Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/26/2015 10:52:38 AM EDT
I just recieved my Colt LE6920 magpul edition last week. I have not had a chance to fire it yet but I'm extremely happy with the fit and finish of the gun. I'm looking to get a sling for it now. I'm wanting a 1 point sling. This AR is going to be used as my patrol rifle at work. Any recommendations? Also what else would I need to purchase, such as adapters?
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you looked in the "Slings & Accessories" section in the AR15 section here?  There are some good discussions and debates about all sling related matters.  That said, is there a reason you settled on a single-point sling vs. a two-point sling?  There are places and scenarios for both, and I'm not saying one is always better than the other for all shooters or conditions.  You mention the application will be for your patrol rifle at work.  Will you be doing mainly "static" types of duty?...standing, stationary guard post type stuff...or will you be required to occasionally move and maybe even run with your AR?  Have you used a single point sling on a relatively full length AR like your Colt before.  Our SWAT guys use single points on their MP5's and SBR's for building entry and similar applications.  They seem to work well in those scenarios, but they almost always have at least one hand on the weapon to steady it...and usually both hands.  Even with short weapons, they tell me the single point sling allows the weapon to bounce and swing too freely if they have to do much running.  For a longer rifle a single point sling "can" let the rifle become a fairly unwieldy pendulum.  I did a 2-day SWAT class this past summer and tried one stage with a quality single-point sling that I have, and I was using a Tavor which is closer to your SBR's and SMG's.  During the fast moving and running scenario, the rifle bounced and swung way too much.  Going to the 2-point sling brought a lot more control and comfort.  

I am not poo-pooing your idea of using the single-point.  Just asking what scenario you'll be using it in to get the best application.  Maybe the best choice could be a sling setup like a Magpul MS3 or such that allows you to have one sling that transforms quickly from a single to a double.  Then you have a sling setup for every purpose.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with the above poster, a 2 point would probably be a better choice.  I like the Viking Tactics VTAC, but the Blue Force Gear Vickers slings are nice as well.  I like QD swivels / mounts, and IWC (Impact Weapon Components) makes some mounts that will fit you existing stock and handguards.

If you are set on a single point first determine which sling you want.  Then you will need an adapter that will work with the sling's attachment method.  Usually either an HK-style hook, a mash hook, or just webbing attachment.  Most single point mounts replace your existing endplate, but since your endplate / castle nut is staked in place you might consider a clamp-on adapter from  GG&G or Midwest Industries.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for a 2 pt. It's not a bad idea to wear a cup if you go the single pt route.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not military or leo, but have been very pleased with the versatility of the Magpul MS4. One- or two-point with qd's on both ends and quickly/easily adjusts for length. Comes in a generous length for use with a vest or plate carrier. I attached it via a receiver latch plate with an integrated qd cup for single-point and a second qd cup mounted on the side of the hand guard for 2-point. I personally prefer single-point in all occasions that allow at least one hand on the weapon, but it doesn't lend itself well to scaling obstacles, or I would imagine, using a handgun as a primary in a run-and-gun scenario.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 3:59:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree with the above poster, a 2 point would probably will be a better choice.  I like the Viking Tactics VTAC, but the Blue Force Gear Vickers slings are nice as well.  I like QD swivels / mounts, and IWC (Impact Weapon Components) makes some mounts that will fit you existing stock and handguards.

If you are set on a single point first determine which sling you want.  Then you will need an adapter that will work with the sling's attachment method.  Usually either an HK-style hook, a mash hook, or just webbing attachment.  Most single point mounts replace your existing endplate, but since your endplate / castle nut is staked in place you might consider a clamp-on adapter from  GG&G or Midwest Industries.
View Quote

THIS.

Emphasis added.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#6]
you could also get a custom sling made.

i got mine from Foxdentactical.com

it's a 1 & 2 point sling.
65" in silver & black

Link Posted: 12/26/2015 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I would strongly recommend considering a 2 point sling. Both the VCAS and VTAC slings are great. I prefer a padded VCAS myself.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the MS3 for a 1 or 2 point sling on rifles with hook attachment points and the MS4 for a rifle with 3 flush cups.
2 point is much better for carrying but I can't shoot weak side (if needed) with a 2 point.
1 point has the advantage if more flexibility (weak or strong side shooting or sidearm) is required.
With a convertible sling I have both.

Joe
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#9]
One of the magpul slings you can go from 2 to 1 point
Or
VCAS or VTAC and a IWC triglide

This way you can convert to a 2 point once you get tired of the 1 point flopping around.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Honestly after using about every sling and configuration possible while I was in the .mil . Single point slings are TERRIBLE unless you are putting it on an AR pistol or >12'' SBR, the bungee single points are especially shitty. FAR too much movement and bouncing around and if you have to run you're going to be sucking dick for nickles while your rifle is beating the shit out of your nutsack.  I would get a quality 2 point for a 16'' carbine.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#11]
If you're going to buy a single point sling, you better pick up a cup too.  Try running w/a single on your AR, your balls will get beat like Ike hitting Tina...
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 7:37:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Probably the ultimate sling option available at the moment is the Blue Force Gear Vickers 221 sling.  All the quick adjustable goodness of the VCAS sling, with the option to instantly convert it to a single point for those times when a single point is beneficial.  Available padded or unpadded, and with the RED swivel option, which after using for awhile now, I really like.  It's pricey and you'll have to put QD socket attachment points on your rifle, but you'll never want another sling after using it for awhile.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 8:11:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you all for the replies and sorry, I honestly didn't know there was a section for slings. I'm using an iPhone and didn't know the sections went past maintenance and cleaning section.

The AR will basically be riding in the rear of my patrol vehicle until needed. I don't really have an exact way that it will be used. It could be used for setting up a perimeter for an armed robbery suspect or an active shooter situation.

I'm not necessary completely set on the 1 point sling. I just like the ability to us both hands or having the ability to fire either on my strong or weak side for building clearing.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 9:44:39 PM EDT
[#15]
If you want to be able to use both hands, without hitting yourself in the balls while moving, go with a 2 point. If you set it up right and train, you can use it both strong and weak shoulders.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 2:15:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought a Specter Gear 3 point a while back (2002?) because one option they offered was a buttstock adapter that let me use it without having to figure out a rear sling mount point.  I got used to carrying the 3 point around, and liked it.  

Last fall I got into the AR game (finally caught the 300blk bug) and now I have two 16" carbines.  I found these slings and bought two last month.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sig-Sauer-3-In-1-Tactical-QD-Quick-Detach-Sling-/390899242237?hash=item5b036914fd:g:yFAAAOSwd4tT2YVT

For $15 it's hard to go wrong.  There's enough webbing to use it as a 2 point, and until tonight both carbines had them setup as 1 point with the 3 point loop setup as the loop.  I thought I'd have to wrap the extra qd in something to keep it from annoying me but it basically disappeared.  

Tonight the 5.56 (with usgi handguards) got an aluminum rail on the top, and a Magpul RSA-QD and now I know the other carbine is getting a front sling mount too.  I just need to sort out a front sling qd point for a Magpul MOE handguard setup.  I hate the 1 point sling.  Absolutely no way to keep the barrel from swinging wildly around.  I never tried running with it but for damn sure I'd want both hands on it or like the others have said, I'd either be in pain or wearing a cup.  

I like the 3 point setup.  There is an idiot reviewing the exact sling I bought on youtube, obviously knows nothing about 3 point slings because he says the buckle does nothing.  BS.  Releasing the buckle gives you a bunch (about 6" on my setup) more sling slack, enough to cross shoulder or do some weird position.  The Specter Gear on my l1a1 releasing the buckle makes it act almost like a really slack 1 point sling.  That rifle is quite a bit heavier though...
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want to be able to use both hands, without hitting yourself in the balls while moving, go with a 2 point. If you set it up right and train, you can use it both strong and weak shoulders.
View Quote

THIS----^

I set mine up with options for both (as someone said above) This one rides with me on patrol and for SWAT duty.

An adjustable two point is the best setup for the majority of situations. The Magpul MS4 has plenty of length to use with armor, or it can be adjusted shorter. It takes just a couple of seconds to swap your QDs around and have a single point.

I put a QD on the stock, opposing side of rail, and the receiver endplate.

I use two point for everything except clearing large buildings where offhand transitions are the norm to clear corners / hallways. Use the single point for that, and you can switch up easier without unslinging.

For anything other than actively using it, a single point will have your gun beating you to death, and you will still end up with only one hand free, because you are always trying to keep it from swinging.

-Tim
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I've always used a single point.  Mine is the Blackhawk Storm.  It's a nice sling, and I really like the flexibility of the single point.  

Regarding getting hit in the balls...  It's a possibility.  Although I would either be holding the rifle, or have it rotated around onto my back if running.  Depends on the circumstance.  It's personal preference.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 1:24:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I have both a single and 2-point sling for my carbine. If you are going to do a lot vehicular work, then the single point
will serve you well. For general work, a 2-point sling will serve you best.

As a side note, a properly designed (and worn) single point sling will not hit your nuts when doing movement.
If it is worn properly, it will fall away towards your non-dominant side (opposite your sidearm).
Yes, it will swing about, but it will be off to the side, not in front. Again, use a 2-point for most things and a single-point for
working in vehicles.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I am in the 1pt sling that goes to 2pt. I prefer QD to hooks, but that is preference.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Magpul convertible MS with the hooks would be my choice for OP
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#22]
If you are going to be using it on patrol, get the Vickers 221. 99% of the time you will use it in two point. The on;y time I go to singlre point is for entries.

I tell guys all the time.. You want to run a single point.. go find a baseball bat and whack yourself in the nuts. Atleast then you will know whats coming in the days ahead.

Ive been that guy

Link Posted: 1/10/2016 3:05:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Best way to run a single point sling is out...

to the trash can.

Get a VCAS or a VTAC and maybe the single point adapter if you really want to have that option available, but if you learn to do proper transitions on a good adjustable two point then the need for single point really becomes obsolete in my opinion unless you just really like to get nut checked or have your barrel stuffed in the dirt when you have to go hands on and pick shit up off the ground.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I really like the Tactical Link Convertible 2-1 pt. sling.

http://www.tacticallink.com/AR15-M4-Convertible-Bungee-Sling.html
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#25]
In my opinion, there is no better single-point sling setup than the S&S Precision Sling Clip with Low Profile Adjustable sling.

It provides the advantages of a single-point sling (which is mainly while shooting) while offering very simple retention while not having the gun in a ready or firing position (the only time I ever want the 2-point).

It does require an endplate sling mount that can handle the HK hook (e.g., CQD, ASAP) and a forward rail for mounting the Sling Clip. They also just released M-LOK and KeyMod versions of the Sling Clip if that's your flavor.

https://www.sandsprecision.com/weapon-retention/sling-sling-clip-combo-pack.html

ETA: The Sling Clip can also be "clipped" onto your pants or molle webbing if you need to retain the weapon in a pinch. The cost has really come down on these (I remember when just the Sling Clip was pushing $100).

Here's the M-LOK Sling Clip (you can find the sling on their Web site), which will work perfectly with your MOE handguards:
https://www.sandsprecision.com/weapon-retention/slingcliptm-m-lok.html
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 12:06:07 AM EDT
[#26]
1 point slings (Wolf Hook type) have a very specific purpose and are very good for those that need them. For a civilian shooter going to the range once a month, get a two point.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top