Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2014 8:49:27 PM EDT
I've always liked the look of Atlas bipods and seeing the different positions they can be put in made me really want one. I knew they were expensive but never looked them up until recently. The one that I am interested in, the version with the ADM QD mount, is $280. The rifle I would be putting it on is a "spare no expense" build with the main components being Noveske/Seekins/Vortex, and I want to continue to use only top of the line components. I've got all the major parts bought and assembled and Im now at the stage where I'm replacing parts that were only meant to be used temporarily until I could afford or finally decided what I really wanted. Currently I'm using a UTG bipod  that I've been using for years on my rimfires. It heavy and not ideal in many areas but it works. I've never owned or used any high end bipods so hopefully someone can help answer a few questions for me.

What makes the Atlas bipod so expensive? What features does it have that make it superior to other bipods? What other bipods would be considered top quality? For those that own an Atlas, would you say it was worth the money? Any other info you can share about Atlas bipods would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.accu-shot.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=68
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't speak to the reason of it's cost, but I can say it's a very good bipod.   It's very light, and yet when you're firing from a prone or bench position you can load it without it flexing.

I have the B-10 with LaRue LT171 adapter which makes it quite easy to transfer to any rifle with a picitainny rail.

One of the nicer things about it is the interchangeably of parts.  You can get leg extensions, spiked feet for hard surfaces, and round foot pads that all interchange with a 1/16" punch so it's pretty much a universal bipod for different applications.

I first winced at the cost, but then again I paid a heck of lot more for the Sako bipod for my TRG, but when compared to that one the Atlas is next best and yes for me, it's worth the cost.

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#2]
This is what you want..

Same price and LaRue Quality = (ADM Quality)^2
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:35:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What makes the Atlas bipod so expensive? What features does it have that make it superior to other bipods? What other bipods would be considered top quality? For those that own an Atlas, would you say it was worth the money? Any other info you can share about Atlas bipods would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.accu-shot.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=68
View Quote

I'd love to get one, but I find it hard to justify the expense as well.

However, IIRC, the "story" behind the Atlas was that a couple of designers over at Harris suggested a bunch of upgrades to their venerable bipod design to make the whole thing a little bit more versatile.  

Harris told them they'd gone off the deep end (I can understand to a certain extent - it does deviate quite a bit from Harris' design, and the Harris bipods have a pretty distinct "profile" that's part of their brand) so they took their toys and went elsewhere and the Atlas was born.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#4]
IMO the cost is Atlas= machined components vs Harris= sheetmetal stamping components. Im  not suggesting one is better quality wise.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is what you want..

http://www.laruetactical.com/sites/default/files/img_8848.jpg

View Quote

I dunno. I have one LT-104, a couple of ADM QD scope mounts. I also have two Atlases with the ADM mount that I share between six guns (a mix of various ARs with various hand guards and bolt guns with Seekins or Accu-Shot Picatinny bottom rails) and it is much easier to adjust an ADM clamp for various Picatinny rails than a LaRue — every gun I own requires a oh so slightly different adjustment to clamp down tight on its particular Picatinny rail, and on the ADMs, no tool is required, unlike the LaRue. Plus, the LaRues mar the rail.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I dunno. I have one LT-104, a couple of ADM QD scope mounts. I also have two Atlases with the ADM mount that I share between six guns (a mix of various ARs with various hand guards and bolt guns with Seekins or Accu-Shot Picatinny bottom rails) and it is much easier to adjust an ADM clamp for various Picatinny rails than a LaRue — every gun I own requires a oh so slightly different adjustment to clamp down tight on its particular Picatinny rail, and on the ADMs, no tool is required, unlike the LaRue. Plus, the LaRues mar the rail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is what you want..

Thanks for sharing your experience with the ADM version. I hadn't thought about needing to adjust the QD mount for different rifles but now that you mention it...it is important to me to be able to easily switch it between rifles. It will spend the vast majority of the time on my one rifle but will be used with others as well. I was considering going with the Larue but now I'm sure the ADM is a better choice. Another reason for choosing the ADM is that my scope mount is an ADM Recon-X and I occasionally use a Tango Down short vertical grip which also uses a ADM QD mount as well. I liked the idea of having all of my QD attachments using the same locking system. I know there are a lot of guys that swear the Larue is the best QD choice for scope mounts etc but honestly I dont see how it could be that much better than the ADM. Mine lock down tight, don't move or loosen up, return to zero perfectly and are easy to adjust, remove or reattach. If I do another build I'll probably give a Larue scope mount a shot. There's got to be a reason so many people highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:40:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I much prefer the ADM QD system over the LaRue, especially when you factor price into the equation and it's so simple to adjust. Here's my Atlas/ADM on an M400.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/RedShack3/DSCN4311_zps5ad737a3.jpg
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:59:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is what you want..

Hmm, how do you adjust the adm mount without a tool? My primary arms reddot on a ADM mount basically rattles on a certain upper, but I cannot adjust it with my fingers for the life of me.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:00:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks for sharing your experience with the ADM version. I hadn't thought about needing to adjust the QD mount for different rifles but now that you mention it...it is important to me to be able to easily switch it between rifles. It will spend the vast majority of the time on my one rifle but will be used with others as well. I was considering going with the Larue but now I'm sure the ADM is a better choice. Another reason for choosing the ADM is that my scope mount is an ADM Recon-X and I occasionally use a Tango Down short vertical grip which also uses a ADM QD mount as well. I liked the idea of having all of my QD attachments using the same locking system. I know there are a lot of guys that swear the Larue is the best QD choice for scope mounts etc but honestly I dont see how it could be that much better than the ADM. Mine lock down tight, don't move or loosen up, return to zero perfectly and are easy to adjust, remove or reattach. If I do another build I'll probably give a Larue scope mount a shot. There's got to be a reason so many people highly recommend them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is what you want..

Once you handle the LaRue you will realize the difference. The ADM mount I have reminds me of the Chinese LaRue knockoffs I've handled
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I've paid $264 for a Larue scope mount, so $280 for a bipod doesn't seem that much out of line.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#11]
FYI, B&T have a new variation of the Atlas coming out sometime this quarter, the PSR.  You can check out some of the upgrades at the link below.  It's about $330 with the quick release clamp but supposedly some of the short comings shooters complained about have been addressed.  I was originally going to get the current version of the Atlas but I'm gonna hold out for the PSR.  Now I just have to find it once it's released :)

Atlas PSR Bipod
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:08:17 AM EDT
[#12]
However, IIRC, the "story" behind the Atlas was that a couple of designers over at Harris suggested a bunch of upgrades to their venerable bipod design to make the whole thing a little bit more versatile.  

Harris told them they'd gone off the deep end (I can understand to a certain extent - it does deviate quite a bit from Harris' design, and the Harris bipods have a pretty distinct "profile" that's part of their brand) so they took their toys and went elsewhere and the Atlas was born.  

~Augee

Up early this morning, just finished watching Ultimate Factory and that is how Lamborghini got started.   Enzo Ferrari told him to keep farming and driving his tractors and don't worry about the clutch design...similar story between Harris and Atlas

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top