Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2015 7:22:28 PM EDT
Hi All,
Definite newb here. New to the forum and the platform. I've been reading a ton and watching videos like crazy.

I decided to build my own lower and am currently gathering the components.

What I'm stuck on is the decision on the hand guard. I love the classic look of the A2 sight so I'm not looking at a free float rail... at least not yet ;)

Anyway, I'm curious to hear what veterans of the platform think.

This will be for strictly civilian use, although I'm sure I can come up with some accessories to put on it.

Thanks!  And apologies if this post doesn't belong here.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally I prefer the MOE for its creature comforts. It deals with heat very well and keeps your hands from being burned. It also has attachable rail sections for lights etc. I find the moe much more comfortable to hold as well rather than a rail. However a rail makes moving things around like lights a lot easier.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 11:40:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I have ONE AR with a FF (non rail) fore end. I hate FF fore ends. They do not feel comfortable to me, nor do I trust them to withstand the abuse a polymer handguard can take. I like MOE, and "stock" taper style handguards the most. If you're not going to mount everything and the kitchen sink on your fore end, and are not concerned about wringing out the last 1/8th MOA out of your setup... you may want to stick with handguards (as I do). To each their own.

EDIT: sorry, I'm an idiot. I though you meant railed FF, not "drop in".  In this case, I'd stick with the MOE and get specific mounts for the few things you'd probably mount on it (light, and ??). It will be FAR more comfortable for you (and FAR lighter as well).
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I got both around the same time and currently have the MOE installed. I like the looks of the drop-in quad rail, but I just don't have a need for all that rail space. The only thing I have attached is a light. I might swap out to try the quad rail sometime, but it doesn't really add anything for me. The MOE is easier for me to grip unless I add a VFG or AFG to the quad rail (or rail panels). You can always buy both and see which one you like best.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#4]
i like the MOE...

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input.  I think I'll start w/ the MOE...  I like the look of it w/ a vertical fore grip and can always change it later.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Go MOE.  I'm a fan of the KAC drop in old school look as well, but I would still go MOE, unless you're doing a clone.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 11:30:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Not a fan of the MOE because it gets really cramped when you toss a light on it. I also like to hold further out than the MOE allows. Sold my MOE on gunbroker to a guy in california for $5 more than I paid for it. Switched to a 12" Midwest Industries free float rail and couldn't be happier.

Just starting out though, MOE is a pretty good choice. Get the hang of shooting and then beware, your gun will turn into a project car in no time flat.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 11:49:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the MOE-SL fore-end much better than the old MOE one. I changed all mine out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 2:27:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the MOE-SL fore-end much better than the old MOE one. I changed all mine out.
View Quote

I like the Magpul SL handguard as well.  It's a little thinner and gives you a little more length under the front site.  You do have to remove your sling swivel.  The SL line only comes in M-lok, you don't have to worry about getting old MOE mounting stock.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're not building a clone gun, which it doesn't sound like you are, the MOE is likely the better choice between the two. It will save you weight and money, and still allow you to mount a light.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#11]
my thoughts
the rail came into existence to mount large lasers for airsupport in the late 90s the VFG was to aid in holding up a very front heavy rifle and offer purchase whwen stuff was mounted at 3:00, 9:00 so a traditional grip was impossible

the problem with rails is weight. & cost
the problem with the MOE is free floating if that is a need. and will accessories mounted to it hold zero or be secure enough to survive use.  

as a noob you need a build ethos

I like to try to keep my carbine m4 looking & feeling - I carried one for many years  I prefer 7-9lbs  & in this build my goal was a streamlined  but balanced build for night vision compatibility.   I knew I was going to put on alot of stuff  I needed  ir illum, white light, ir laser , and my eotech.   I wanted the rifle to need only one type of battery & to be able to remove & replace all accessories without tools,  his pic was try 3.   I am now going a whole different direction the tech has gotten much better in 1 year.  

if your main goal is accuracy  get a free float rail, if it is light weight get the moe if you plan to put on lots of stuff rails, if you want a specific color Moe.
I trust rails to hold lasers to zero more than i do handguards.

I babel on to show you where your heading  it may take a long time & lots of coin to get something right & by then you may want a whole new updated setup.  

the knigts RAS on my carbine I purchased in 2004 for $100 it has been on 3different carbines keep things like that in mind.

I really like the MOE esp on rifle length systems where rails may weigh 2.5 lbs.  I just think rails are more durable and simpler the MOE is possibly more versitile.  
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top