Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2016 4:51:57 PM EDT
I am new to the AR15 world and looking for an honest, unbiased opinion on an armorer's wrench. I was looking on Amazon for reviews but all of the options seemed pretty 50/50. Not sure if the make and model of my gun changes the kind of wrench I may need but I have a Bushmaster XM15. I may also be looking for a vice block and pin punch set. Any and all information is appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#1]
For a multi purpose wrench, I'd go with the Magpul. The best barrel wrench I've used to date has come from 2unique LLC. They also have a nice punch set.

I use a Brownells clam shell mostly, and it's given me zero issues if you are using standard forged uppers. I haven't tried the Magpul block but I'd like to. I have used a reaction rod but won't use it for barreling anymore if I don't have to - just muzzle devices.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I recommend the Wheeler wrench. Has practically everything you need, and then they give you some bits for other things (6 of the most common). Decent price too, Midway has it for about $22.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/773840/wheeler-engineering-delta-series-multi-tool-ar-15-steel
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info, I was looking into the magpul and it definitely seems like one of the better multi tools.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 8:35:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had 3 or 4 of the cheap multi tools.
None lasted more than 1 or 2 uses.
Finally bought a Magpul and loved it. But it was useless on my LaRue stealth.  Pins too short. So I had to buy a spikes GI wrench.

So lesson here.  Buy once cry once.   I could've bought both the spikes and magpul from the start for what I paid for that other junk.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an AIM sports wrench but the pins are too wide to fit the buffer tube castle nut. Barrel nuts are also a bit the tight; I don't think they properly accounted for the coating thickness when they designed the wrench.

I borrowed a coworkers Magnum wrench to build an upper and was very impressed. The price is a little steep but it's definitely a nice wrench. Folks used to like the hammerhead wrench. I'm not sure if they stopped making them or if it's not the flavor of the month anymore. They still have a website but it appears to only fit buffer tubes and muzzle devices. If your going to the trouble of buying a dedicated AR wrench, it should at least fit the buffer tube, muzzle, and standard barrel nuts, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I used the Tapco Armorer's wrench.  A little more expensive than some (about $37 on walmart.com ), but cheaper than others.  Does pretty much everything, unless you have some proprietary barrel nut size (like I did).  It worked perfect for tightening the castle nut and the flash hider.  It's built very solidly (about 1/4" thick).  The only negative about it is the paint tends to flake off a bit under force, but that doesn't affect performance at all.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tapco-AR-Armour-s-Tool/22286830
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used the Tapco Armorer's wrench.  A little more expensive than some (about $37 on walmart.com ), but cheaper than others.  Does pretty much everything, unless you have some proprietary barrel nut size (like I did).  It worked perfect for tightening the castle nut and the flash hider.  It's built very solidly (about 1/4" thick).  The only negative about it is the paint tends to flake off a bit under force, but that doesn't affect performance at all.
View Quote

+1 for the Tapco.

So far, it is the best one that I have used. The Wheeler one is nice, just a little awkward sometimes with where everything is placed. I haven't had a chance to use the magpul ones, but that is mainly because I haven't needed to as I have my tapco.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

+1 for the Tapco.

So far, it is the best one that I have used. The Wheeler one is nice, just a little awkward sometimes with where everything is placed. I haven't had a chance to use the magpul ones, but that is mainly because I haven't needed to as I have my tapco.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 for the Tapco.

Generally not a Tapco fan, but their multi-wrench is an exception.  It is quite good.  Get Brownells upper receiver vise block  to go with it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:50:37 AM EDT
[#10]
This is the standard USGI Armor's wrench that I use.

Got issued a Magpull Armorers wrench and love it.  One I dislike the most is the one my wife bought me and that's a Wheeler.  It only has two pins to mate with the barrel nut.  Had one barrel that I could not get undone with that wrench.  Kept stripping the barrel nut flangs, move to the next and bent those.  Still haven't removed that barrel and have one chewed up barrel nut and stuck barrel.  So, I prefer a wrench that will grab more of the barrel nut and spread the force/torque.

CD
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#11]
For wrenches 2UniqueLLC and BRD Engineering. Their wrenches are the best that I have found.

For installing the barrel I have been using the Geissele Super Reaction Rod and it has worked for me so far. I would not use the regular Geissele Reaction Rod or any of the copycat Reaction Rod style tools though... There has been way to many posts about them shearing index pins.

I use barrel blocks for working on muzzle devices.

Any specific punches that I have bought for working on the AR have come from Brownells and RGUNS. The two punches from RGUNS are unbeatable for installing the bolt catch roll pin.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 5:18:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

+1 for the Tapco.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 for the Tapco.

+2. The Tapco Armorer's wrench does all well. Also not a fan of Tapco, but this tool is done right. Don't waste your $ on a magpul wrench unless you just want the MP bling.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 5:24:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The tapco wrench offers a certain value at it's price point but the USA made forged Magpul wrench is very different in both design and build quality (full loop engagement for castle nuts along with rounded edges with no sharp areas to cut you if you slip).

Tapco wrench -Amazon reviews

Magpul Wrench - Amazon reviews
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 for the Tapco.

+2. The Tapco Armorer's wrench does all well. Also not a fan of Tapco, but this tool is done right. Don't waste your $ on a magpul wrench unless you just want the MP bling.

The tapco wrench offers a certain value at it's price point but the USA made forged Magpul wrench is very different in both design and build quality (full loop engagement for castle nuts along with rounded edges with no sharp areas to cut you if you slip).

I really like my Magpul wrench.  I have used a few different types and the Magpul is my favorite.  I have a couple friends who ask to borrow my Magpul wrench often and both have other brands of wrenches (they are obviously cheap or I'm enabling them).  My sole reason for buying the Magpul wrench was the castle nut section.  I was slightly damaging castle nuts with my old wrench and the Magpul wrench is well designed in that area.  It is hefty, no sharp edges and designed very well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:46:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 for the Tapco.

... which has never been an issue (until MP says it is). People have been using non full loop castle nut wrenches since... forever (without issue).
No thanks. Tapco does everything yours does, for less (and as well).
I'm not saying yours isn't a great wrench (I'm positive it IS)... but for "value"?.... NO. Tapco has your A** beat (hard).
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:31:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:24:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I have never used a Tapco wrench and I probably never would.  I'm sure I would hurt myself after looking at it.  Do you have to wrap the opposite side with something when using it?  I must have sissy girl hands because it looks like it would be painful when cranking down on it to tighten a castle nut.  

I have used 4 different wrenches and the best I have used is the Magpul.  I bought it for the full loop castle nut section.  I could not get the two standard AR wrenches to not slip at some point or very slightly mar the castle nut tab sections.  The Magpul wrench works perfectly for this and now it's all I use.  It must be a wrench that is made for idiots because it works great for me.  If I had to recommend a wrench for first time assemblers, it would be the Magpul wrench.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Magpul wrench = Snap on
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Magpul wrench = Snap on
View Quote

That's been the correlation I was planning to post. Having been a professional mechanic in my earlier life I can relate to this. I own a lot of Snap-On tools and I shiver at the thought of what I paid for them. Had I not used them everyday I would have settled for a slightly lower price point. Where is this Snap-On of AR tools manufactured?

Jester
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Made in the USA
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

... which has never been an issue (until MP says it is). People have been using non full loop castle nut wrenches since... forever (without issue).
I'm not saying yours isn't a great wrench (I'm positive it IS)... but for "value"?.... NO. Tapco has your A** beat (hard).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 for the Tapco.

I used the tapco for a long time until I ruined a buffer extension because the wrench isn't a full loop and the tab dug all through the threading on the tube. I've never had any problems with the full loop ones.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:55:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I used the tapco for a long time until I ruined a buffer extension because the wrench isn't a full loop and the tab dug all through the threading on the tube. I've never had any problems with the full loop ones.
View Quote

If you used it for "years" and suddenly had an issue with ONE receiver extension... it isn't the wrench. Sorry, but you had other parts out of spec.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If you used it for "years" and suddenly had an issue with ONE receiver extension... it isn't the wrench. Sorry, but you had other parts out of spec.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is/ was probably in the same boat as me.  There would be an occasional slip or slight damage to the castle nut or extension but nothing that would be more than cosmetic.  One day, it slips and cause serious damage.  The fact is that a closed end/ loop castle nut wrench section is less likely to slip and cause damage.  There is no disputing that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#24]
+1 for magpul. I don't like the closed design of the castle nut wrench, but it works.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top