Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2015 11:01:51 PM EDT
Need to see if I am crazy or not. Looking at buying a new gun case but not sure if I should spend the money on a pelican or not. I have looked at the Larue cases also. I use my gun at a couple of different ranges and varmint hunting a little. I have some good money in my gun and optic which is a Noveske with a Leupold Mark 6 optic.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:30:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Pelican is top of the mark.  I store a lot of video equipment in their cases and have never suffered a casualty in multiple overseas adventures.  I recommend Pelican to anyone who ask..
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:46:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Consider how much you have invested and let that be your guide. I'm not real fond of cheap cases. At least go with something that has an ATA rating. If it is rated to stand up to the monkeys at the airport, it should be fine.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:33:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Need to see if I am crazy or not. Looking at buying a new gun case but not sure if I should spend the money on a pelican or not. I have looked at the Larue cases also. I use my gun at a couple of different ranges and varmint hunting a little. I have some good money in my gun and optic which is a Noveske with a Leupold Mark 6 optic.
View Quote

Whats that a $3000+ rifle? Whats 200, 300 for a pelican? I spent that much on my $1600 rifle.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Hard cases are not a necessity in a lot of situations. The only reason I bother with a hard case is whenever I need to carry the rifle in the bed of the truck with all my other crap (steel target stands, etc). Soft cases are going to be fine for pretty much most vehicle transportation.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:16:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Would anyone of you every been able to look at first hand at the Larue covert rifle case? I would have to take upper of my lower to fit but that is not an issue to me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:18:42 PM EDT
[#6]
JBP I have over $4,000 in it with optic.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:51:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I have yet to hear any complaints about the Larue covert case, other than the need to breakdown a rifle-length ar, but if that is a non-issue...
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#8]
If you do not plan on transporting the rifle on commercial aircraft, then a good soft case will suffice.

If you are going to put the rifle on a plane, get a Pelican/Hardigg/Storm case.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:31:37 AM EDT
[#9]
A Pelican is the extreme case (toughness). There is no need to go extreme unless you really need it. A Plano AW hard case, Cabela's tactical hard case, SKB,  etc will serve you just as well (and all are Airline approved). Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Pelican, as IMHO they ARE the best for serious duty protection... however, 95% of people do NOT need the type of protection for their firearm. IMO, save your money, and buy something OTHER than a Pelican.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Pelican is top of the line.  I have a brand new Pelican 1720 that I am willing to let go if anyone is interested, though.  I am picking up my M&P 15 sport in a week and this case is not going to fit that AND my Mossberg!

Edited to add:

I am asking $150 for the case and buyer pays actual shipping unless you are in the Raleigh-Durham area and can pick it up.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top