Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2016 12:54:17 PM EDT
I tried doing a search and I must not be hitting the correct key words.  Tried rail covers, rails and covers.  

I am stuck trying to figure out what rail covers to go with. I have a Yankee Hill Diamond series Specter length free float rail on my AR right now.  I have narrowed it down to 3 options.  

ERGO Grip 18-Slot Ladder Style Low-Pro Rail Covers

Magpul Enhanced XTM Picatinny Rail Cover Panels

Magpul XT Textured Picatinny Rail Cover Panel - 6.5"

I will be covering most of the rail space for now.  Only thing going on it at the moment is a Magpul front sight.  

Any using any of these and have an opinion one way or the other?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I can comment on the two Magpul options. The feel for both is very similar and so is overall size or "girth". Between the two they are both modular in reference to length, one you cut to length and the other you add on more or less pieces (XTM enhanced). The XTM enhanced can be mixed and matched with colors if that's what you want, also wires for light switches can be tucked underneath. I think it really comes down to looks mostly IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks  seej333.

So it is basically a coin toss for you?  I wasn't sure how the XTMs would be, thinking they would be just like a regular plastic forearm.  Where the XTs are rubber.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the ladder rail covers - they're perfect for me. Comfortable to hold and add no girth to the rail.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Synyster06Gates

Thanks.  I have an Ergo pistol grip on my AR and I really like it.  

I found the ladders for $8.99 each or $24.99 for a 3 pack.  They aren't going to cover my whole rail so I would need to get 6 strips and then cut them to fit.

The Magpul XTMs I found for $4.99 a pack of 4.  Since they are only 1.5 inches long I would need to go with 6 packs of those

Going with the XTMs saves me $20, are the ladders really worth it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Synyster06Gates

I found the ladders for $8.99 each or $24.99 for a 3 pack.  They aren't going to cover my whole rail so I would need to get 6 strips and then cut them to fit.

The Magpul XTMs I found for $4.99 a pack of 4.  Since they are only 1.5 inches long I would need to go with 6 packs of those

Thanks
View Quote

I got lucky because I used the DD Omega 9 - they were a perfect fit. I really lke them though. I have never used the XTMs, but it seems like they'd make the handguard wider,

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks again for the reply.  Nice looking rifle.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#7]
seej333

You have any issues with gaps between the XTMs?  Wondering because they are 1.5" pieces if there is a gap that things get caught on or are they pretty tight fit when lined up down the rail?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I use the Magpul XT covers at 3, 6, and 9 o clock, and the ladder rails at 12. Larue index clips look awesome but I have never used them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#10]
LaRue Index Clips are my favorite.

Another option is china made index clips which comes with 60 index clips, 8 Under-Wire index clips,  4 Over-Wire index clips and 2 Hand Stops. I have these on all my rails. LaRue's Index Clip prices used to be very high, but they have significantly lowered their prices on Index Clips over the years.

Index Clips are extremely versatile and really do a great job managing wires. I think they look and feel great too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Please don't advise people to put Chinese airsoft counterfeit crap on their riflles.  Really?
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Tagged for more info.

I'm looking for the ladder type. Not the flat, but something more pronounced if someone can suggest something
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:07:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I prefer the rail ladders.  Low profile and good texture.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:31:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Ladders for me...on the sides and bottom mainly to protect the rails when I'm resting or propping the gun on a barricade.

I used to run XT and later XTM but got tired of the added weight and girth.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#15]
asp supply sells really good quality rail covers for like half the price of magpul I couldn't tell the deference between them
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I like Knight's rail covers for the parts I'm going to have contact with and ladders for other parts so I don't snag the grooves on things (like my arm...).  I like that Knight's covers are really solidly retained, but not every rail (or every place I'm going to put a rail cover) has the relief cuts for the Knight's latch.

ProMag's rail covers are an inexpensive alternative to KAC's, with similar bulk and texture.  Ergo makes a similar rail cover that's flatter and has a good texture as well.

Promag

Ergo

To be honest, I've used UTG's chunky 2.5" covers at times, and they feel pretty good.  They're just too bulky for a full cover.

I just got a pack of LaRue index clips and a pair of hand stops, but I haven't messed with them.  I'm looking forward to trying them out.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Hogue has a new style but it looks like they only have it for keymod right now.
https://www.hogueinc.com/tacrifles/ar15/keymod 
. Limited use but it is something a little different.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#19]

On my carbine here I'm mainly using Magpul Enhanced XTM rail panels on the sides, XTM Hand Stop kit at the bottom and LaRue Index Clips at the top rail.

Before I used the LaRue Indes Clips I was just either using some XTM panels with small gaps between the panels or Magpul ladder covers.

Ladder covers protects hands, gloves and gear from the sharp picatinny rails but it have no heat and impact protection, then I tried XTM panels on top but kind of bulky, finally the Index Clips is a good compromise of less bulk and rail protection.

My only slight drawback with the XTM panels is when I want to use my QD vertical forward grip it is slower to remove the panel by using two bullet tips or tools.

If I plan on using my vertical forward grip ahead of time I usually remove the bottom front XTM panel and use my short panel Knight's Armament or TangoDown which could be removed quickly by unlocking the front end.

I also used Knight's Armament, ProMag and TangoDown different lengths of rail covers but it made the rails felt wider, and their fit on the rails varies some are snug and some have a little movement.

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#20]
amazon has cheap rail covers look just like ergo ladder rails  for 3.99  not 34 dollars

http://www.amazon.com/Ladder-Cover-Resistent-Weaver-Picatinny/dp/B00D8TZ8N4/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456792644&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=picatinney+ladder+rail+cover

tell me you can tell the difference
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 3:02:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
seej333

You have any issues with gaps between the XTMs?  Wondering because they are 1.5" pieces if there is a gap that things get caught on or are they pretty tight fit when lined up down the rail?

Thanks
View Quote

Tight fit.

The top rail has Ergo ladder covers on it.  I tried them on the sides but I liked the Magpul covers better.  Girth?  I have big hands, I have no problem.  Weight?  You're kidding, right?  The plastic bag and cardboard that they came in weigh more than the rail covers.  

Just realized this is an old pic.  The vfg went away, and I pulled two of the rail covers off the right side so I can mount a TLR-1 HP if needed.  

One of these days I'll disassemble it and remove the useless carry handle.  No desire to pull apart a perfectly functioning rifle at this point.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 11:35:37 PM EDT
[#22]
used to use XTM's but they added to much girth to an already large rail a YHM Diamond series,I need to upgrade to a slimmer rail but using ladder rail covers its a lot better..

the XTM covers were great it was just the size that seemed excessive..
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 12:26:05 AM EDT
[#23]
After looking into nearly every rail cover option available on the planet, I decided I really liked the low profile of ladder rail covers.

So then I looked into every ladder rail cover available....   and ended up going with Surefire ladder rail covers.

They have a bit more of a shaped profile than most available, and that, along with great reviews, is what ended up selling me on them.  They look sharp.

They were very easy to install, just cut them to length and push them on.

The material is a firm rubber, dense but not brittle or plasticy.

They offered the grip and protection I was looking for, and feel comfortable in the hand.

Heres a crappy pic.

Good luck on your search, hope you find what you're after.

" />

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Too bad they discontinued those!
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I got lucky because I used the DD Omega 9 - they were a perfect fit. I really lke them though. I have never used the XTMs, but it seems like they'd make the handguard wider,

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1449/24226324722_06d0227931_h.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Synyster06Gates

Thanks

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1449/24226324722_06d0227931_h.jpg

Magpul buttstock?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Tried several over the years.

Now all my rails are covered with ladder rail covers.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top