Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/8/2014 4:06:07 PM EDT
has anyone changed out their grips on their AR-15s? What came with my M&P Sport doesnt seem too desirable, so i'd consider changing it out. Dont know how or whats involved, but maybe someone can direct me some places to look.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a screw inside your grip.  Remove that, paying attention not to lose the spring for the selector that's on the right side of the grip.  Pick an aftermarket grip of your choice, install.  

My preference for grips is the Umbrella Corp/B5 Grip 23, there are probably close to a hundred options though.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Hogue and Ergo's are my first choice in grips.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#3]
The technical manual TM 9-1005-319-23&P can be used to see how to disassemble, assemble, and maintain an AR-15.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#4]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZxtnXTVp9w

It is pretty easy. I like the Tango Down Battlegrip myself.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Awaiting a Magpul K2+ right now - should be here any day now. I like the idea of a more vertical grip - I tried a K2 at a local shop (no K2+'s in stock). By the way - I know it comes with a mounting screw. Any advice on which one to use with the new grip? It is a M&P15 Sport if that matters. I think the stock one takes an allen wrench and the magpul is a slot head. I am leaning toward staying with the stock screw.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#6]
It doesn't matter.  

The hex head is less likely to have the head get boogered up, but it's a pain to change out, a regular Allen wrench won't reach.  The flat head screw is more likely to wear out or be damaged, but flat head screwdrivers are more common to have in  a pinch than an allen head socket and an extension.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Flip a coin, it really doesn't matter.
Grips are one of those things that you simply needs to find what works for you. What is the perfect grip for me might be totally wrong for you. That is why I despise any thread title with the word " BEST" in it, there simply is no such animal.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:30:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Take a look at the Magpul MIAD grip.  It comes with several different front and back inserts of differing thicknesses and confugurations, allowing you to customize the grip to your hand.  It also has an internal storage compartment and optional inserts for different uses. Very well made and versatile at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:37:17 AM EDT
[#9]

My current favorite AR grip is my Magpul MIAD which I'm using is several of my carbines.

My regular standard Colt A2 grip which I use only on my M4 carbine and A2 rifle military clones.

Try the grip you're considering first because we all have different size hands, make sure the diameter of the grip fits the size of your hand.

Then there's texture, what do you prefer smooth, rough, or somewhere in between.

The angle of the grip are also different, the standard A2 if you're shooting the normal standard slightly bladed and the more vertical angle if you're shooting more square straight in front of you to your target.

Some have internal storage some don't, find out which one you like better.

I also prefer slot head grip screws because it is easier in the field to find a regular slot screwdriver than a hex wrench which are extra long.

My personal preference are my several Magpul MIAD grips, they have the standard angle but the size could be changed by changing the three different rear straps, one is small, the second is medium and the third is large, I use the medium but when I'm using heavy winter gloves I use the small size back strap.

Most Magpul grips have internal storage for different items like, extra ammo, lube, bolt, bolt cam pin, firing pin, batteries, etc.

I also have other grips, Magpul MOE (non-adjustable fixed size) which is similar to my MIAD grip with the medium size backstrap, B5 Systems which have a more vertical angle, TangoDown original BattleGrip is on my AR that my wife use and anyone with small hands, and finally my standard Colt A2 grips for my military clone carbine and rifle for the looks.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:47:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you guys for the recommendations, Im just looking for something with a more softer feel, instead of the hard plastic texture on the M&P SPORT. I'll look into magpul, houge, and i'll see what else I can find.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you guys for the recommendations, Im just looking for something with a more softer feel, instead of the hard plastic texture on the M&P SPORT. I'll look into magpul, houge, and i'll see what else I can find.
View Quote

If you're looking for a softer feel, check out Ergo grips. They are rubber over hard plastic so they will feel much softer than a plastic grip.The standard Ergo has a good feel to it. It's rather thin though which you may or may not like. Ergo also has their "Tactical Deluxe" which has to be the fattest grip out there. It has a large diameter and large Palm swells. I've used both for a period of time and wasn't unhappy with either. Once I held a Magpul MIAD though they both got replaced. I really like the feel of the MIAD and the grip cores are a cool feature. One of mine has a bottle of oil in it, the other a replacement bolt and firing pin...there is another core for batteries.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I probably will see if they have the MIAD at my local store..... and see how it feels.. I like Magpul, i just want something better than that hard plastic grip it came with.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I probably will see if they have the MIAD at my local store..... and see how it feels.. I like Magpul, i just want something better than that hard plastic grip it came with.
View Quote

Magpul makes some grips with rubber overmolding, the MOE+ (similar size to the MIAD grip with medium back strap), and the MOE-K2+,which is a more vertical angle grip, see Magpul links below.

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG416/grips

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG532/grips

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:33:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I use a Magpul Miad, very comfortable, configuration options are nice.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Magpul K2. The more vertical angle makes a big difference for me.
Tomac
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm going to the store and see what I can find..... This project needs to be done already lol thnks for your advisement
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like the softer grippy feel of a rubber grip but the Hogue is too small and for some reason I've never warmed up to the Ergo.

My solution is a piece of inner tube over the top of whatever grip I'm using.  I've got the Magpul MOE on my carbine and Larue APEG on my target gun.  Both grips sport an inner tube sleeve and ork very well for me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#18]
So my grip came the other day (K2+) and I installed it. I used the new screw with the star washer from the old screw - nothing else came with new screw. I tightened it to what I thought would be good enough from what I read here but it wobbled some - so I tightened it some more - I was worried about the aluminum but it seems to have held up and it stopped wiggling after that. Thoughts? Thoughts on the washer?

By the way M&P15 stock grip bolt is a 3/16" hex head. Magpul supplies a screw that is both 3/16" hex head and a slot type screwdriver.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Another vote for the Magpul MIAD. Both my ARs run one.

</a>" />

" />
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top