Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2015 2:19:47 PM EDT
Anybody using detachable carry handles? Can you mount an optic to them and still use the iron sights?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I have 1 KISS rifle that has a detachable carry handle. I'd never mount an optic on it, although it's been done by others many times. The optic is so high up, it's impossible to get a decent cheek weld. A better option if you wanted a scope & irons would be to mount the scope on the rail and use 45 degree offset irons. YMMV.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Most mounts designed for the carry handle have a channel cut in them so that you can still use the iron sights.

Depending on the optic, you may consider getting a gooseneck mount instead so that you can still obtain a decent head/cheek position on the stock
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:01:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I have two with carry handle sights (a middy and a dissy) and one A2 upper that has the carry handle built in.  I don't have optics mounted on any of them mostly because if I wanted optics I"d mount it to the receiver and use flip up BUIS.  

The carry handle equipped AR's are, for my purposes, designed to be simple and rugged.  Optics didn't fit that design.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Mostly I'm looking for a way to have a scope and iron sights at the same time so I can practice with both. The 45-degree mounts look silly. Plus Delta Force. I played that game a ton back in the day and there's some nostalgia in the thought of a handle-mounted optic.

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top