Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2010 1:18:08 PM EDT
how do you install those side sling mounts that install inside the FSB over the barrel? It looks like they use 2 roll pins and it would be a royal pain (for someone like me) to get those pins in there w/out scuffing stuff up. those pins don't look too secure either. what's the scoop on these? I like that you can use these w/ simple plastic hand guards. thanks in advance for you input.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty easy to install without messing anything up, but they will put some wear on the barrel after you use it for a while, if that bothers you.

Once you got it in your hands, you'd figure out how to install it. Put the two halves together on the barrel, then put the roll pins in. It's a tight fit, but not impossible for anyone with a modicum of hand tool skills.

I've used several on various rifles and like them...No issues with the roll pins.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Leather faced vice grip type pliers to hold the pieces against the barrel and a roll pin starter punch makes installation downright easy.
They aren't hard at all to install, they just look like they are.
This is factory Colt in the wrapper,

and the installed product,

I don't know of one of these failing in use because of roll pins or anything else not related to battle damage or excessive wear and tear.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#3]
oh yeah i see what you mean with the vice grips - that would secure it - thanks !
Link Posted: 1/19/2010 10:02:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pretty easy to install without messing anything up, but they will put some wear on the barrel after you use it for a while, if that bothers you.

Once you got it in your hands, you'd figure out how to install it. Put the two halves together on the barrel, then put the roll pins in. It's a tight fit, but not impossible for anyone with a modicum of hand tool skills.

I've used several on various rifles and like them...No issues with the roll pins.

Are the "Sling Things" better?

Link Posted: 1/21/2010 5:58:34 AM EDT
[#5]
(well my reply wasnt pertinent, so i removed)
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a GG&G 'Slicthing' and it works great- swivel on one side and rail on the other......also a piece of cake to install!
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#7]
.........and while we're yakking about front sling swivels - what's the easiest way to remove a now superfluous standard one? - drill, big hammer, hacksaw?
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
.........and while we're yakking about front sling swivels - what's the easiest way to remove a now superfluous standard one? - drill, big hammer, hacksaw?

Pin punch and a hammer.
They are just riveted to the front sight block.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#9]
They are pretty easy to install. Although an extra set of hands can be useful.
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 3:09:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I've used vice-grips covered with electrician's tape to press them in.
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#11]
My Colt 6920 came with that mount.  I knocked the bottom pin out, mount came right off, oiled it up, and put it on "lefty", and hammered the pin back in.  Just need gentel but sharp taps to knock it out.  I just stood the rifle upright with the stock on carpet.

I used the 3/32 punch I use for my Glocks.   (Same hammer I use for my Glocks as well.)  The punch is a little small but works.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Can you get one of these for under $30?

I bought a used GG&G QD sling thing in the EE. It don't fit. The bolts aren't long enough or the pieces are too big. I don't get it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 4:58:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I bought a used GG&G QD sling thing in the EE. It don't fit. The bolts aren't long enough or the pieces are too big. I don't get it.

I bought a couple of these for $10 shipped - they work fine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120491683100

Link Posted: 1/30/2010 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I want to put one of these side mount sling swivels on my rifle too.Does anybody know if my Magpul MOE handguard will be in the way preventing installation?I ask because the front of the handguard flares out forward just past the rear mount of the front sight base into where the side mount goes on the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I want to put one of these side mount sling swivels on my rifle too.Does anybody know if my Magpul MOE handguard will be in the way preventing installation?I ask because the front of the handguard flares out forward just past the rear mount of the front sight base into where the side mount goes on the barrel.

I had one on one of my MOE carbines for a few weeks.  I followed someone else's lead and installed it backward so it folded forward.
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had one on one of my MOE carbines for a few weeks.  I followed someone else's lead and installed it backward so it folded forward.

So it fits,sweet!
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#17]
so what about these sorts?

Im doing side mount on mine, but I have a light where the GI version would go. So I'm thinking about putting it on the sight.

Any concerns about strength or stress on the sight? Doesnt seem to have much more leverage on the sight than the current bottom mount.

thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
so what about these sorts?

http://brigadearmory.com/catalog/images/side%20sling%20adapter%20with%20rail,%20SOG.jpg

Im doing side mount on mine, but I have a light where the GI version would go. So I'm thinking about putting it on the sight.

Any concerns about strength or stress on the sight? Doesnt seem to have much more leverage on the sight than the current bottom mount.

thanks

I like that, where can you get one of those?

Link Posted: 2/1/2010 3:36:35 AM EDT
[#19]
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=960459&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_campaign=649

but  im not sure if they are really a study solution...

How strong is a pinned front sight? will  a drop and catch by the sling knock the sights off? I dont know.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 5:15:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are these a snug fit on an M4 type barrel? .750 I think.
Or do they rattle around?
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

I'd like to know also. Too late really, I already ordered one.

It looks like you can use it for both .625 and .750. I'll bet it's Pro Mag.

Link Posted: 2/1/2010 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Mine are snug both on .625 and .750 barrels.  I don't think they're Promag, they look milsurp.
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 3:45:44 AM EDT
[#23]
any one tried the ones that mount INSIDE the front sight?
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

I'd like to know also. Too late really, I already ordered one.

It looks like you can use it for both .625 and .750. I'll bet it's Pro Mag.

It is not Promag.  Mine was marked "MFR 1C5Q6" which is a DOD supplier named Airtronic USA, and they make M203's among other things.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It is not Promag.  Mine was marked "MFR 1C5Q6" which is a DOD supplier named Airtronic USA, and they make M203's among other things.

I just looked at mine and it's marked the same as yours. Think someone walked out of the shop with some parts in their pocket so to speak? I better go order another before their gone.

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just looked at mine and it's marked the same as yours. Think someone walked out of the shop with some parts in their pocket so to speak? I better go order another before their gone.

I wonder that about a lot of USGI stuff on Eb@y.  How does yours fit? Mine is not very tight on my CMMG 16" M4 profile barrel; I can slide it back and forth.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder that about a lot of USGI stuff on Eb@y.  How does yours fit? Mine is not very tight on my CMMG 16" M4 profile barrel; I can slide it back and forth.

Crap, I don't know yet. Others above have said theirs fit tight. I haven't got around to putting mine on yet. I have an Armalite M4 and an M&A Parts midlength that I need these for. I'll let you know how mine fit here soon.

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Well I ordered a couple also. I guess I will see how they fit soon enough. I have wasted 20$ on worse things....
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 3:24:32 AM EDT
[#29]
I just ordered one also, lets hope it fits snug on my fnmi 20 inch barrel....ive been trying to figure out an economical way to mount a sling for a lefty on this rifle.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I fixed my loose mount by removing it and applying pressure near the edges on both sides with taped vise grips at the points indicated by the arrows (I kept the two halves together while doing this).  I checked the fit on the barrel and adjusted the vice grips a bit tighter each time until it fit really snug on the barrel.  Now it doesn't move at all.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Mine fit pretty loose, I tried bending them and it didn't help. All it did was put some scratches on my barrel. Buyer beware...
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top