Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2017 5:24:58 PM EDT
So I've been defending Holosun sights because I love the features, BUT I WAS WRONG and I can admit it. My son and I own 5 Holosuns, 3 broke in the last 4 months. I pulled my gun out of the safe back in March and the reticle electronics were screwed up( Roud count: about 300). They gave me a new one without any hassle. My son has dropped 2 of his in the last 2 weeks on carpet while standing (while changing ejection port covers) and fractured the glass on both of them. So we switched to MRO's and ACOG's. Never go cheap on your optics!
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#1]
That surprises me. I ran PA mrds for several years issue free, I assumed Holosun was comparible?

Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had good luck with them so far after having used the 403, 503 and now the 510.  From what I've seen, it's usually the mounts that go first. Sucks that you've had such bad luck with them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the warning.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried the HS503C, and I loved that the reticle was easy on my astigmatism, and I got the sight zeroed fairly quickly. The problem came when I replaced the adjustment caps. Tightening them shifted point of impact low and left, the distance off zero depending on how tight you got the caps. I paid $200 for that thing.

None of the numerous sub-$100 Bushnell TRS-25's that I've bought have ever given me a second's trouble, and they have sat upon every type of gun from a .22 pistol, to a lightweight H&R .45-70 handi-rifle (syn. stock, bbl cut to 16.5").
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep. I want that 503 reticle.

Too bad they arent worth it
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I've always wondered how the quality was with Holosun. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#7]
There is certainly a difference with Aimpoint
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had great luck with them. Mine get beat up pretty good and I've never had a failure. Would I put one on my SHTF, HD, etc. gun? Probably not, but for training and practice they work great for me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is certainly a difference with Aimpoint
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:07:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Thought about Holosuns for fun guns, but then I could get Vortex SparcARs for less money, with a no-questions asked lifetime warranty, so I went with those.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:18:12 PM EDT
[#11]
What models do you and your son have?

I have a 515bu that I love, I've moved it back and forth between a 5.56 AR and a 9mm AR. I would have already ordered another one, but I've been waiting on the new holosun models to come out.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:42:44 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want the same features that are offered by Holosun, you might want to look into the Sig Sauer Romeo line of optics.  Mine hasn't crapped out... yet.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:02:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you want the same features that are offered by Holosun, you might want to look into the Sig Sauer Romeo line of optics.  Mine hasn't crapped out... yet.
View Quote
There's a reason they have the same features and appearance as Holosun sights.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#14]
We have 4 503's and 1 that looks kinda like an Eotech.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#15]
mine broke first time i took it to range.  that was after screw for battery tray stripped putting in for first time.  no more for me
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Almost makes me want to ditch mine and get the Primary Arms version. Seems like their brand has better quality control.

No huge deal though. I mean it is in an ADM Mount, co-witnessed with DD Fixed Irons. It's been holding up okay so far.

So the red dots were dropped attached to an upper? I thought they could take more of a beating than that. After seeing what AOU did to the Primary Arms sight on an AK.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I tried the HS503C, and I loved that the reticle was easy on my astigmatism, and I got the sight zeroed fairly quickly. The problem came when I replaced the adjustment caps. Tightening them shifted point of impact low and left, the distance off zero depending on how tight you got the caps. I paid $200 for that thing.

None of the numerous sub-$100 Bushnell TRS-25's that I've bought have ever given me a second's trouble, and they have sat upon every type of gun from a .22 pistol, to a lightweight H&R .45-70 handi-rifle (syn. stock, bbl cut to 16.5").
View Quote
Weird, I had that same exact issue (caps moving POI). HS replaced it and that one didn't have that issue. But now I always leave the caps off until I set the buis to them. Then cap them and double check.
It seems some have loose turrets, so always good to check on new units.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:13:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a holosun on my Arsenal AK and it's been thru 3 classes, dropped in the desert dirt with stones and has been rock solid for me. I find them to be outstanding for the money.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:22:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
 the Sig Romeos are made by Holosun. Holosun makes each companies own style of mini red dot  for Tru Glo, Sig Optics, Primary Arms, I think even Sightmark has one of their mini red dot styles now. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#20]
My only issue is the mounts.  The bolt on mine snapped in half the first time I fired a shot of 9mm.  They sent me 2 extras so I guess it's a common failure
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Almost makes me want to ditch mine and get the Primary Arms version. Seems like their brand has better quality control.

No huge deal though. I mean it is in an ADM Mount, co-witnessed with DD Fixed Irons. It's been holding up okay so far.

So the red dots were dropped attached to an upper? I thought they could take more of a beating than that. After seeing what AOU did to the Primary Arms sight on an AK.
View Quote
I would recommend this.  From all that I've seen I believe PA maintains tighter QA requirements and oversight on the manufacture of their budget red dots.  Plus PA is pretty good about standing behind their product.  I've had issues crop up years down the road, and when I inquired at PA they were always quick to work with me to try and make it right.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I have two 403b's and I've beat on them pretty good for the last 10 months or so and neither have lost zero. But since I know they are budget optics I have them co-witnessed with Daniel Defense fixed sights in case of a failure.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:03:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I have two Holosun red dots. The 403A has been on my M4gery for three years and been rock solid over 3000 rounds and two carbine classes. I picked up a 403B at the end of last year for a new lightweight build. It's also been flawless through 500 rounds. Both have held perfect zero.

I have no affiliation with Holosun or any vendor.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:22:25 AM EDT
[#24]
I haven't heard as good of things from the 500 series it seems. Had my 403a coming up on three years on my AR pistol and it's been fantastic.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:53:53 AM EDT
[#25]
My only Holosun was DOA. Replaced after numerous emails. The replacement had a wonky reticle (circle-dot) due to barely noticeable asymmetric illumination. I sold that shit pretty quick. Never again.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:58:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Wow. And my Korean sight keeps truckin'. Heck, I whacked it repeatedly with my punch hammer to see how much the dot would shift, or if I'd lose illum. Sight didn't lose zero or illum. RV-1 may be simple and a bit big, but damn tough. Kinda cheap, but it works.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a particular model TruGlo which is the 1st cousin to same style Holosun and PA. So far, no issues. Anything will break any time. Sorry to hear of your bad luck.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:06:05 AM EDT
[#28]
My 503c is on a scorpion evo now which rides under the back seat of my truck. Ive had the sight for 2 years now held zero the entire time it was on my AR and still works great on the scorpion
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Pics of shattered ones and which models were they?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Meh.

I just ordered a 503GU.

I've been watching these for a while now just to kick one around.  I like the circle dot as well as the auto on/off feature.  But the $240 price discouraged me.

I found one for $160 from some place I never heard of so I passed on that.  Then CTD had them at $180 but it was CTD so...  Then Amazon had them listed @ $176 yesterday so I order one.

I'm not holding high hopes for it but I guess I'll find out soon enough and at that price I'm willing to give it a try.

Thanks for posting about your trouble with them.  I hope you get it worked out.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top