Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2016 3:50:55 AM EDT
I emailed Elftmann about their speed safeties. I'm (patiently) waiting for the "industry standard" right side push for fire model. Am I the only one here? I'll be all over that for a normal setup. I have zero desire to get accustomed to a LEFT side push to fire (going against ANY other firearm. As said, the INDUSTRY standard is "right side push" to fire). Is anyone else waiting for this as well?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:32:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought a couple of the ambidextrous models and installed them in a couple of rifles. I like them A LOT. They are selling in N. TX.

For me, I just practiced with them enough to be fully comfortable with them in use and carried on. I learn the shit the way it works and run with it. Works fine for me
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:37:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Unlike you, I'm not willing to untrain my brain. The industry standard is right side push for "fire" and that is how it should be. I'll be willing to try this product if they conform to the standard. I have multiple shotguns which all have the crossbolt safety (as said, they are industry standard "right side push to fire"). I'll not change for the sake of change. If Elftmann decides to do it the proper way... I'll be all in.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I guess they've been getting asked about this issue by a lot of people. I received a reply that they are already looking into it and working with designers to possibly make it happen.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a little conflicted on the issue.  This thread is the first I've heard of this safety but the idea is interesting.

I'm quite used to using my thumb to disengage the safety/put the rifle in to fire mode.  I don't think this would create an issue for me.

The bigger concern is that as a right handed shooter, with the rifle slung the left side of the receiver lays against my body, it wouldn't take much for the safety to become disengaged when I don't have a hand on the rifle the way it is set up now.  Seems it would be safer to have it as the OP mentioned, for a right handed shooter anyway.

Disengaging the safety with my trigger finger would require a bit more retraining for me but I think it's the better option.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top