Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2015 11:41:57 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I finally got around to doing this mod.  I've had the parts sitting around forever and finally had an A2 stock body arrive for my build.  Downside with that is the A1 and A2 stocks don't have QD swivels unless you buy the expensive KAC stock or the goofy adapter.  For $20 and 10 minutes of work, here's how you do it.

Also, don't be an excitable idiot like me.  Measure twice, drill once per side.  I got mine in, but they are slightly off from each other.  

What you'll need:

-Grovtec GTSW-295 threaded cup and swivel set ($12 or so on Amazon)
-1/2" drill bit
-1/4" allen wrench
-two part epoxy or JB Weld (I used Locktite 3000# two part)
-razor blade

OPTIONAL- flat nut to fit acme thread on the QD cup.  I didn't think I'd need it, but if anyone wants extra security, go for it.

Dismount and disassemble your stock.  Locate where you want your swivels to go.  Personally I based mine off the VLTOR clubfoot I was taking off the rifle.  Cover back of the stock with masking tape to prevent chips, and mark the spots you want the cups installed.

Take your 1/2" bit and align it over the spot at a 90% angle to the curve of the stock and drill.  If it is a solid stock, mark the depth of the cup on the bit with some masking tape.  If it's a hollow A style, just go through.

Route out the holes a bit more since the cup is a hair over 1/2".  I just put the bit at a 75 degree angle or so and rotated it around the hole.  Upside is this takes some of the foam out from the inside of the stock as well.

Test thread the cup into the hole you drilled.  If you need to open it up a hair go for it, just slow and stead on that.  You want the threads to grip.

Clean up any rough spots with the razor.

Once you can thread the cup in easily, you are ready for final installation.  Mix your epoxy and coat the inside of the hole with a thin layer before screwing the cup back in.  The allen wrench helps get the cup nice and snug in the hole.  

Fill in/around the cup inside the stock, making sure to coat the threads and get into the V shaped hole in the foam around the cup.  DO NOT get epoxy into the hole in the back of the cup.  This will also make a V shaped plug of hardened epoxy to support the cup under stress.

Do the same outside of the stock to fill in any gaps.

Let set, reassemble, and enjoy.

Link Posted: 11/15/2015 11:58:42 PM EDT
[#1]
It would be 10,000 times easier to buy the Noveske sling swivel mount.

http://www.noveske.com/products/flush-qd-sling-mount

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:02:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I didn't know they made those.

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#3]
No worries. Looks like you did a good job.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:04:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Very similer to how I did one of my 607 stocks.  I'm a machinist and cheap bastid, so I machined my own QD socket and backing plate that goes inside the stock.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:07:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Very similer to how I did one of my 607 stocks.  I'm a machinist and cheap bastid, so I machined my own QD socket and backing plate that goes inside the stock.
http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/T00lmanii/twinscqbr5_zpsqsp8xuxc.png

Dude, that is freaking beautiful
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:10:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks NP..........and great write-up on your part. I always like to see projects and write-ups that others have done.   There's lots of ingenuity lurking within these forums.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:16:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks NP..........and great write-up on your part. I always like to see projects and write-ups that others have done.   There's lots of ingenuity lurking within these forums.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks  Although RTDCU (I think is the letter order) 's build threads just blow me freaking away.  Dude is a mechanical genius.  Some of the folks here just amaze me.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:04:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I did this. M16 QD Mount

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 2:54:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nice rifle, what length is the barrel?
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a 10.3 DD 300BLK............sort of a cousin to my CQBR, but everything black.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's a mapul ACS-L I did with the Noveske, it worked out nicely as the nut winds up in the compartment. Your method is sound too and works well, I'd likely add a nut to the backside of your Grov-tec's purely for hard pull out prevention.  I've used the GT's couple of times on hollow plastic stocks with no problems, but I've mostly used them on wood/laminate stocks, where I tap&die the wood and then epoxy and screw them in and they won't ever move.

And the IWC QD Micro Flush mount usually works well too within it's needed dimensions, and would likely work on the fixed stocks easily.
IWC QD mount
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here's a mapul ACS-L I did with the Noveske, it worked out nicely as the nut winds up in the compartment. Your method is sound too and works well, I'd likely add a nut to the backside of your Grov-tec's purely for hard pull out prevention.  I've used the GT's couple of times on hollow plastic stocks with no problems, but I've mostly used them on wood/laminate stocks, where I tap&die the wood and then epoxy and screw them in and they won't ever move.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t274/Tomb007/20150614_090025_resized.jpg

And the IWC QD Micro Flush mount usually works well too within it's needed dimensions, and would likely work on the fixed stocks easily.
IWC QD mount
View Quote

I've gone through and made a 'puck' of epoxy around the cups to make sure they don't budge. If I'd thought of it before hand I would have though. The how to was an after the fact idea.

Things to remember though
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#14]
tag for potential bolt action rifle stock modification.....
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
tag for potential bolt action rifle stock modification.....
View Quote

They do threaded and 'ringed' ones that have grooves for adhesive that both work great.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top