Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2014 12:53:52 PM EDT
I need to mount some aftermarket picatinny rails to the fore-end of an Armalite M-15 upper which has their free floating fiberglass tube.  Armalite used to sell a unit that was already configured like this, but it is no longer available and I have to do the mods myself.

Any recommendations on how to best attach these rails to the fiberglass tube so that it is both secure and which will not screw up the fiberglass FF tube?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd go with Magpul rail sections with the threaded backer.  

Hopefully we have a fiberglass expert, but I'd suggest blue painters tape and a really sharp drill bit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Depending on the hole diameter, see if you can find a Forestner (spelling) bit.  Will cut a hole like like a hole saw instead of like a twist bit.  Should make a cleaner cut.  If you cannot find one that small, start with a new high quality bit and drill a pilot hole that is 50% the size of the final hole.   DeWalt makes good bits with a pilot hole starter.

Also use the Blue tape like OleKenny said.  Since you are drilling on a round surface, your drill is going to want to walk, so drill ores if possible.  Tube in a "v" block for stability.

Take your time.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:56:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:04:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Use Magpul.  Fine for weapon light or other small objects.  Not optics.  Do not expect precision.  Might not bear weight well.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Tagged: I'd like to see the end result if you're inclined to post photos.

Also, A Forstner bit is definitely the way to go, just make sure the tube's dimpled/ marked so it won't walk... be aware that they dull faster than traditional bits as well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:45:28 AM EDT
[#6]
the PRI rails have a concave/ rounded base for a 2" tube. works much better than a flat bottom style, and has a side benefit of helping you line them up.  here's PRI rails on a Clark carbon tube. I drilled the holes large so I had room to tweak the rails before I locked them down. was very solid.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top