Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2017 4:41:50 PM EDT
Sorry for this silly question but I am looking for some confirmation of what I have before I go buy the matching part. Paralysis by analysis I am afraid to say.lol

I received a Troy rear folding sight in a trade and need to get the matching height front sight and I cannot tell from Troy's website if I need the "M4" height or the "Medium". They offer no measurements.  I think mine is the M4 height because the peep hole is exactly in line with a MaTech Buis when I put them both on the flattop upper together, and there is a direct line of sight between the two with my M4 FSB sight. I would have to guess that the MaTech height would be the same as Troy's M4 height to co-witness with an M4 FSB.

Does this sound right? For reference, below is the rear I have and the distance between the yellow lines is right at 1 and 3/8 inches  (about 1.375"). Unfortunately there is no part number, and the Cage Code just identifies the manufacturer. Thanks very much!

edit: updated yellow line measurement to 1 and 3/8 "
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:49:02 PM EDT
[#1]
M4 Height.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I've only ever seen one type of Troy rear BUIS.

I don't see different heights listed on their website either.

They Have M4 and HK style front BUIS.

And they have "medium" and "micro" style.

Yours in the photo is the Medium.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#3]
The important question is are you going to be mounting your front sight on a free float rail (requires rail height front sight) or on a picatinny gas block (requires gas block height front sight)

And yes the Troy battlesight rear and the Matech are both the same height
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#4]
^Thanks guys. It is going on a different upper with a 15" free float rail, so I would imagine the front and rear sights need to be the same height.

So it seems 2 of the 3 of you believe I have the regular/BattleSight height rear sight. That makes sense to me. At first look I thought I had the "Medium" height, but when I installed the MaTech right behind it and saw that the peep holes were the same height from the flattop upper rail, made me think it must be the regular or  "BattleSight" height, i.e. not the "Medium" height. It also looks like Troy only sells the "Medium" heights in sets, not individually.

For clarification, I think I used the term "M4 height" confusingly/inappropriately. I used the term meaning the tallest of the 3 heights, to co-witness with the M4 FSB sight. I think Troy uses the term "M4 style" not for the height, but for the design of the top of the front sight. The M4 style has an open wing top versus the open circle top of the HK style.

So is it settled, I need to get the regular/BattleSight front sight, not the "Medium"?
Thanks much!
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
^Thanks guys. It is going on a different upper with a 15" free float rail, so I would imagine the front and rear sights need to be the same height.

So it seems 2 of the 3 of you believe I have the regular/BattleSight height rear sight. That makes sense to me. At first look I thought I had the "Medium" height, but when I installed the MaTech right behind it and saw that the peep holes were the same height from the flattop upper rail, made me think it must be the regular or  "BattleSight" height, i.e. not the "Medium" height. It also looks like Troy only sells the "Medium" heights in sets, not individually.

For clarification, I think I used the term "M4 height" confusingly/inappropriately. I used the term meaning the tallest of the 3 heights, to co-witness with the M4 FSB sight. I think Troy uses the term "M4 style" not for the height, but for the design of the top of the front sight. The M4 style has an open wing top versus the open circle top of the HK style.

So is it settled, I need to get the regular/BattleSight front sight, not the "Medium"?
Thanks much!
View Quote
Correct. Rail height front sight is what you seek. Troy Battlesight, MBUS, MBUS PRO front sights are all the height you seek for your front sight. Would probably go with the battlesight to make it a matched pair
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you MillSpec, and everyone else.
If anyone has a spare front regular size they don't need, let me know. I just put a WTB ad up in the Misc wanted section.
Thx
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Troy makes three different height rear sight for combat style shooting. The picture posted is the standard M4/A4 rear sight designed for use with "F" marked front sight bases and flip up BUIS mounted on float tubes.

Their shorter sights are designed for use with HK and similar raised rail 5.56mm (piston guns) and the shortest sights (micros) are made for even taller rails like sub machine guns, SIG-MPX or similar weapons.

I'll try to access my records for the exact measurements.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Per email directly from Troy:

Standard BUIS rear sight centerline = 1.36" above rail.
Medium BUIS rear sight centerline = 1.27" above rail.
Micro BUIS rear sight centerline = 1.16" above rail.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:46:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks BP! I re-measured mine from the top of each raised rail section (above the rail), and mine is exactly 1 and 3/8" which is basically 1.36".
Thx

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Per email directly from Troy:

Standard BUIS rear sight centerline = 1.36" above rail.
Medium BUIS rear sight centerline = 1.27" above rail.
Micro BUIS rear sight centerline = 1.16" above rail.
View Quote
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top