Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2014 6:47:06 PM EDT
As it says:  Is there a standard for QD sling sockets?

Standard dimensions, etc...

I'm asking because I have a cheap railed HG on a carbine I am selling that

has a socket for a QD sling swivel at the end of the lower rail that won't retain the swivel

I have for it.

The diameter is correct but apparently the lip for the ball detents is not close enough to the

outer surface to allow the balls to lock out into place.

Has anyone else found dimensional variations between manufacturers?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I asked this same question a while back. No one knew if any standard dimensions had been created  for qd sling swivels.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#2]
There must be a standard that all manufacturers are using because the majority of them are compatible except some of the cheap brands.

Here's a list of what I'm using that are all compatible:

Blue Force Gear
Colt (Damage Industries QD swivel & Rogers stock)
Daniel Defense
Gear Sector
Knight's Armament Co.
LaRue Tactical
Magpul
Viking Tactics
Vltor

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess I might have better luck in the BIY or AR Discussions forum, something the Industry Partners

might actually read.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess I might have better luck in the BIY or AR Discussions forum, something the Industry Partners

might actually read.
View Quote

You might try the Magpul Industry forum, those guys usually are helpful with giving more info.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I would guess that the socket OP has is a standard size, but that the attachment screw or bolt protrudes too high up into the socket for the swivel balls to make contact with the inside retaining lip.  Try a flatter mounting screw or bolt and it might work.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would guess that the socket OP has is a standard size, but that the attachment screw or bolt protrudes too high up into the socket for the swivel balls to make contact with the inside retaining lip.  Try a flatter mounting screw or bolt and it might work.
View Quote

Nope wrong guess.

The socket is machined into a rail as the post states.  The hole goes all the way through and there is nothing impeding the swivel shoulder

from mating all the way up against the outer surface of the top of the rail.

There is no retaining lip per-se machined into the interior of the rail, just the inner surface of the original HG extrusion.

That is why I am asking what the dimensions of that lip should be.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:14:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nope wrong guess.

The socket is machined into a rail as the post states.  The hole goes all the way through and there is nothing impeding the swivel shoulder

There is no retaining lip per-se machined into the interior of the rail, just the inner surface of the original HG extrusion.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope wrong guess.

Your original post made explicit reference to a lip.  Quoting you:

"The diameter is correct but apparently the lip for the ball detents is not close enough to the

outer surface to allow the balls to lock out into place."

It is for this reason I suggested that the lip was machined correctly but that the male end was not allowed to go deep enough to catch the lip.

Now you're saying there is no lip at all?  Which is it?  

I also could not find in the original post that the socket was "machined into the rail" as you claim it states.  Where was that?  Many sockets are attached separately.  

Not trying to be difficult, but also not accustomed to being slammed as a bad reader for not seeing what is not there and for trying to help.  Sorry for intruding in the thread.  

If there is no lip then there will never be any way to capture the detent balls on the male sling end.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I got a B5 QD sling mount, I don't know which brand QD fits the sling mount fits the best.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Hell...I have a couple made in China that were very cheap but lock in perfectly to my mounts.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:26:31 AM EDT
[#11]
What brand aren't made in the USA? We need a list of QD that are made in the USA and a list of the ones made outside of the good old usa.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:10:38 AM EDT
[#12]
QD swivels are not all created equal

Impact Weapons Components

These are the only ones I'll use now.  [made in the USA]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
QD swivels are not all created equal

Impact Weapons Components

These are the only ones I'll use now.  [made in the USA]
View Quote

I believe OP's problem is with the socket in the rail and not with the swivel.  But I agree that IWC's swivels are very good.  They will be of no help to him if his socket has no internal lip at all.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top