User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 21
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Joedirt199:
Ofcourse there is a size difference from 1x to 3x. Think first focal plane reticle scope. The reticle gets bigger as the power goes up. I have both and can get you pictures through the optics but it will have to wait till after work tonight. I use the 1x as a reddot alternative since my uncorrected eyes make reddots a star. Have found out that the bigger the reddot, the less star effect it has so 6 moa dots work better for me.
View Quote

Thanks.  Don't worry about snagging images if it'll be a problem.  I've already decided to get one and try it.  Some of us don't have a lot of experience with variable FFP, the only variables I've used have been 3-9 SFP.  Everything else have been fixed 1x, 4x and 10x.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By JAFFE:
For those with the 1x and the 3x, any size difference of the reticle at normal eye relief?

I've got the 1x, and the reticle is good enough for close work, but small enough to my eyes I'd have problems at distance.

Debating whether to put another 1x on my A2 carbine, or go to the 3x, or drop in an ACOG 4-32 of some flavor.

TIA

eta - I am scrolling through the thread incase someone posted images or something, it'll take me a while.

edit 2 - only direct info I saw (may have missed a post or three) was on page 5, but no direct comparison pics.  I'll likely get one to try.  Might be another month or two.  If there aren't comparison pics by then I'll do a quick set.

View Quote

I had the 1x on my AK, and although it's pretty excellent at what it does, I still have trouble seeing steel targets at 2-300 yards.
Just swapped it out to a 3X...initial impressions are that i am glad i did the swap, have not had a chance to shoot it yet FYI.  Was worried about the eye relief, but with the rear biased mount it really works well.

Since I have the 3X bolted directly to the mount with no spacers, I want to try some drop tests...nothing extreme.  something like waist high into packed dirt.
Need to find out how durable factory AK side rails are first; I don't want that to be the weakest link.

Link Posted: 10/13/2023 11:17:15 PM EDT
[#3]
How is the 3X on up close stuff, like inside the house? Can it function as red dot? I need a optic for a couple rifles and have been debating forever. Bought a Cortex red dot that was on sale and it looks like a comet or starburst to me, so my son gets it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 11:30:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By zoe17:
How is the 3X on up close stuff, like inside the house? Can it function as red dot? I need a optic for a couple rifles and have been debating forever. Bought a Cortex red dot that was on sale and it looks like a comet or starburst to me, so my son gets it.
View Quote

I'm keeping hits on the A zone at 25 yards from the low ready in a second with a follow up hits with an average 0.2.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 11:31:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus] [#5]
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 11:50:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Here are the 1x, 2x and 3x prisms in my basement range at 12 yards.  Sorry for the cell phone pics.

Link Posted: 10/14/2023 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I was out shooting today and noticed you could move the optic a little in my carry handle. Even after tightening it down.

I moved it one hole in and can no longer wiggle it by hand. I don't even mind the move either as I was actually crowding the optic when prone/kneeling before.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Joedirt199:
Here are the 1x, 2x and 3x prisms in my basement range at 12 yards.  Sorry for the cell phone pics.
https://i.imgur.com/nF6mS98h.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/no6BAchh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Z4wDVVsh.jpg
View Quote

No worries on the cell pics, gives me a visual.  Thanks.  Confirms I'll need to get one to try out.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the information. I will get one next pay period. The AAC ammo order kinda stung a bit.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#10]
After looking at the pics there is a big jump from 1x to 2x and very little jump from 2x to 3x. The 1x acts just like a reddot and has a very large field of view, easy to get behind and with my crappy eyes, is able to get a good clear picture. The 2x rides on my short barreled AR and the 3x is on my 14.5". Definately weight saving over multi power optics
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 5:00:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: williedikker72] [#11]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
I was out shooting today and noticed you could move the optic a little in my carry handle. Even after tightening it down.

I moved it one hole in and can no longer wiggle it by hand. I don't even mind the move either as I was actually crowding the optic when prone/kneeling before.
View Quote

@03RN

Can you please take a close up pic of that mounting? Mine will be here Tuesday and going on a carry handle. You think with the way you have it now you wouldn’t have had that zero shift from before?
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 2:05:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I got one today, it's my first optic ever and I'm messing around with it getting used to it. I didn't expect the reticle to be so tiny. The chevron is great but the hashmarks on the BDC that you're supposed to use for range estimation are so small that I doubt I could use them*, not to mention using the bottom point of the chevron for 200 vs the tip for 100yd. That said, I am impressed with the clarity of the glass and crispness of image at the in-house distances I've played with it at. I'm excited to get to the range with it.

*I do wear glasses, and my right (dominant) eye is worse than my left, I may need a new eyeglass prescription
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:09:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 03RN] [#13]
Originally Posted By williedikker72:

@03RN

Can you please take a close up pic of that mounting? Mine will be here Tuesday and going on a carry handle. You think with the way you have it now you wouldn’t have had that zero shift from before?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@03RN

@williedikker72
Middle hole now
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Yeah, I do but time will tell
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#14]
How do you like the sun shade?
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:
How do you like the sun shade?
View Quote

I don't even know it's there. I typically like having ARD on optics for signature reduction.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes

@03RN

@williedikker72
Middle hole now
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20231017_120004_jpg-2994951.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20231017_120017_jpg-2994952.JPG

Thanks. Was just messing around with mine. Prob go middle hole also. Seems more stable plus doesn't come back over the rear sight like when using the front one.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Thanks. Was just messing around with mine. Prob go middle hole also. Seems more stable plus doesn't come back over the rear sight like when using the front one.
View All Quotes

@03RN

@williedikker72
Middle hole now
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20231017_120004_jpg-2994951.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20231017_120017_jpg-2994952.JPG

Yeah, it's not a big deal but I did notice rub marks on the base
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone know if there’s a butler creek cap that’ll fit the ARD and what size it is? My optic came in today and I’m loving it, I’m just not a fan of bikini covers.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I checked the thread as best I could but didn't come up with a definitive answer, and my Google-fu is coming up with nothing either.

Does anyone know if there's a mount base for the 3x that's lower than the factory base?
I'm crazy enough that I put a 3x on my knockaround .308 bolt gun but it sits just a wee bit high on the factory base as-is. Not unusable at all, I'd just like to get it about as low to the rail as is physically possible, if there's any more that can be done.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 9:30:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RifleCal30m1n00b:
I checked the thread as best I could but didn't come up with a definitive answer, and my Google-fu is coming up with nothing either.

Does anyone know if there's a mount base for the 3x that's lower than the factory base?
I'm crazy enough that I put a 3x on my knockaround .308 bolt gun but it sits just a wee bit high on the factory base as-is. Not unusable at all, I'd just like to get it about as low to the rail as is physically possible, if there's any more that can be done.
View Quote

i am looking at the base right now, and there is not much room to make it any lower.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 12:53:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RifleCal30m1n00b:

View Quote

Not sure you will find a base lower than their factory lowest option.  I’m surprised at the lowest option, it’s too high.  Any mini Acog mount will work if you can find a very low option.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 1:01:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#22]
@JustDaniel

What size butler creek cap did you get to fit the ARD?  I'm guessing it's a size 2, but nobody in town has one in stock so I wanted to check before hitting up amazon.

Edit: from earlier in the thread

butler creek O7 AND O2A
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 8:28:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JustDaniel] [#23]
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:
@JustDaniel

What size butler creek cap did you get to fit the ARD?  I'm guessing it's a size 2, but nobody in town has one in stock so I wanted to check before hitting up amazon.

Edit: from earlier in the thread

butler creek O7 AND O2A
View Quote

@NorthPolar I’m 99% sure it’s an 02A but I will confirm this evening when I get home. Obviously, it does require the PA ARD.

ETA: Confirmed, Butler Creek 02A
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 5:45:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PowderBurnsNC] [#24]
On scope cap alternatives…

I added one of the ARDs to the front of the 3x uPrism.

The extra length and the protrusion of the ARD makes it such that I can use one of the Tini Bikini scope covers. (I do give it a 180° twist on the scope body to tighten it up a bit.) The scope cover is not perfect, but overall is adequate - and FAR more robust than the flimsy factory one.

Just another fairly simple and fairly inexpensive alternative.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I have received several IMs asking about how my 3x prisms are set up in terms of covers so here’s a quick rundown.

Trim the bikini cover (objective end) until it’s essentially a rubber band and hook it under the body of the objective. Screw in an ARD and add a butler creek 02A objective cover.

On the ocular side use a piece of tape or a zip tie wrapped around the rear body to secure both straps of the bikini cover.

Now the bikini cover will flip over the ocular lens, holding in place, on the top of the body. I run the flip up cap closed on the front, using BAC, for close up rapid target engagements with only an inch to the right deviation at 25 yards.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm more interested in the rear sight color. Rattle can or...? Where did you get that?
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 7:40:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroEngineer] [#27]
I like it!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/21/2023 9:09:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:
I'm more interested in the rear sight color. Rattle can or...? Where did you get that?
View Quote

I rattle can everything. Even that prism has been rattled since those pics.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#29]
any you have the 3x and the 5x , or tried both?   thinking about one.  but not sure.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By somedude:
any you have the 3x and the 5x , or tried both?   thinking about one.  but not sure.
View Quote

Get the 3x. I promise you will like it. (of course I could be wrong...)
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 7:12:55 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

I've got the 1x, 3x and 5x.  Of them all, I find the 3x the most all around useful.  FOV is very good, and noticeably better than the 5x.  While eye relief is the same on the 3x and 5x, the eyebox feels easier on the 3x.  Illumination is a little better on the 3x also.  Only criticism I have of the 3x is the horseshoe ring can obscure some of the target, however, that's offset by decent close in performance.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

I have acquired multiples in 1x, 2x, 2.5x, 3x micro, and 5x micro. Of those, the 2x and 3x micro are my favorites. I’m now down to only one 1x and I sold both of my 5x. The FOV on the 2x and 3x is truly amazing and they are both very fast, using BAC. I actually prefer them over my three acogs.

Between the two, the glass quality is superior in the 2x but it’s heavier, although not heavy compared to most magnified optics. If you are looking for a very light, fast, compact optic with a medium magnification and an enormous FOV, the 3x micro is what you seek. Just be sure to upgrade the base.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 10:33:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amprecon] [#33]
I've wanted an ACOG for my 6.8 AR since I found out about them, but could never stomach the cost. I've tried various other optics including LPVO's and even a Vortex 5x but nothing ever quite did it for me. I was hesitant about this optic as it was relatively new on the market and untested. I eventually just sucked it up and FO'd and must say have not regretted it. It seems the perfect optic for this setup, etched reticle that can be used with our without batteries. The illuminated reticle is no doubt a bonus but not a necessity, it is still completely useable without it. The weight and size is awesome for what it is and all the extra mounts that come with it is an extra bonus, being able to mount it in multiple ways.
I initially mounted it without a buis to get it mounted further back on the rifle but felt I needed one. I also did not like how the sight just "hung" way out there with no support, I imagine if it were dropped on the sight it could potentially break the mount. After installing the sight the rear bottom edge of the mount rests on the top of the buis pretty solidly seemingly without much pressure. If dropped on the sight I believe the mount could withstand it better. I am still able to get proper cheek weld and good eye relief/sight picture with it moved forward.
After the reconfig I went back to the range with it and re-sighted the buis and the SLx and things went very well. No malf's, no probs and on target, this is at 100 yards using SSA 110 gr. sp tactical loads and S&B 110 fmj's. I don't think I'll have to muck around with this setup anymore.

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 4:30:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zaitsev9130] [#34]
After some time with both the 1x and 3x PA MP's,   I can say a few things.

they are both great for the cost and for their intended roles.

the 1x is really great as a replacement/ alternative to a red dot,  where the user either wants the  etched reticle for reliability,  or has astigmatism, or both.    its non magnified,  but im my opinion gives you better visibility at longer ranges than a red dot.  the glass is clearer and the reticle is sharper than my HS 403b.  that said,  its still just 1x and while hits are possible,  target ID may be difficult at longer ranges.

the 3x is a really good,  compact, magnified optic.  the 3x is a significant increase over the 1x,  but still gives you a decent FOV at range.  close up its alittle tight.  target ID is much improved over the 1x.  glass is very sharp and clear, for the money, and just in general.   reticle is usable and not too busy, however the large horseshoe could be alittle thinner so avoid obscuring the target area.

I found that the 3x excels at 50-400ish... past that you really cant see your hits... but i also found that inside 50,  the 1x is much quicker on target, and easier to make hits, idk its hard to explain but its like th 3x is too precise at close range,  and its kinda had to keep the reticle steady, compared to the 1x.  now if you take the time to brace the rifle you can be very precise,  but the 1x is markedly faster to "hits on target"  at close range.  no surprise,  the 1x is very close to a red dot.

i really go back and forth alot on which one of these I keep on my " Go-To" rifle.   its a 14.5"   so a little magnification would be useable for target ID and longer range shots,  though the 1x can still be very precise to medium ranges,  say 150,  which is most likely more than enough for a self defense type of engagement.  right now its got the 1x on it,  but the 3x on a adm qd mount and flip up irons is very appealing as well.

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 1:35:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JustDaniel] [#35]
I know this is a 3x thread but there are a lot of comparison discussions about the 1x vs 3x in here so I wanted to remind some of you guys to take a serious look at 2x GLX if you can’t decide. IMO it is the most versatile of the entire lineup. I have several and they are stupid fast for close in shots and the 2x gives you plenty of magnification out to 350. It is by far my favorite of all of the PA prisms, with the 3x micro being a close second. I actually prefer the PA 2x over my acogs.

Link Posted: 10/28/2023 1:10:52 AM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes

@03RN

@williedikker72
Middle hole now

Can you link me that carry handle mount you bought fkr that?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#37]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20230916_093551_jpg-2955635.JPG
I think I'm going to keep it on her for a while
View Quote

now I need two.

forgot about my 20" A1
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#38]
This thread made me get an ADM micro ACOG 1.93" high mount for mine.  

Link Posted: 11/14/2023 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#39]
I’m waiting for my boresighter to arrive as my 3x was several feet off at the 100, but here’s the setup for now. In time I’ll replace the cheap 45 irons with a green dot or better irons.

Link Posted: 11/14/2023 11:27:09 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm waiting for my boresighter to arrive as my 3x was several feet off at the 100, but here's the setup for now. In time I'll replace the cheap 45 irons with a green dot or better irons.

https://i.imgur.io/rJjCMWr_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
View Quote
Boooo lasers.

Usually it's the local yokel gonsmif laser boresighting that is 1 foot off. Yours is several? I'd double check my assembly, but expect to send that scope back.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:27:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#41]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Boooo lasers.

Usually it's the local yokel gonsmif laser boresighting that is 1 foot off. Yours is several? I'd double check my assembly, but expect to send that scope back.
View All Quotes
I'm waiting for my boresighter to arrive as my 3x was several feet off at the 100, but here's the setup for now. In time I'll replace the cheap 45 irons with a green dot or better irons.

https://i.imgur.io/rJjCMWr_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
Boooo lasers.

I just disassembled, reassembled, and retightened everything today, but yeah.  I was at least one and a half high, two right at 100 yards.  It'll be next Tuesday at the earliest before I can get to the range to confirm anything though, assuming my car can get through the snow getting dumped up here.  (They don't plow the range road/lot often)

I've got one of those crappy .223 brass lasers I'll check with tonight, but I have a real bore mount unit on the way.

Edit: did a RMA this morning. Adjustments aren’t working on the optic. Crap happens.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm going to have to send mine back to PA this week.

I took it to the range today to re-zero after a awful experience with it at a recent rifle match.  The impacts were 2 feet left of the aim point at 50 yards.

After putting it on a bench and adjusting the windage at 25 yards I went as far as I could reasonable turn the dial and was still has impacting 3" left of the aim point.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Are these scopes that are failing to zero mounted with factory hardware?
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 6:38:47 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Mine is, yeah.  I went to redo the boresight and ran out of upward elevation before getting near the dot, despite I was already shooting way high and right.  Waiting to hear back from PA about my RMA.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I feel the stock mount is crap. Had one on my glx 2x and used up all the windage to get centered. Bought a Midwest Industries mini acog mount and all is right with the world. Ditch the stock mount as fast as you can when mounting up these prisms.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 9:15:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: toyotaman] [#46]
View Quote

Well mine was zeroed initially on the stock mount.  But it wasn't still zeroed at last weekend's local match so I put it on a bench rest today thinking I must have swapped it out on a different rifle and just needed to re-zero.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#47]

Mine is, yeah.  I went to redo the boresight and ran out of upward elevation before getting near the dot, despite I was already shooting way high and right.  Waiting to hear back from PA about my RMA.
View Quote
That sounds like FORS confusion. Do you mean ran out of the reticle's upwards travel (impact lower)?
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 2:24:12 AM EDT
[#48]
That sounds like FORS confusion. Do you mean ran out of the reticle's upwards travel (impact lower)?
View All Quotes

Yup, I just didn't word it well, but I ran out of upward reticle travel trying to reach the boresight dot.  I'll hopefully hear from PA tomorrow in regards to the RMA.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#49]
I was advised to reset the optic to mechanical center and redo the boresight at 100 yards. Guess we’ll see how long laser batteries will last in subzero conditions.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Primary Arms SLx 3x MicroPrism - The Best of The Bunch?
Page / 21
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top