Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2014 2:30:09 AM EDT
I am a right handed shooter, and the natural position to mount my sling on the stock is the left side. However I have seen several people, many of them serious competitors, mount it on the right side of the stock. Can anyone explain why this may be considered advantageous? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:11:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Its a matter of choice...

If you are using your sling as single point attachment it really does not matter.

Some right hand shooters may find the pin interferes somewhat with cheek rest on same side.

Since the modular design offers so many ways to go. Positioning options are many for the shooter  to set his butt stock pin.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#2]
In my experience, I would say use a vtac sling, rear mount opposite shooting side off buffer tube (not stock mounted) forward mount towards rear of rail.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I should clarify, I am using a 2 point sling. Front of mounted toward the front of the rail, rear is mounted on the buttstock. This is my preferred method, I'm just wondering why some people run it from the right side of the stock and its advantages. I am not looking to go to a 1 point or switch front mount positions.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I run mine on the outside like you describe. My reasoning is, if I am shooting with the sling around my body the sling cleanly attaches to the outside of the stock. If the sling was attached to the left (inside) side of the stock it would lay between the buttpad and my shoulder when shooting.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:45:29 AM EDT
[#5]
If you are using a sling that attaches to your butt stock are you using a regular length AR15? I have a SP1(38 inches long) and would like to mount a sling on it also but do not know what type to use.
Thanks for your assistance
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am a right handed shooter, and the natural position to mount my sling on the stock is the left side. However I have seen several people, many of them serious competitors, mount it on the right side of the stock. Can anyone explain why this may be considered advantageous? Thanks.
View Quote

The way I run a 2-point sling right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITPdQzN89to
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#7]

I run all my carbine slings this way, as a right hand shooter at the right side of the buttstocks, all my stocks Vltor IMOD shown, M4, CTR, STR, B5 SOPMOD Bravo, and Vltor EMOD.

The advantages for me anyway are when firing at the support (opposite shoulder) the sling webbing doesn't strangle my neck, also when the weapon is hanging the butt end does not stick out as much, the sling is keeping it close to the body.

Try it yourself maybe you'll like it mounted on the right side of the stock.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I attach the sling on the right side (outside) of the stock. The sling will not interfere when I should the rifle and when I tighten everything down it pins the stock to my chest better
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://oi53.tinypic.com/2ykjgd1.jpg

I run all my carbine slings this way, as a right hand shooter at the right side of the buttstocks, all my stocks Vltor IMOD shown, M4, CTR, STR, B5 SOPMOD Bravo, and Vltor EMOD.

The advantages for me anyway are when firing at the support (opposite shoulder) the sling webbing doesn't strangle my neck, also when the weapon is hanging the butt end does not stick out as much, the sling is keeping it close to the body.

Try it yourself maybe you'll like it mounted on the right side of the stock.

View Quote

This here is why I prefer the QD cup on the right side of the stock.....
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:06:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I started mounting mine on the right side just because I liked the angle it presented the sling to my firing side shoulder at. As opposed to laying across my neck. It also seems to get snagged on stuff less. Also when it's time to do work with my hands it seems to sit more snugly against my body (using VTACuntil recently, now BFG Vickers)
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#11]
So I pulled an LMT sopmod out of the drawer and tried it, and really like it. I will do so. However, and I feel retarded even asking this, I can't seem to switch the flush cup from left side to right side on my STR stock. I took the screw and nut out, however the cup itself won't budge. Am I supposed to just buy another cup for the right side?

I didn't spend a lot of time on this, so it may have been something I overlooked.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I pulled an LMT sopmod out of the drawer and tried it, and really like it. I will do so. However, and I feel retarded even asking this, I can't seem to switch the flush cup from left side to right side on my STR stock. I took the screw and nut out, however the cup itself won't budge. Am I supposed to just buy another cup for the right side?

I didn't spend a lot of time on this, so it may have been something I overlooked.
View Quote

Once you have the screw and nut removed, insert a QD swivel into the cup and pull the cup out w/the swivel.
Tomac
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Having the sling mounted to the outside of the stock makes it easier to switch to the left shoulder.  Those few extra inches when crossing over help keep you from choking yourself and not making it all the way across to the left side.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top