Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2014 11:28:51 PM EDT
I just finished building my first AR15 last week, and I need to sight in the iron sights, then later the red dot. The only range within an hour and a half drive is closed because of fire damage. So for right now really sighting in is out of the question.  If I buy a laser bore sight will it really be able to get me atleast close?
And if so should I go for an in chamber bore sight or one that goes in the end of the barrel?  I have never not been able to just go out and shoot my guns to sight them in, but I would like to be able to atleast be able to hit the broad side of a paper target with this one right now.
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:47:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I was going to ask the same... new local gun range is opening on the 10th of this month so it's going to be full of people and if i get there i want to make it count and don't spend half of my day working on getting the scope on my new DPMS on shape!
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was going to ask the same... new local gun range is opening on the 10th of this month so it's going to be full of people and if i get there i want to make it count and don't spend half of my day working on getting the scope on my new DPMS on shape!
View Quote

Hopefully someone replies then. Haha
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:19:12 AM EDT
[#3]
It is very easy to bore sight an AR without tools.

1. Remove upper
2. Remove bolt carrier from upper
3. Set upper on something stable but adjustable, I use rolled up towels
4. From the rear, look down the bore and find an easily identifiable object, I use a stop light down the street
5. Without moving the upper, adjust scope/sights to the same object that you sighted down the bore

This method works great for optics.  I've been on paper at 25 yds every time I've done it and on at 50 yds a couple times.

ETA:  Iron sites are a little more difficult for me.  I have a hard time making adjustments without moving the upper.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:37:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

1. Remove upper
4. From the rear, look down the bore and find an easily identifiable object, I use a stop light down the street
5. Without moving the upper, adjust scope/sights to the same object that you sighted down the bore

This method works great for optics.  I've been on paper at 25 yds every time I've done it and on at 50 yds a couple times.

ETA:  Iron sites are a little more difficult for me.  I have a hard time making adjustments without moving the upper.
View Quote

Hm ok, that's something I can do tomorow morning atleast. Buy for the iron sights I think it would be easier to sight it in with the laser. Not sure though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:47:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Hm ok, that's something I can do tomorow morning atleast. Buy for the iron sights I think it would be easier to sight it in with the laser. Not sure though.
View Quote

Probably, I've never used a laser with an AR.  I know that I'd benefit from a better rest.  I'll put more thought into it the next time I need to sight in something
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:58:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Probably, I've never used a laser with an AR.  I know that I'd benefit from a better rest.  I'll put more thought into it the next time I need to sight in something
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, thanks for the help. Atleast now I'll know I can hit what I'm pointing at haha.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I got one of the $16.00 ones off of Amazon that ships from China. Works well, gets you on the paper quick and works for several calibers.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a laser bore sight (laserlyte) in all my ARs when mounting new optics.  The work very well.   I find that if I set up the sight target at about 25yds, my first round will strike the target about 2" high at 50yds (my first sight in point- I then move out to 100yds).  I've begun to adjust accordingly but I'm still on the paper and only use a handful of rounds to get me sighted in.
In all honesty, I've never tried the laser with irons. I guess in theory it could work - get you close anyway.  

I'll check it out this weekend and let you know how it works.  I'm going to the range tomorrow to sight in a couple of rifles including one with irons.  
The irons are LMT front and rear BUIS. They're set by the factory so I think they are probably close.  Stay tuned.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Pointless.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

1. Remove upper

View Quote

Do this. All you need to do is get it close anyway.
Once it's "on the paper" adjust your groups accordingly with the elevation/windage knobs.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Remove upper

no just center them using proper sight alignment & adjustment procedures. It's the exact same procedure as a laser boresight, just without the tech.

Use a 25m Zero target if you want to get sexy, if not just use a 2"x2" square of tape on a wall 25m away. It will get you on paper, and then you can go to the range and actually zero at 25m. (If you're new to AR's leave it at a 25m zero. Don't push it out to 100 until you have a bit of trigger time with the platform)
Make bold adjustments, then put your gun back in the vice, and repeat the process.  
Boresighting in general doesn't even come close to the effectiveness of an actual zero anyway, so don't sweat precision too much
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I never bother to bore sight anymore.  The range I use for sighting in has 24" square targets.  Set it up at 25 yards and put a round in it, adjust accordingly then move to longer ranges to fine tune as desired. If it don't hit the target, something is so hosed up it's not going to sight in anyway.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought one and found it very useful, mines made by laserlite
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top