Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2015 9:16:17 PM EDT
What is that threadlocking compound you guys use on your mounting screws? It's brownish tan in color and nothing like any of the Loctite threadlockers I'm used to.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't remember the exact name of the brand they all use but it is typically only supplied to large manufactures.  A nearly identical product is called Vibra-Tite VC-3.  You can get it from numerous places.  A small amount goes a long way, you use very little.  It's not like a Loctite because you can remove the coated screw numerous times.  It works off of friction to hold the screw in place.

I use it on all my grip screws (I use stainless Allen cap screws) instead of the flat head screws most grips come with and most any other screw I don't want coming loose but don't want to lock in place with Loctite.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 1:35:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd guess Rockset, but Rockset dries kind of a beige color.

Shit's boss as hell though
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 8:26:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd guess Rockset, but Rockset dries kind of a beige color.

Shit's boss as hell though
View Quote

It is not Rockset.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 2:22:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Vibra-Tite.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not applied separately.

They send their screws or purchase screws with the polymer patch already installed. Are you talking about the yellow patch found on the Magpul grip screws and buttstock screws?
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They send their screws or purchase screws with the polymer patch already installed. Are you talking about the yellow patch found on the Magpul grip screws and buttstock screws?
View Quote

Yes I am. I notice that when a screw is removed the patch becomes crumbly. Do you know what that stuff is and where it can be purchased?
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Blue loctite.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Blue loctite.
View Quote

Oh c'mon. No it isn't.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I wish Magpul would chime in here with the skinny.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes I am. I notice that when a screw is removed the patch becomes crumbly. Do you know what that stuff is and where it can be purchased?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't buy exactly what they use, they buy the screws with it already on there.  Use Vibra-tite VC3, it is the same thing but red and can be purchased in small qtys.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You can't buy exactly what they use, they buy the screws with it already on there.  Use Vibra-tite VC3, it is the same thing but red and can be purchased in small qtys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just ordered the small tube of VC3 from Amazon for $4.
Thank you for your responses.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Oh c'mon. No it isn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blue loctite.

Oh c'mon. No it isn't.

That's what you get from LaRue in a small tube.

Also, Loctite makes blue Loctite in stick format for manufacturing use. Swipe on the threads and assemble at a later time.

Wes

Link Posted: 11/15/2015 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blue loctite.

Oh c'mon. No it isn't.

Also, Loctite makes blue Loctite in stick format for manufacturing use. Swipe on the threads and assemble at a later time.

Wes

http://www.al-attas.net/home/images/afim/8060_8065_561_268_248_loctite_sticks.jpg
http://www.al-attas.net/home/images/afim/8060_8065_561_268_248_loctite_sticks.jpg
http://guideimg.alibaba.com/images/shop/2015/09/08/79/loctite-248-quickstix-442-37684-9g-thread-treatment-stick_6651779.jpeg

Interesting. I didn't know that Loctite came in stick form too.
Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I have had a stick of the blue loctite for years and it works great.  I don't have the issue of it leaking all over my tool box as well.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Magpul magically appears in threads to defend their products from scruitiny, yet when someone asks about what dope is the BUIS Pro LR or what is that cool threadlocker you guys use on your screws...

Crickets.

Camon Magpul, I know your here. Watching.

Maybe this will speed things up:

Hey I hear your polymer magazines cracks along the spine when dropped!

*waits in corner for Magpul to appear*
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#16]
It's most likely ND Patch (yellow) but Vibra-Tite VC3 is nearly identical (it's red instead of yellow) and can be purchased in small qtys.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Magpul magically appears in threads to defend their products from scruitiny, yet when someone asks about what dope is the BUIS Pro LR or what is that cool threadlocker you guys use on your screws...

Crickets.

View Quote

SOP for Magpul.  Ask a question about their stuff and they never show up.  Say a Pmag cracked and we get educated.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

SOP for Magpul.  Ask a question about their stuff and they never show up.  Say a Pmag cracked and we get educated.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crickets.

Yes, I'm very disappointed with him. I sent an email and an IM both of which went unanswered.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's been a long-standing company policy of ours to not discuss material technology or production methods for our products.  However, I can say that we use a polymer self-locking compound on nearly all of our threaded fasteners to prevent vibration loosening .  It can be reused a number of times, but continued removal and installation will eventually wear it out.  If you ever get to that point any number of aftermarket anti-vibe or locking compounds can be used.
View Quote

Thank you Justin. I appreciate your response.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:13:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's been a long-standing company policy of ours to not discuss material technology or production methods for our products.  However, I can say that we use a polymer self-locking compound on nearly all of our threaded fasteners to prevent vibration loosening .  It can be reused a number of times, but continued removal and installation will eventually wear it out.  If you ever get to that point any number of aftermarket anti-vibe or locking compounds can be used.
View Quote

So how about that LR Pro rear sight? Can you tell us the dope on the elevation knob?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#23]
I believe it's called Nylok.

If they don't use Nylok - it's a similar product.

http://nylok.com/products
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I believe it's called Nylok.

If they don't use Nylok - it's a similar product.

http://nylok.com/products
View Quote

Going to that website it looks like their Nytemp is an exact match. Mystery solved!
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:08:29 PM EDT
[#25]
looks like it
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah...but where can you buy it? I cannot find a US vendor on the web.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 12:05:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yeah...but where can you buy it? I cannot find a US vendor on the web.
View Quote

You cannot buy small qtys of Nylok.  You can buy small tubes or jars of Vibra-Tite VC3 from Amazon cheap.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Blue loctite.

Oh c'mon. No it isn't.

Wes

http://guideimg.alibaba.com/images/shop/2015/09/08/79/loctite-248-quickstix-442-37684-9g-thread-treatment-stick_6651779.jpeg
didnt know this was available,im off to buy some blue

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top