Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2014 10:10:26 PM EDT
Just bought a Colt 6920 with Magpul furniture and I want to use a VTAC  2-1 pt sling on it. What kind of hardware do I need on handguard, end plate, stock, etc?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want to stay with Magpul your will need an ASAP end plate, and then you will need a Magpul MSA for the hand guard. Otherwise you can go with the Magpul RSA for the hand guard with a rail section, that will give you options if you change out to a free float in the future
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:37:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I'm new to slings and ARs and there is a lot to learn here!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:45:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just bought a Colt 6920 with Magpul furniture and I want to use a VTAC  2-1 pt sling on it. What kind of hardware do I need on handguard, end plate, stock, etc?
View Quote

One of my ARs sounds nearly identical, although I have a CTR stock, which is not standard on the 6920MP.

You probably have the standard MOE stock, which lacks a QD connection point...and rattles.  Those are pretty much the reasons I upgraded to the CTR. You can add a QD connection point to the standard MOE stock, but the best options are pretty expensive relative to the price of a CTR on sale.  For example:

IWC Mount-N-Slot

Either way, QD connection points are nice since they support slings with either a QD connector (directly) or with a clip (by adding a QD swivel).

Since I had the standard sling swivel on the FSB, I went with that for a two-point connection up front.  I later added a Magpul MSA to have a second clip-in style connection point for more two-point flexibility.  At the other end I went with QD.

The QD connection point on the CTR is great for two-point carry, but sucks for single point, so I added another QD connection point at the rear of the lower receiver.  

There are many options for QD at the rear of the lower receiver, including a number of end plates with QD connection points, but I went with an easier solution that didn't require me to unstake my castle nut.  I added the Tactical Link Z-360 since it had such great reviews.  I have not been disappointed, but there are many other "bolt on" options.  The one down side to pretty much all options that bolt on the buffer tube - they prevent you from locking the stock to the most fully collapsed position.  That sucks a bit on a 6920 since it only has a 4 (vs. 6) position stock.  It doesn't bother me since I really only collapse it fully for transport and I don't mind that I am half an inch long and not locked, but it might bug others.  If so, the end plate is the ticket.  A new end plate is probably also going to be much less expensive.

Then I just needed a sling with a clip on one end, a QD on the other, and hardware on the sling to allow me to use the clip for single point mode.  That's the sling pictured, which is a Magpul MS3 QD.  I imagine you could hook up something similar with the VTAC, but I have no experience with them.  I always hear great things about them though.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top