Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2016 7:07:21 PM EDT
So I was thinking about buying this sling: http://www.amazon.com/Military-Point-Sling-Adjusters-Made/dp/B01E3DPLVW and in the description the NSN matches the 5th sling down on this GI sling reference page except it is od instead of black. http://inrd.gotdns.com/alice/zsas.htm Were any GI M4 slings made in od instead of black that had the NSN#1005-01-368-9852? Is the od sling legit GI or a knock off?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag.  That looks funky to me but that website you linked to looked funky as well.  When I was in every "silent sling" I encountered was black.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Black is the only color I've seen. But issue slings SUCK and therefore, I recommend against them (unless you're dead set on a clone).
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm going for a clone and will just use the sling as a carry strap anyway so I don't need anything fancy lol.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#4]
In that case, here is something closer to what we use in my unit (unless you buy your own).

http://www.amazon.com/AR15-M16-Sling-Classic-Point/dp/B00JT0QWO0
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 2:20:47 AM EDT
[#5]
USGI slings are all black. Every single one of them.

The USGI is a cheap POS though. There's noting magical or even practical about it without end-user modification.
This sling will probably function exactly as well as a USGI sling
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The USGI is a cheap POS though. There's noting magical or even practical about it without end-user modification.
View Quote

There were some green ones too. Not sure how old they were but when I first went in and we still had the A2s some of them had the green slings.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I think I've seen some of the older Vietnam era web slings on A2's somewhere or another.  They're OD.  I don't think I've ever seen an OD silent sling though. Those buckles on that one in the original post look legit though.  In comparison to the one I have.  If mine is legit.......  The web part, that looks like someone bought some stuff from the camping store.  But I really don't know.  

I'll get some pics of mine that I THINK is a legit "silent sling".  But I'm not completely sure.  It's old.  

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Ours all had a latching piece on them. I'll get a picture when i get home

We never had anything that resembled that.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I think what you had was technically a "web sling".  Hmmmmm......  Did it look like this?:

This, to my understanding is a silent sling and it's like the one I posted:

And we got lousy trigger finger discipline and it almost looks like the other guy is pointing his m16 at himself.    Hopefully not.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Ours all had a latching piece on them. I'll get a picture when i get home

We never had anything that resembled that.
View Quote

I only ever saw these, and I did a LOT of monthly armory inventories...

http://cjweapons.com/military-sling-1-1-4-military-black.html

When I got my green AR-10, I had to go shopping for a green sling

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

This, to my understanding is a silent sling and it's like the one I posted:

http://s18.postimage.org/6tr8dy9xl/dfst8203779.jpg

And we got lousy trigger finger discipline and it almost looks like the other guy is pointing his m16 at himself.    Hopefully not.
View Quote

Hard to tell in that pic, but if it has two M buckles instead one of them being the sling keeper (clamp) it is the silent sling

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:59:37 PM EDT
[#12]
It seems like you are agreeing though.  The one I have and the one you just posted is a "silent sling".   The ones with a clip on one end and a flip latch on the other, is a "web sling".  This is how I understand it.  And I think they have both been used in the US Military.  I'm assuming the silent sling was considered "silent" in comparison with the that metal clip on the web sling.  Which on a metal loop will obviously make noise.  I always thought that was a crazy thing.  A 1917 would make less noise.  Because there's not metal on metal contact.  Unless the adjustment thingies bounce and hit the gun if the sling was in a loose position.  Same with the latch on the web sling.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:39:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It seems like you are agreeing though.  The one I have and the one you just posted is a "silent sling".   The ones with a clip on one end and a flip latch on the other, is a "web sling".  This is how I understand it.  And I think they have both been used in the US Military.  I'm assuming the silent sling was considered "silent" in comparison with the that metal clip on the web sling.  Which on a metal loop will obviously make noise.  I always thought that was a crazy thing.  A 1917 would make less noise.  Because there's not metal on metal contact.  Unless the adjustment thingies bounce and hit the gun if the sling was in a loose position.  Same with the latch on the web sling.
View Quote

Where the web sling shows its strength over the silent sling, is when using a sling to support the rifle in a KD course qualification, or competition in service rifle matches, etc. Having the keeper allows much easier tension adjustments while in a loop sling, etc. http://www.illinoishighpower.org/general_highpower_info/ISRA%20SR%20Sling.pdf

The keeper isn't the noisy part of the web sling. The sling hook (which quickly attaches to the sling swivel on the buttstock) is the greatest source of metal-on-metal rattling. I take those off. Putting the keeper right up against the front swivel will eliminate most all possibility for it clanking against the receiver or handguards, if that is an issue. if my rifle making noise was going to give me away, I'm sure that the large noisy vehicles I was on or around were of an even greater potential. Electrical or ordnance tape also works to insulate the keeper and metal sling tip from banging.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#14]

yes thst is the good ole issue sling, I like them, 1 pt is stupid & 3pt is crazy the best sling is the 2qt carry strap.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There were some green ones too. Not sure how old they were but when I first went in and we still had the A2s some of them had the green slings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup my a2 had a green sling.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yeah, I think I've seen some of the older Vietnam era web slings on A2's somewhere or another.  They're OD.  I don't think I've ever seen an OD silent sling though. Those buckles on that one in the original post look legit though.  In comparison to the one I have.  If mine is legit.......  The web part, that looks like someone bought some stuff from the camping store.  But I really don't know.  

I'll get some pics of mine that I THINK is a legit "silent sling".  But I'm not completely sure.  It's old.  

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/2016%20guns/IMG_5947_zpsymljynja.jpg

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/2016%20guns/IMG_5950_zpsmeoul4di.jpg
View Quote

I bought one like this at an army surplus store. They had a shitload in od green. I'm not sure they are US issue, but they work as a basic sling. I need one in khaki/fde.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:55:26 PM EDT
[#17]
In the armory I worked in we threw those away by the thousands.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top