Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2015 3:58:15 AM EDT
I have an SPRish build  with a Midwest Industries SS (not g2) I would like to put a Harris bipod on.  I would like it mounted as low profile as possible to the handguard.  Anyone know of an alternative to the factory mount that sets the bipod off the handguard a good amount?  Possibly a sling stud to mount in one of the holes,  they measure .532" which doesn't seem to match other manufacturers.  Thanks for any ideas.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:34:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd look through the IWC website and see if something will work.  I have a mount n slot on my keymod forend that works great. The holes on the midwest look bigger than the keymod though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I have checked them out.  I'm thinking about just using some sort of sling stud with a backer to catch the hand guard and then fabricating some sort of spacer to keep the stud centered in the hole in the handguard.  In the end I may just end up buying the factory sling mount, I just wanted it to stow as close to the forearm as possible.  I use this gun for hunting and anything hanging off seems to catch brush and snag up on stuff.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:07:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if you could use something like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/290259/harris-bipod-adapter-stud-flange-nut-for-wood-forends-black

On its own, it probably wouldn't clamp onto the rail, however if you just pass the sling stud through one of the holes in the rail, then attach the bipod and tighten it down, the tightening of the bipod onto the outside of the rail's tube should pull the sling stud downward, and thus snug up the plate on this adapter against the inner surface of the tube and hold everything in place.  The bipod has a contoured and padded mounting surface, so it should hug the curvature of the rail and secure it in a strait orientation.

The MI Gen2 SS rails addressed this issue much better, they are simply drilled and threaded to direct screw in a sling stud.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:33:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks D-Man, I checked there also, but looked again at your link.  I don't know the dimensons, but the shoulder on the backer the stud screws into looks deeper than the hand guard is thick and I'm not sure the bipod could tighten down all the way.  They do have one intended for A2 hand guards that looks like it might work, but I'm concerned the stud will slide around in the hole over time.

Now that you mention the g2, it would be pretty easy to drill and tap, but the only place with enough meat is right at the end of the rail, and it's a 15" on an 18" barrel.  The legs of the bipod would be sticking way out past the muzzle.  I would mount it to fold back, but then there's no loading the bipod with a harris.

One of those harris adapters and some sort of washer modified to center the stud in the hole is probably what I'm thinking now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#5]
DnTrdNMe you can drill & thread your handguard to accept a sling swivel stud. That would ensure the most low profile fitment possible and perfect placement.

You can use a sling swivel stud with a nut to ensure that it cannot pull/strip the threads out of the handguard if abused.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 8:00:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry for the crappy pic, but the whole bottom dead center of the forend is holes.  There's nowhere to drill but maybe the last inch and that's too close to the muzzle.

Also excuse the UTG bipod, it was a temporary measure soon to go on a rimfire.
Edit:  not sure if you can see the picture, it shows up in my preview screen but not in the post.  The link seems to work though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:03:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't drill and tap a hole in thin aluminum and expect a few threads to last very long.   If you use the handguard mount I think the channel in the valley of the Harris might allow room for what sticks out.   A friend has mine right now so I can't check.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess I'm under the 50 post photo limit, so you'll have to click the link for pics.  

Went to LGS today and saw an ATI AR15 hand guard sling stud adapter.  The included stud had a machine screw back like the ones in the Harris adapters and looked to be about right for size and length, so I gave it a try for 10 bucks.  Unbelievably, the stud screwed right into the Midwest Industries backer nut provided for mounting accessories to the rail.  The factory nut is loose in the hand guard when the bipod is not mounted, but it will not fall out as there isn't enough clearance between the rail and the barrel.

When mounted the bipod fits as snug as possible to the rail without hitting or rubbing on anything.  Feels rock solid, few extra parts, and lightweight.  A little red Loctite on the threads of the sling stud and it'll be a semi permanent install

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:00:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Good stuff, looks nice and clean as well.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:47:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, turned out almost exactly like I wanted.  Now I just gotta wait till the next credit card billing cycle to upgrade the cheap airsoft knockoff Dueck Defense offset sights or scope so the wife doesn't get suspicious,  lol!   Probably the sights first, tried em to see if I liked em, and they work,  but I got what I paid for off Amazon.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top