Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2017 11:49:33 PM EDT
After having been out for a few years now, what are the thoughts about the reticle choices on the Accupower 1-4x?

It seems people are more satisfied with the red vs green illumination. Anyone care to comment?

Also, I'm somewhat leery of BDC reticles, but admit I don't have a lot of experience with them. My knee jerk reaction is to go with the MIL square, but the segmented circle/dot with BDC does seem interesting to me.

This will be living on a 14.5" gun chambered in .223 Wylde, so it will be asked to do a little bit of everything. Most shots will be 150 yards and in. The absolute longest I would take it for anything serious would be ~350 yards.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:04:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:56:53 AM EDT
[#2]
For your distances get the green triangle. I have a 1-4 green triangle and it is my favorite optic over my VCOG. I have the 1-8 accupower and I like it but time will tell if it replaces my accupoint as my favorite. The accupoints have a variety of reticles especially on the 1-6 line.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I really think I want to stick with the Accupower line of scopes. The TR24 does seem nice, but I will be using this on some night hog hunts, so I place a good bit of value on the battery powered illumination. Without being able to get my hands on one before buying, I don't see myself going the tritium route.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#4]
AccuPower reticles, anyone?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I own the old style Accupoint 1.25x4 scope with the German #4 reticle. It has a sliding window that allows me to adjust how bright the dot at the crosshairs center gets depending on ambient light. It works fine.

What I don't like is the "German" part of the reticle, it is way too thick. It's almost absurd. It blocks a lot of my vision left to right.

Whether this reticle is an option on the newer scopes is unknown to me. I will say you should look through one before considering that as an option.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the green segmented circle BDC.  Not daylight bright but intuitive and overall my favorite along that make of optic.  If going the 1-8x version, I'd go red as it's daylight bright.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AccuPower reticles, anyone?
View Quote
Used to have the red segmented circle. It wasn't daylight bright as has been said but the big broken up circle works pretty well for CQB. I was pretty fast with it. I have a Leupold VX6 1-6 now and despite it (just barely) brig daylight bright I ponder selling and buying a new Accupower. 

ETA: as a matter of fact if Trijicon produced the same reticle in a 1-6 that only cost 2-400 over what the 1-4 costs I'd buy it as soon as I could. 
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:41:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have the green segmented circle BDC.  Not daylight bright but intuitive and overall my favorite along that make of optic.  If going the 1-8x version, I'd go red as it's daylight bright.
View Quote
This is what I have, green segmented circle and is is not daylight bright.  The scope is great, but I am not 100% sure if I would buy it again. Doing this all over again, I would go with the new 1-8 in red illumination.

With the 1-8 getting so much attention today, I can see the 1-4 being phased out.  

Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#10]
for retucle color, if you like aimpoints red reticle, get that. i dont like the green. it blends in with vegitation too much.

if you can seing the cost, jump to the TR25 1-6x.

as for dot vs triangle, tough call but the dot is small. the triangle in the Tr25 is smaller and i like that idea better. the TR24 triangle is a little big for me.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:37:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is what I have, green segmented circle and is is not daylight bright.  The scope is great, but I am not 100% sure if I would buy it again. Doing this all over again, I would go with the new 1-8 in red illumination.

With the 1-8 getting so much attention today, I can see the 1-4 being phased out.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's still a place for 1-4x. Price, weight, capped turrets etc...
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I wound up going with the red segmented circle.

I'd love to look at the 1-8x, but the 1-4 was a better size (already have a 30mm mount available), weight (it's a LW build gun), magnifcation (don't need to go much beyond 350 yards or so) and price for me right now.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Good choice
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:00:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Man, I just got it all mounted up today, but I'm very pleased with my choice. The glass quality is fantastic and from panning around the parking lot for a little bit, the illumination seems like it can hold up in daylight well enough. My only nit pick so far is that I have a little bit of a tough time picking up the number etchings on the reticle with speed. I can see this getting easier with some familiarity.

Hope to get it to a range this weekend to see what it can do.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:29:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I hate asking stupid questions, but I can't figure this one out.

https://www.trijicon.com/resources/downloads/AcPwr_4x24_Seg_Circle_Reticle_Measurements.pdf

I gather that "TYP" is some sort of measurement or unit I can use for ranging, but what exactly am I looking at here?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I hate asking stupid questions, but I can't figure this one out.

https://www.trijicon.com/resources/downloads/AcPwr_4x24_Seg_Circle_Reticle_Measurements.pdf

I gather that "TYP" is some sort of measurement or unit I can use for ranging, but what exactly am I looking at here?
View Quote
Bump?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Bump?
View Quote
"TYP" stands for "Typical". For instance, instead of calling out each of the 4 thin crosshair lines, they just label it as "0.33 TYP".
The dimensions are in MOA when the scope is at maximum power. 
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top