Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2014 5:58:08 PM EDT
So I am looking to get some safety glasses for my first trip to the local range with my new M&P15 and wanted to know what color lenses most guys use when target shooting at the local outdoor rifle range?

I doing sporting clays and always use vermilion or yellow but if I am shooting via Optics at paper and not a moving orange clay would I just want a clear or smoked lens???

I am looking at getting the Radiians shooting glasses but want to know what color lens I should be getting (I'm gonna buy a couple).

Thanks so much for the information.  

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Clear or smoke is what I use
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Personally I use orange or amber colored lenses they make the detail stand out more
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally I use orange or amber colored lenses they make the detail stand out more
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Even with optics? Seems like that would not be a great idea when using magnified optics.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Yellow or amber.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yellow or amber.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:22:33 PM EDT
[#7]
So the Yellow and Amber are the color of choice for all target shooting looks like!

Even with optics? (I will take out my AR with my current amber and yellow sporting clay glasses and see how it looks.

I think I assumed the main tint for target shooting especially with optics would be clear or smoke.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I like yellow/amber, especially on overcast days. On bright sunny days, I'm wearing polarized sunglasses.

Yellow is the brightest color to the human eye. I'm a photographer, and when shooting black and white film, a yellow filter gives you a slight boost in contrast while an orange filter will give you the most contrast of the color ranges. Thus, for our purposes, amber gives the best balance of the two. While brightening the perceived image and adding contrast, our eyes can quickly determine targets/silhouettes as we jump from one to another, or are looking for holes on paper.

Whether amber gives you much of an advantage in a combat scenario--I can't speak to that because I've never been there, or done that. On the range, however it is an advantage *as long as* it's not too bright out that your eyes are taking in too much light to operate effectively. I believe in such a case (and going back to the photography side of things with light), a neutral density (sunglasses), or polarizer (polarized sunglasses) help keep your eyes operating the best they can.

*Edit: color or shade aside, the only thing that will negatively effect you if using glasses with optics is the optical clarity. Using crappy $5.99 gas station glasses will not only damage your eyes by making them strain through a distorted picture of the world, but it will possibly (and likely) distort your perception through quality rifle optics.

There's no point in buying a $4k Schmidt & Bender, and looking through it with the gas station "bro" sun-g's.

Footwear and glasses are the two things I will not cheap on, emphasis on the eyewear. You only get one set of eyes in this life :) Pony up for some quality lenses.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#9]
So just some standard Radians shooting glasses in yellow / amber or orange are best for target shooting through optics at the range?

I do not want to spend tons on glasses but I want to make sure I get what works best for outside shooting via my 4X scope.

And I would assume clear is what I need for indoor range shooting of course right?

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Blue Blocker Safety Glasses. Check'em out.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Blue Blocker Safety Glasses. Check'em out.
View Quote

Googled that and came up with nothing ... haven't seen of heard of Blue Blockers in like 20 years ... they we're amazing in the 90's  LOL
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 4:41:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Clear or smoke is what I use
View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I guess if I just order Yellow, Orange, Smoke and Clear I should be covered! LOL

I already have my sporting clay vermilion and yellow clay shooting glasses but looking to get some smaller sleeker ones for the range.

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 11:51:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I use smoke or clear. Chances are , when a bad guy comes along, I won't have my pretty yellow sunglasses on. So picking up the target easier, won't be on the list.

That's just how I look at things
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:23:58 PM EDT
[#15]
So I got a pair of the yellow and amber lenses and the yellow looks Horrible.

Not the amber / orange lens color I think looks great.

I still do not have a smoke color.

Will smoke still look fine when looking through a 4X prism scope outside???

I am getting clear for indoor range shooting soon

I know it;s not rocket science but really for outdoor shooting everything seems to be fine except for the yellow (maybe it was to bright out for the yellow who knows).
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:01:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I use smoke or clear. Chances are , when a bad guy comes along, I won't have my pretty yellow sunglasses on. So picking up the target easier, won't be on the list.

That's just how I look at things
View Quote

Yeah, and when a bad guy comes along, you won't be shooting him at 300 yards either.  Probably more like less then 30 feet.  So anybody's lens tint at that point, will probably not matter.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top