Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2017 2:05:47 PM EDT
So I had an eotech exps2 that I got a full refund after their debacle. I bought an Aimpoint comp m4s. It's a really well built sight and I don't say this to start a which is better thread, but i just don't like a plain red dot. So I sold the Aimpoint and am looking for a new holosight. That means really 2 options.

1) pre-order the Vortex AMG Uh-1 and hope it is solid and I like it.

2) order one of the "newer" eotech exps2's that apparently might have some of the issues resolved. I know the sight and love it, but I also know what the potential problem might be.

What say you and why? Yes you have to choose one of those options unless there is another holosight I am unaware of.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Eotech
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Eotech
View Quote
Why?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd go for the Vortex simply for the fact that I personally don't trust Eotech when they say "oh yeah, we finally fixed those issues we couldn't fix for nearly ten years even though we told you before we did."  They lied.  Multiple times to multiple different people/entities.  Sorry, but I don't have faith that they're capable of telling the truth.

Vortex, on the other hand, has never been caught in a lie (to my knowledge) and has awesome CS should anything go wrong.  They're obviously working out any of the kinks from the system (hence why the UH-1 still isn't released) and I truly believe they won't release it until it suffers from none of the issues that Eotechs do/did.

My wife absolutely loved her Eotech because of how large the optic window was, but it had to be sent back for the refund after it started suffering from purge loss/reticle fade.  She is patiently waiting for the UH-1 to be released so we can put one on her rifle.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'd go for the Vortex simply for the fact that I personally don't trust Eotech when they say "oh yeah, we finally fixed those issues we couldn't fix for nearly ten years even though we told you before we did."  They lied.  Multiple times to multiple different people/entities.  Sorry, but I don't have faith that they're capable of telling the truth.

Vortex, on the other hand, has never been caught in a lie (to my knowledge) and has awesome CS should anything go wrong.  They're obviously working out any of the kinks from the system (hence why the UH-1 still isn't released) and I truly believe they won't release it until it suffers from none of the issues that Eotechs do/did.

My wife absolutely loved her Eotech because of how large the optic window was, but it had to be sent back for the refund after it started suffering from purge loss/reticle fade.  She is patiently waiting for the UH-1 to be released so we can put one on her rifle.
View Quote
That is my rationale for preordering the vortex. I do worry what unknown issues a first of its kind product from them will have.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That is my rationale for preordering the vortex. I do worry what unknown issues a first of its kind product from them will have.
View Quote
That's always a possibility with a new product, but I'd rest easy knowing Vortex will absolutely take care of you should something go wrong.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's always a possibility with a new product, but I'd rest easy knowing Vortex will absolutely take care of you should something go wrong.
View Quote
I have a vortex magnifier and their support is great. I also like they wanted to build this product here. I wish they left out the USB port. That cover is prone to breaking and leaving the port exposed.  I also wish they could have a shorter tunnel and a completely tint free window. But you can't have everything!
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one of the "newer" EPXS2's, works just fine.  Even confirmed with EOTECH support that mine was OK.

mm
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 2:11:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd get the Vortex.

I have a rifle ready for it when they start shipping
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:07:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Since utility is not a consideration, get whichever you think is cooler looking... or cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:13:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I have had excellent luck with Vortex products.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Given your strict selection OP I say go Eotech even though I'm an Aimpoint man
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#12]
The reason MOA was shifting in Eotechs is how the laser is focused on to the grating. because all of the surfaces are different, you have to focus the beam on the collimator mirror (The arched mirror on top) before it bounces to the next step (Reticle.) Easiest way to explain is it's like a lens, adjusting toward or away from the housing itself alters the light path to focus/unfocus. So if heat affects adhesive and plastic, expansion and contraction would come into play and over time wreak havoc (such as the 12 moa thermal drift.)

It's metal shims now instead of plastic adhesive backed which fixes the issue of the zero shifting (thermal drift)

I'd go Eotech.  The issues are in fact fixed.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The reason MOA was shifting in Eotechs is how the laser is focused on to the grating. because all of the surfaces are different, you have to focus the beam on the collimator mirror (The arched mirror on top) before it bounces to the next step (Reticle.) Easiest way to explain is it's like a lens, adjusting toward or away from the housing itself alters the light path to focus/unfocus. So if heat affects adhesive and plastic, expansion and contraction would come into play and over time wreak havoc (such as the 12 moa thermal drift.)

It's metal shims now instead of plastic adhesive backed which fixes the issue of the zero shifting (thermal drift)

View Quote
I was told that EOTech engineers known about the issue for over 10 years......just that bean counters won't allow them to fix the issue with a change of the production process. This what you get when MBA overrule those with engineering degrees.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
No they are not. They've claimed this multiple times and multiple times it's been a lie

What isn't a lie is when they admitted and it's documented to the courts they couldn't fix the issues.

The optic needs to be rebuilt from scratch to be fixed.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:45:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No they are not. They've claimed this multiple times and multiple times it's been a lie

What isn't a lie is when they admitted and it's documented to the courts they couldn't fix the issues.

The optic needs to be rebuilt from scratch to be fixed.
View Quote
This information came straight from one of my good buddies who is on the inside.  You'd have to understand how these things work from a design standpoint.  

Essentially there were/are three or so different parts, each of different materials, which means each one reacts to temperatures differently.  Combine that with adhesive on some of those parts and when introduced to extreme conditions such as a significant temperature change each one of those components and or adhesives would react differently causing parts to move.

If you send your eotech in, those parts are replaced which fixes the issue.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Metal shimming it is a temporary fix because the mirror supports are plastic as from the original Bushnell design. To fix it correctly, EOTech needs to redesign the sight housing and use metal for the mirror support.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:39:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Vortex customer support is amazing. I am awaiting the UH-1 for my bumpsaw.
EOTech lied multiple times. Fuck em. They think a "oh this time we promise" and a new logo is going to fix things? lol.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I liked the EoTech reticle with the 2 dots, but have since moved on to a 1-4 Steiner. I never had issues with the EoTech, but then again, I only had a it a year. Magnification is the way to go YMMV. EoTech would be my choice. By the way, my EoTech had the new logo...FWIW.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 3:16:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm going to give the Vortex a go. It's hard to have faith in a company that did what Eotech did. That alone is reason enough for me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:44:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
This,  go vortex and be done with it, I liked my eotech but the company behind it sucks. On the other side vortex will take care of you if there is an issue
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This information came straight from one of my good buddies who is on the inside.  You'd have to understand how these things work from a design standpoint.  

Essentially there were/are three or so different parts, each of different materials, which means each one reacts to temperatures differently.  Combine that with adhesive on some of those parts and when introduced to extreme conditions such as a significant temperature change each one of those components and or adhesives would react differently causing parts to move.

If you send your eotech in, those parts are replaced which fixes the issue.
View Quote
Eotech customer service said they will not replace any parts, and there are no updated parts to even replace.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top