Link Posted: 3/17/2015 6:23:26 PM EDT
[#1]
video is private
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 6:25:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Its fixed!
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Such crap. First shots at 1X bunch of misses. Put the strap around your arm go to 4X on the scope a few hits, tighten it up "because it's loose", and magic you start hitting everything. WTF, over. I know competitive shooters use slings similar in design, but for a combat rifle (not sniper rifle) this serves zero purpose. Nothing but snake oil, but someone will watch the video and think it works. Why not test the sling at 1X period, what you did in this video is deceptive.

ETA: I saw them as misses, I apologize for my tone, I was trying to call you out as much as it just appeared initially you were being creative in making the sling look like it was the whole reason you were hitting the target instead of missing it. I won't delete my comment because that's cowardly, I just wanted to offer my snap reaction and apology.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:55:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Such crap. First shots at 1X bunch of misses. Put the strap around your arm go to 4X on the scope a few hits, tighten it up "because it's loose", and magic you start hitting everything. WTF, over. I know competitive shooters use slings similar in design, but for a combat rifle (not sniper rifle) this serves zero purpose. Nothing but snake oil, but someone will watch the video and think it works. Why not test the sling at 1X period, what you did in this video is deceptive.
View Quote

When he was at 1X he hit 3 out of 4 shots, hardly a "bunch of misses". Have you ever even used a sling as a shooting support? If so, then I don't see how you're questioning this. I don't have a SAP sling nor to I plan to get one, however I have a similar sling and use it to similar effect. It's a very nice way to get a extra accuracy out of the rifle without having to lug around a bipod. I've used my sling on my carbine (far less suited for precision shooting compared to his rifle) with aimpoint to make hits out to 500 that I would not have been able to make without the sling.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:05:34 AM EDT
[#5]
looks like a more expensive version of the Armageddon Gear Precision Rifle Sling, which is a shit hot general purpose sling.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:18:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
looks like a more expensive version of the Armageddon Gear Precision Rifle Sling, which is a shit hot general purpose sling.
View Quote

Funny you mention that because a video review of the Armageddon gear sling was linked as "related" to his video. I liked the Armageddon video enough to that I'm going to order one. It's funny because I think I was the one that turned him on to the SAP sling when I linked a video to a FTW sling and the SAP was "related".
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey, I recognize that range.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:46:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I didn't know the Armageddon sling was a thing... Now I do. Se la vie.

Wait everyone, this is a teaching moment.

I am not gods gift to shooting or the Michael Bay of YouTube, but despite your disbeliefe the sling works as advertised. It gives mechanical advantage to the shooter just as a USGI web sling does and it is quite a practical accessory since it acts as a traditional two point sling and as a shooting aid.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Funny you mention that because a video review of the Armageddon gear sling was linked as "related" to his video. I liked the Armageddon video enough to that I'm going to order one. It's funny because I think I was the one that turned him on to the SAP sling when I linked a video to a FTW sling and the SAP was "related".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why yes you did. I didnt know the SAP sling was a thing until you mentioned it. Now you buy a competing and cheaper product? Shame!

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Not trying to plug one brand over the other, but I definitely recommend the style for 150-500m.  It's really stable and once you get it adjusted and figure out how to use one you'll wonder why nobody came up with it earlier
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not trying to plug one brand over the other, but I definitely recommend the style for 150-500m.  It's really stable and once you get it adjusted and figure out how to use one you'll wonder why nobody came up with it earlier
View Quote

You talking about the Armageddon or just modern shooting slings in general?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:20:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Just the modern slings in general. It makes For a super stable shooting platform. It's kinda like having a sling semi-permanently sniper wrapped. They're awesome for an SDM/full length rifle.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:38:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just the modern slings in general. It makes For a super stable shooting platform. It's kinda like having a sling semi-permanently sniper wrapped. They're awesome for an SDM/full length rifle.
View Quote

I agree that looping your arm through the sling makes shooting from traditional positions much more stable. I do however really like slings with bungees for shoot from semi supported positions like a barricade or post. It allows you to lean into it more. Which is the reason why I wanted to try the Armageddon sling as well as why I like my ftw slings so much.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#14]
For my taste there are too many loose straps flopping about. I don't like my slings to get in the way.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I leave them all the way out to lengthen the sling as such they stay out of the way a bit more.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#17]
It looks good. It doesnt appear to have a quick method of removing the cuff, but the bungie is a great idea.

Add a quick release buckle to the Armageddon and it would be ideal, what do you think? Has anyone received theirs yet?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:34:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#19]
So I shot some 100 yard groups using the FTW carbine sling:

All groups were 10 rounds rapid fire. Technically I used the wrong target as I should have used the SR-21 instead of the MR-1, but this made it more challenging.

Top two groups were prone using sling only, looped around my arm wearing a t-shirt. It felt comfortable, but not quite as natural or tight as my turner NM sling. It's not easily adjustable for length when looped around the arm like the SAP and Armageddon slings are. I am considering replacing this sling for this reason.

Bottom left group was shot slung up using my creedmore coat and glove. While it was more stable than without it, things did not work out well. I did not change the sling length from my coatless shooting (not that I could because I was at max length) and it was way too tight. It caused the rifle to cant significantly.I started out having to muscle the rifle into level during the first few shots, which as you know is not great for accuracy. I eventually tired and just allowed the rifle to cant and those are the shots to the right. Once again, if the sling allowed the length to be adjusted more easily, I think I would have done better.

The bottom right group was shot from sandbags to show the accuracy of the setup. That groups is worse than usual, probably due to a heated up barrel, but I decided to include it since it was shot on the same day with the same optic.

All shots were at 100 yards using 4X on my Steiner 1-4 and M193.

I had done something similar in the past with 5 shot groups and they were much smaller, however 10 shot groups tend to be a lot more difficult. I noticed myself tiring significantly towards the end of every group. I don't experience this much fatigue with the turner sling so I'm thinking better adjustability would go a long way. The FTW carbine is not ideal for this type of shooting, but not terrible. I'm leaning towards the Armageddon.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top