BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2015 7:25:11 PM EDT
What exactly do they do?

What's the point?

I've never held a rifle that had one on it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had shoulder surgery, helps me with wrist articulation and being capable of handling the AR.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#2]
They make a forward reaching grip a little more ergonomic, more flesh to gun, so assumable more stable.

I'm not a fan, most people you see using them so so in a way that makes it even worse.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought they were just a hand placement reference point. So you grip the same way every time.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:37:18 PM EDT
[#4]
If you tend to hold a forearm like this it would put more of the meat of your palm in contact.

This is one of the inventors- using it right

It is not meant to be used like a half assed VFG

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a feel for one if you're interested, try a gun show or at least order one to trial out. If you don't like it, you can easily sell one here on the EE.

FYI, I don't use them, not for me or the way I shoot which is using the thumb break method with an uncut VFG.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:55:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I wanted one for a long time, had a gift card to Cabelas so said screw it and bought one.

Returned it the next day, it was horrible.

ETA: I was using it on a MOE handguard rather than a quadrail, meaning there was a sizable gap between the AFG and the handguard, that could have been the problem, I don't know.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I used a gift card to buy one, got home and put it on the gun right away, and took it off almost as fast. I just didn't like the way it felt.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#8]
You either love them, or hate them.  Put me in the latter category.

I have 2 that reside in the box'o'stuff that I keep telling myself I am putting on the EE.  I could likely buy a nice LaRue with the value in that box
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I wanted to try on but I didn't want to spend $30+ on something that I might not like.  I got a pts knock off for about $10 shipped with the intention of buying an official afg if I liked it...  used it for about a month and went back to the vfg.  The haley pic gives a great example of the added ergos
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#10]
If you decide you're interested in one, consider this instead of the Magpul.

http://www.lancotactical.com/product_p/ltgs.htm

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:51:55 PM EDT
[#11]

I have one...had it mounted for a month or two and took it off because I could never get used to it after holding rifles the old-fashioned way for 50 years.  If you had a long enough hand guard, I suppose it could make a decent hand-stop....but then why not just get a true hand-stop instead?

I have nothing against an AFG and those who like them...they just weren't for me.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one on my frankenbuild and like it more than the foregrip on my Windham.

" />
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I have one on my MK18 clone and like it. Seems like it works better with carbine length or SBRs for recoil management, and as a hand stop.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#14]
The AFG has its place on certain AR configurations. It certainly comes in handy on AR pistols and ARs with extended length handguards.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I have had a couple of permutations of those kinds of grips.....for me no bueno.
I like the sawed off basic BCM keymod front pistol grip much better.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:57:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Some people love them and some people hate them. I have found that the AFG works for me, moving it farther out on the handguard is more comfortable and it puts my wrist a more natural angle.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 6:48:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Like everyone has said, I think its going to be a personal preference thing.  For me I have it one two of my rifles and don't on two.  The two I don't are a KAC SR-15 Mod 1 which has the handstop panel that I essentially use as an AFG.  The other is my MK18 Mod 0 inspired clone.  Because of this I have the KAC VFG which I only use as a reference point and my hand position is almost the same as if I had an AFG on the gun.  My other guns have them and I have become a big fan.  For me, my body type, preferred grip positioning, hand size, etc. it works and feels very ergonomic.  It is more comfortable and easier on the wrist and it feels like I have taken my thumbs forward pistol grip and just extended my left hand out onto the handguard.  This keeps my thumb near the top rail, close to a C-clamp grip, and places my thumb next to or on my pressure pad for my weapon light.

The best I can say is if you can get your hands on one try it out.  I have found its about 50/50 when people pick up one of my rifles.  Some love it and rave how comfortable it feels, the others say they like my gun, but would take off the AFG.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Currahee's post really nails it.  If you get an AFG out toward the end of a 9+ inch rail, and use a grip where your thumb is over the top of the rail or nearly so (so-called C-clamp grip), then an AFG is really good.

On the other hand, if you use it like the bottom picture in his post, as if it is some kind of independent slanted pistol grip, as opposed to a gap-filler that integrates with the forearm, you probably won't like it.  You also probably won't like it if you have a short rail or try to mount it crowded up against the mag well.  Your wrist will be at an awkward angle.  If you like a "traditional" grip where your support hand actually "supports" the rifle by cradling it, an AFG isn't going to work for you.  It will just be in the way.  

It's designed for a specific type of grip/stance, which requires it to be mounted in a fairly specific location on a rail.  It is a not an "alternate flavor" of VFG.  It's more specialized.  

I have personally found that VFG's used as thumb break style hand stops are better for shorter (8 inch or less) rails, AFG's are perfect for 9-10" rails, and some kind of simple handstop (Larue's is the best I've tried) are better for 11+ inch rails, if you likely to really stretch your support arm way out with a C-clamp style grip.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't like it personally, it just seems a little gimmicky, not that it isn't effective and more comfortable for some. I use the "C-Clamp" type of grip but I just grab the rail. The only forward control device I actually like is the stubby VFG, but even then I still ultimately prefer to just grab the rail / handguard. To each their own I guess but the AFG isn't for me and the only time I ever liked it was on a 12" rail, but not enough to change my mind.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#20]
For some, it helps reduce strain on the wrist and forearm when gripping the front of the rifle.  It's more noticeable when you use a C-clamp grip.

For others, it doesn't really matter, and they're better off without it, or using a VFG to index off of.

I fall in with the first group, and it's actually pretty useful for me.  It's definitely one of those things that you either like or dislike, and you won't figure out until you try it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 1:00:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Most will laugh at this but it works for me,  What I use it for (when the center finger notch is removed)  is I find it fits perfect in standard western fence post across the top, can completely lock down the rifle that way, and get nice into it.  Makes for a heck of a steady rest that way.  As a hand grip? I guess its ok, works good to brace the rifle into a pack as a makeshift bipod/rest when laying down too.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#23]
To me they're just a big piece of plastic that takes up a buncha space and gets in the way on the lower rail.

I used a carbine with one for a few hours one day and it was super annoying.  Working around corners, left handed, VTAC wall, it was always in the way and didn't work worth a shit for leaning against a barricade.   Seems like they'd be ok if you just shoot from the same position with the same stance all the time.  For actual training use, less than useless.  

A properly  VFG placed where you can comfortably use it with either hand, in any position is much more useful.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I have one on my HD shotgun.  I broke my wrist playing hockey in college and it puts my hand at a more comfortable position to rack the slide.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I think I'm going to pull mine off. I don't think it's adding any value.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I dig the AFG personally. On some weapons it's a better option for me than a VFG.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:51:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I've tried it and it was very awkward feeling.Did not feel natural at all.Put me in the hate it camp
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:12:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Not a fan. JMO.  It's too big.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#30]
IMO another way for Magpul to make money with a solution looking for a problem.
More weight, bulk and ugliness. No offense to folks who love it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:46:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I love it on a 12" rail and still like it better than a VFG with a 9" rail

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:50:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 2:31:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a fan. JMO. It's too big.
View Quote

I love the angle, but agree they're too big, so I just cut one down and now I absolutely love it!  Now it's basically an angled hand-stop, which is perfect for the grip that I prefer to use.

I'm a firm believer in using the grip that's comfortable for YOU. I could never understand why you'd change your whole shooting style just to mimic someone else that you saw on a DVD or YouTube video.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I look at accessories and add-on components as a, I'll lead - You follow, game. Of which I don't, generally follow.

Everything out there available has been, and is made from an idea. That idea doesn't necessarily even work for the person who designed it.

The masses, you , me and everyone out there (the guinea pigs) in the firearm community get the opportunity to buy-n-try, and voice opinion good or bad.

This is the internet. Comments a many. Take it like a grain of salt. It's all reference. And those who follow, feed the drive to re-invent the wheel.
What I'm leading to is, your firearm is YOURS. Make it fit YOU. Make your firearm, your appendage, so it feels right as much as your creative minds, contortions and quirks need it to be.

Be a follower of your own self.

Thinking out loud= Off

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#35]
I took the AFG off my 11.5/10" rail rifle a couple weeks ago and replaced it with a VFG.  I did drills from a variety of positions off both shoulders.  This past weekend I put the AFG back on and did similar drills.  For a 9-10" handguard, I remain sold on the concept.  I was much faster, more accurate, and simply more natural feeling with the AFG from any position except kneeling.  But then I don't use either the AFG or a VFG in the "orthodox" way for that position (I slip my hand behind either and use them as sort of reverse handstop).

I'm curious what length and style of handguard all the haters have tried it on?
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#36]
You want a Grip Stop.

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#37]
They were the shit a few years ago.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#38]
I have an AFG on my mid-length rifle and I honestly prefer it since it takes alot of strain off my wrist since it tends to get sore really fast, especially since I try and keep my off hand elbow tucked down and into my body. Its all really personal preference to be honest, only complaint I have was I was dumb enough to buy an AFG2 to put on an M-LOK handguard and the adaptor rail for it covers all the bottom holes on the handguard so my arm heats up really fast after I go through a couple magazines.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#39]
I have one, but it was already on the rifle when I traded for it, I didn't go out and buy one. I like it OK, but I could live without it. It does seem to be a somewhat more natural position for my hand/wrist. As others have said, tailor your rifle to suit your own personal preferences.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top