BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 21
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:36:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ex_Sanguine_Nation] [#1]
I will start this post by saying that I do not endorse this set up, or claim that it is ideal for me or anyone else, but rather it is just a fun experiment I wanted to do - as someone who also likes the micro-prisms, and also likes having a top-mounted MRDS - to try and address this issue using a COTS approach without using the PA mount which has been determined to possess less than optimum ruggedness:

This is the PA low mount and an Overbore Systems Night mount with a Vortex SPARC Solar atop. I do not find the low mount ideal, but it is useable, and does give the best view through both optics.

This is the same setup with the low-riser on a Larue LT105. Seems to put it around the 1.54 level. It's much better for viewing the SLx and, despite what it looks like, you still have an un-occluded view through it. Maybe a shadow starts at the top a little earlier as you move your head than if the MRDS mount wasn't there, but if you have your head positioned optimally, no shadow. However, the prism blocks about half of the SPARC. You can still get the dot, of course, it's just in the top half of the optic if you need it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Not for me but very interesting nonetheless and I applaud your innovation
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:49:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Joedirt199] [#3]
I had been trying to figure out the same concept and looked at the most open and high reddot mount for the prism to look through. Almost need a unity riser or other riser to get the reddot up higher to raise the prism to a comfortable level. Someone was able to look through the sighting hole of the 2.26" unity with the prism and said it worked decent.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Joedirt199:
I had been trying to figure out the same concept and looked at the most open and high reddot mount for the prism to look through. Almost need a unity riser or other riser to get the reddot up higher to raise the prism to a comfortable level. Someone was able to look through the sighting hole of the 2.26" unity with the prism and said it worked decent.
View Quote

Yeah, I have some Unity mounts and that gave me the idea, as you can kinda get a picture through the magnifier in the FTC mount while it's flipped down. I saw this mount on a blem sale and thought it might fit the bill.

It's silly - 100% - but maybe it will give some engineer or machinist some inspiration.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JustDaniel:
Not for me but very interesting nonetheless and I applaud your innovation
View Quote

Same

I'm actually faster with the 3x micro prism than my aim point pro
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m still loving mine thinking about giving the 2X a try on a GP rifle. Thinking it might be a touch easier up close more like my 1.5x
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#7]
The field of view difference between the 2x and the 3x is only 4 ft. The 2x feels like a more refined 3x with a small reticle when looked at side by side.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:13:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JustDaniel] [#8]

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#9]
The field of view difference between the 2x and the 3x is only 4 ft. The 2x feels like a more refined 3x with a small reticle when looked at side by side.
View Quote

Thank you for this info. Do you think the lower mag is a benefit being more refined or would you stick with the 3x?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I want a 3x so bad, is this the best deal going, considering price point?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the glass and the optic layout better on the 2x. You don't need the cantilever mount and it works really well with the ADM or Midwest Industries straight mount. The eyebox and relief are more forgiving.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:30:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JustDaniel] [#12]
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:

Thank you for this info. Do you think the lower mag is a benefit being more refined or would you stick with the 3x?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:

I like the glass and the optic layout better on the 2x. You don't need the cantilever mount and it works really well with the ADM or Midwest Industries straight mount. The eyebox and relief are more forgiving.

Agreed. I have several in each 1x, 2x, and 3x. I love the 3x but the 2x is a far superior optic in terms of clarity, glass quality, and versatility. I have acogs in several magnifications and they are tough as nails but the PA 2x has become my go to. Good out to 300+ plus super fast using BAC for close up work.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Agreed. I have several in each 1x, 2x, and 3x. I love the 3x but the 2x is a far superior optic in terms of clarity, glass quality, and versatility. I have acogs in several magnifications and they are tough as nails but the PA 2x has become my go to. Good out to 300+ plus super fast using BAC for close up work.

https://i.vgy.me/KdYSn7.jpg

https://i.vgy.me/qW59mS.jpg
View Quote

What are you using for caps?

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#14]
If they did green reticles I’d buy the 2x as well.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:33:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JustDaniel] [#15]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:

What are you using for caps?

View Quote

@tortilla-flats they are butler creeks but I can’t remember the model/size. I’ll confirm this evening and update the post. I know the rear is a blizzard see through cap so that I can quickly run it BAC for up close targets without opening the front cap. That method also works really well in a shoot house.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#16]

@tortilla-flats they are butler creeks but I can't remember the model/size. I'll confirm this evening and update the post. I know the rear is a blizzard see through cap so that I can quickly run it BAC for up close targets without opening the front cap. That method also works really well in a shoot house.
View Quote
Awesome, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:38:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:
I will start this post by saying that I do not endorse this set up, or claim that it is ideal for me or anyone else, but rather it is just a fun experiment I wanted to do - as someone who also likes the micro-prisms, and also likes having a top-mounted MRDS - to try and address this issue using a COTS approach without using the PA mount which has been determined to possess less than optimum ruggedness:

https://i.imgur.com/9l41f7P.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/CZgjCW7.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/v62JB7r.jpg

This is the PA low mount and an Overbore Systems Night mount with a Vortex SPARC Solar atop. I do not find the low mount ideal, but it is useable, and does give the best view through both optics.

https://i.imgur.com/GaCXved.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/eyzVoyJ.jpg

This is the same setup with the low-riser on a Larue LT105. Seems to put it around the 1.54 level. It's much better for viewing the SLx and, despite what it looks like, you still have an un-occluded view through it. Maybe a shadow starts at the top a little earlier as you move your head than if the MRDS mount wasn't there, but if you have your head positioned optimally, no shadow. However, the prism blocks about half of the SPARC. You can still get the dot, of course, it's just in the top half of the optic if you need it.
View Quote

You made a modern version of the Leupold LCO/D-Evo combo :)
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 4:22:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#18]
Originally Posted By Brawnydog:
I want a 3x so bad, is this the best deal going, considering price point?
View Quote

At around $300, yes. I have this weird little window from about 1.5-2.5X where that mag range makes me feel like I have on drunk goggles so I couldn’t get behind the 2X GLX. If you don’t have that issue the 2X might be worth looking into though.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
Awesome, thanks!
View Quote

@tortilla-flats
Ocular: 02 Blizzard, 1.3-1.39”
Objective: 03A, 1.300”
The 03A fits best with an ARD installed on the 2x but a small piece of electrical tape under the cap snugs it up nicely
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#20]

@tortilla-flats
Ocular: 02 Blizzard, 1.3-1.39"
Objective: 03A, 1.300"
The 03A fits best with an ARD installed on the 2x but a small piece of electrical tape under the cap snugs it up nicely
View Quote
Thanks! I have an ARD for it sitting in a box.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Cantilever mount is must for some of us. We all like a different cheek weld spot
Page / 21
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top