

For classes and matches I like a VCAS, mounted at the rear end of the rail, or on a g.i. front swivel, with the rear attached to the end of the stock.  End plate mounts let the gun flop around too much and are almost as big of a PITA as a single point.  

For that gun, I would find a Colt or g.i. barrel mounted side sling swivel for the front, and just stick the end of the sling through the stock and thread a slider onto the other side and stick it back through the stock (The instructions show you how to do this).

That will be a super useable and comfortable setup that also will look very right on that gun.  I used that setup for several years when I was using a mostly stock 6921. It's simple, and doesn't twist up or anything.
View Quote

I'm not picturing it.  What instructions?  
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 8:17:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm not picturing it.  What instructions?  
View Quote

https://www.blueforcegear.com/SpecSheets/Universal-Vickers-Sling-Instructions-2015.pdf
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you.  Now I get it.  I need an extra sling loop of some sort for the opposite side of the stock.....  I'll see what I can dig up.  I'm debating on the front sling loop though.  I might just rig something up with paracord.  Although I know barrels can melt them if hot enough.  And I'm not sure about wrapping it on the FSB because when I put a light on there, I have one of those rails that mount onto the FSB.  So maybe I will need that slide sling swivel.  hehehe
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Impact Weapons Componets has several options you may want to consider, could do their Micro QD by simply drilling a hole into you hand guard which is extremely low profile or use one of their other offerings to mount into the existing top vent holes.
IWC fixed link
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thank you.  Now I get it.  I need an extra sling loop of some sort for the opposite side of the stock.....  I'll see what I can dig up.  I'm debating on the front sling loop though.  I might just rig something up with paracord.  Although I know barrels can melt them if hot enough.  And I'm not sure about wrapping it on the FSB because when I put a light on there, I have one of those rails that mount onto the FSB.  So maybe I will need that slide sling swivel.  hehehe
View Quote

There's a lot of personal preference to sling type and location, it may take a little experimentation for you to find what works best for you. Btw, I tried a FSB light mount early on but quickly discarded it due to how hot my light was getting.

Here's my old school from the '80's, not many sling/location choices back then, a triangular piece of spring steel attached the front of the sling to the FSB:

FF to today, another vote for QD side sling swivel mount (rotation-limited to prevent twisting):

Tomac
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Impact Weapons Componets has several options you may want to consider, could do their Micro QD by simply drilling a hole into you hand guard which is extremely low profile or use one of their other offerings to mount into the existing top vent holes.
IWC Sling Mounts
View Quote

That link took me to "Whittaker Guns" and had a S&W M&P15 for 499.99.  Seems like a good deal.  I can google that sling you're talking about.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There's a lot of personal preference to sling type and location, it may take a little experimentation for you to find what works best for you. Btw, I tried a FSB light mount early on but quickly discarded it due to how hot my light was getting.

Here's my old school from the '80's, not many sling/location choices back then, a triangular piece of spring steel attached the front of the sling to the FSB:
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Tomac/media/img001.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/img001.jpg</a>

FF to today, another vote for QD side sling swivel mount (rotation-limited to prevent twisting):
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Tomac/media/P5040006.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/P5040006.jpg</a>

Tomac
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Tomac/media/img001.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/img001.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Tomac/media/P5040006.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/P5040006.jpg</a>

Tomac

That's good to know about the FSB light mount.  I never had a light mounted on one and shot.  I planned on doing that.   Now you got me rethinking that...    Did you like your old skool sling set up like that?  That second set up is funky.  I'm trying to picture how having it so far foward on the stock would work.......  Seems like it would have to wrap over your shoulder and then down some.........  
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
This.  Make it something quality that you can move between rifles quickly.  

I need the same thing.  I have a Tactical Tailor two point but did not have enough time to put it on before I had to clear a house on an alarm call. It sucked not having the sling, and if I had a QD single point, I would have taken it.  

Same with a light.  Get a QD light that you can throw on quickly.  I used a pistol light, but but another QD flashlight mount to use a better light.  

When SHTF, it does not wait for you to get set up.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, I'm working on figuring out how do to a light like that.  I think that's good advice.  What are you using?  I have a G2Z for my bedside and I was thinking about putting a qd mount on it for if I waned to throw it on the carbine real quick.  Or I just need to get a second light.  Or a second light with a qd mount for switching it around when I need or want to.  I like the TLR-1, but I'm not sure how QD that unit is.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:49:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:07:25 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a couple Vickers slings and a Magpul MS1 sling. They stay on the rifles they're on at all times. I love slinging the rifle over my shoulder and carrying it out to my vehicle every day to and from work. And of course it's on there when I run drills too. I really think you ought to get a 2-point and just leave it on the rifle and get used to it being there.

I have a single-point as well but I never use it. I just think the 2-points are more versatile and more useful.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Single points are great if you like to hit yourself in the nuts.  

The only time I've seen a use for a single point is if you have a lot of shit on top of a plate carrier.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Both of you make a lot of sense for a 2 point.   I've heard that about the nuts before.  I've never attended a carbine class, so.....  I wouldn't know.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Proctor way of the gun sling. Simple, light, and very affordable.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top