Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2017 12:58:44 AM EDT
I need to replace a cheap PA mount for my 6.8 hunting rig.
Any other top tier scope mounts you can think of that aren't QD? I have a Geissele Super Precision on a RECCE and it's amazing. Just not sure I absolutely have to spend over $300 for a mount again.

Wouldn't mind a LT104 or LT158, just don't plan on taking it off and on much, if ever. But for $200, it may be the best option still. Just want to make sure I'm not overlooking any. I have an appreciation for precision machined mounts and don't want to cheap out.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:12:48 AM EDT
[#1]
LaRue makes their mounts without QD they are $50 less. Also look at Aero mounts, I have one on my 6.8 and 3 gun rifle. Lightweight and solid.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:53:59 AM EDT
[#2]
LT104s pop up regularly on the EE. I think I paid around $150 for mine.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:09:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I love Larue VFZ mounts. Easier to crank down on them so that there is no shifting, and cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:46:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Consider Leupold's Mark 2 IMS one piece cantilever mount or the Aero Precision.  Both are about the same price ($85-$100 range) and are rock solid.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Best? You mean like it holds the scope in place? 

AeroPrecision mounts are great for about $70-$100
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I am a LaRue kind of guy.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Best? You mean like it holds the scope in place? 

AeroPrecision mounts are great for about $70-$100
View Quote
Yeah, as in perfectly in spec rings that don't damage the scope tube (been there w/ Warne), doesn't shift at all, easy on the eyes, not obstructive to peripheral view, 1.45" - 1.50" centerline height. Those types of things

Thanks, I'll check out AP.

Anyone have a close up pic of the Larue VFZ mount?
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:27:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, as in perfectly in spec rings that don't damage the scope tube (been there w/ Warne), doesn't shift at all, easy on the eyes, not obstructive to peripheral view, 1.45" - 1.50" centerline height. Those types of things

Thanks, I'll check out AP.

Anyone have a close up pic of the Larue VFZ mount?
View Quote
You described my  AeroP Ultralight to a T, fit two different upper like a glove. $69 from anazon
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#9]
for non-QD mounts, I'm partial to the DNZ Freedom Reaper - model #121FPT or 161FPT (1"), 321FPT (30mm)
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#10]
My vote goes to Geissele if you can afford them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:38:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I have both Aero ultralights and Burris PEPR mounts. Both do the job but the Aeros are much nicer to look at and lighter.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My vote goes to Geissele if you can afford them.
View Quote
this is pretty much the answer and the caveat for any question relating to AR's
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
this is pretty much the answer and the caveat for any question relating to AR's
View Quote
I have a Geissele Super Precision on my LaRue Stealth. I love it! I was just looking to see if there was anything out there for my hunting rig that doesn't cost over $300. I recently put a PEPR on my friends AR10 and didn't care for it much. The rings were OK, but the locking levers were flimsy and the front one would not release easily at all.

I'll take another look at the Aero unit, but most likely will go with Larue VFZ mount.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#14]
The Aero mounts are great and can be had for $50-70.

aero ultralight

I also like the look of the new Seekins mounts.  More money though.

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/mxm-scope-mount-2.html
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Warne X-Skel. Light, inexpensive, and very durable.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a flat answer that I give when someone asks a recommendation for a scope mount that does not require quick-detachment features:

get rings, or a base and rings.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Compared to the Geissele, in my opinion, the Aero mounts feel a bit flimsy.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Compared to the Geissele, in my opinion, the Aero mounts feel a bit flimsy.
View Quote
That's a given just by looking at them.  You can buy four Aero mounts for the price of one Geissele and have money left over for a $30 lunch/ dinner.  I have both mounts but would most likely never buy another Geissele mount.  I would get a DNZ before I bought another Geissele.  The Geissele mount is solid and well made but I feel it's too expensive.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's a given just by looking at them.  You can buy four Aero mounts for the price of one Geissele and have money left over for a $30 lunch/ dinner.  I have both mounts but would most likely never buy another Geissele mount.  I would get a DNZ before I bought another Geissele.  The Geissele mount is solid and well made but I feel it's too expensive.
View Quote
At $162 during the Blem sales, I feel it is money well spent.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

At $162 during the Blem sales, I feel it is money well spent.
View Quote
The blem sales are nice and that would be the only time I would consider buying one.  Primary Arms also had a blow out sale late last year and could be had for $160-$180 range.  You can also find the aero mounts on sale often for $55.  That makes it three Aero mounts for one Geissele.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#21]
DNZ freedom reaper
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#22]
aero or dnz
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#23]
for my money, nightforce xtreme duty ultralights are the best mounts out there
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I would never try to steer anyone away from a Larue LT104.  So my first recommendation would be a new LT104 from Larue followed buy a used LT104 off the EE.  Then if one can't be had, I would follow that up by a Midwest Industries qd scope mount from DSG Arms (With a account I am showing it @ $152.96 with $5 shipping.  Midwest does or use to own American Defense which makes good mounts too.  I wouldn't recommend the none qd midwest mount thou as there are only 2 screws per clamp and the 4 screws on the qd is much better.  Midwest are good but only if you are on a very, very tight budget would I consider it over a Larue.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
for my money, nightforce xtreme duty ultralights are the best mounts out there
View Quote
Their ultra lightrings are fantastic, too.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:31:09 AM EDT
[#26]
I've been using the DNZ mounts for a few years on my non AR hunting rifles (lever guns, muzzle loaders etc) and have been extremely satisfied.  I have not tried their AR mounts, but it's nice to see they are recommended.  I went with the LT104 for this year's 450 bushmaster build.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've been using the DNZ mounts for a few years on my non AR hunting rifles (lever guns, muzzle loaders etc) and have been extremely satisfied.  I have not tried their AR mounts, but it's nice to see they are recommended.  I went with the LT104 for this year's 450 bushmaster build.
View Quote
I started using the DNZ Game Reapers on my Marlin and Savage bolt guns along with my 10/22. I liked them so much that I started using the Freedom Reaper mounts on my scoped AR's. I don't have a need for QD, so the Freedom Reapers fit the bill for my needs. I have an Aero lightweight mount an a lightweight build, but I question it's robustness/durability compared to the DNZ mounts (they are built like tanks). I don't question the quality of LaRue/Geissele mounts, but the prices just don't make sense for me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Geissele
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Out of curiosity what's wrong with the primary arms mount?

I have an Aero mount and a PA mount, the Aero is extremely light but nothing wrong with the PA either
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have both Aero ultralights and Burris PEPR mounts. Both do the job but the Aeros are much nicer to look at and lighter.
View Quote
These are, in my experience with many mounts, the two worst precision rifle mounts, but in two different ways. The PEPR for the QD mount and the rings for leveling on the Aero. I'd recommend anyone looking for very accurate, very good for long range tracking mounts to avoid both of these mounts. The PEPR either shifts on the rail or a QD lever is likey not going to release. Vertical split rings on Aero make true vertical tracking almost impossible to achieve. If it's just a zero and never move 2nd focal plane scope they are a non issue, but for dialing in tons of elevation... avoid.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would never try to steer anyone away from a Larue LT104.  So my first recommendation would be a new LT104 from Larue followed buy a used LT104 off the EE.  Then if one can't be had, I would follow that up by a Midwest Industries qd scope mount from DSG Arms (With a account I am showing it @ $152.96 with $5 shipping.  Midwest does or use to own American Defense which makes good mounts too.  I wouldn't recommend the none qd midwest mount thou as there are only 2 screws per clamp and the 4 screws on the qd is much better.  Midwest are good but only if you are on a very, very tight budget would I consider it over a Larue.
View Quote
Totally agree. Unless dead broke, the Larue is hands down the better scope mount. Everything about it is slightly better, other than the small difference in price.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:54:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity what's wrong with the primary arms mount?

I have an Aero mount and a PA mount, the Aero is extremely light but nothing wrong with the PA either
View Quote
Money to burn? LOL, I don't know nothing really wrong with the PA mount other than the entire rifle is made up of high end parts except the mount. It just feels flimsy and the scope doesn't bed in the lower halfs as solid as I would like.

I want something solid and reliable in every way. I've started hog hunting from my RZR Atv and it gets knocked around quit a bit and I hunt with this rifle. If I weren't using it in the field I wouldn't worry about it as much.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#33]
DNZ Freedom Reaper.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#34]
I like the looks of the new seekins mounts.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Nightforce Unimount is slim and solid. I have had one on a target rifle with a picatinny base and its been solid for years. Its taken a few knocks here and there, but never lost zero.

I would also vote for their ultralight rings. NF claims their ultralights are stronger than their steel rings.

Either will be a rock solid mount.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:33:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Seekins is another good option I didn't think about, thanks.

As for the NF, isn't all their Unimounts 20 MOA?
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Burris zee rings
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Both of my unimounts are 20moa, it's never caused an issue.

Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Ok, so dont laugh, but...

https://www.amazon.com/CCOP-Profile-AR-ArmourTac-Picatinny-1-Inch/dp/B00QITM3WK/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1502645566&sr=1-1&keywords=ccop

$31. I have hundreds of rounds with it and so far rock solid. I figure why not start with less expensive option first and if no good, send it back...
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#40]
For something that won't get removed much at all, I like Aero Precisions's ultralight extended, for QR, Larue's offerings.  For in between and relatively inexpensive and lightweight, I really like Leupold QR rings and have had great return to zero with them, though I would not use them on anything that is going to live on a quad or get the crap knocked out of it.  For abusive relationships, I go to LaRue.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Burris Pepr is rock solid. It is a little heavy but is built extremely well. The Aero ultralight are nice but I would want if there is a chance you'll be knocking the gun around. Both are 70-80.00
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#42]

Spuhr?

But spend the EXTRA 120 bucks and get the QD version....well, that's what I wish I would have done.  Hell, I didn't even REALIZE they made a QD version!!!!

That being said....one hell of a mount!!!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:12:42 PM EDT
[#43]
How much you willing to spend?, how heavy are you willing to go?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#44]
desertmoon, you keep that Spuhr mount talk in the precision section.  

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm about to order the Larue VFZ. I really don't like buying the cheap stuff for my guns anymore and this rifle is going to see abuse and hog hunting.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top