Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2017 4:47:41 PM EDT
I just purchased this scope withe the firedot-g spr reticle, and was wondering if I did alright or if I could have been better off spending the $450 elsewhere.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't looked at the mark ar but local shop sells the vxr patrol 1.25-4 for $440, wouldn't worry about it now just shoot the snot outta it
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Haven't looked at the mark ar but local shop sells the vxr patrol 1.25-4 for $440, wouldn't worry about it now just shoot the snot outta it
View Quote
Well that would take all the wonder right out of it.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I love this scope. Ended up trading mine for an H1, and it's the one trade I regret. Will be a future purchase again for sure.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#4]
That is a solid optic. It's much lighter weight than competing brands and Leupold's warranty is excellent. It will preform well for you in it's intended role.

I've recently seen them advertised for less, but don't sweat it at this point. Just enjoy.

Also, consider Leupold's Mark 2 integrated mount. Also very light weight and well constructed.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got one. Paid much less through a special deal, but think it's great. You'll never beat the weight and clarity of the glass in its price range.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:47:02 PM EDT
[#6]
For the dollar amount it's a great scope. I always say trijicon for optics but my dad has one on his carbine and it's a great little scope it's light the dot is actually bright enough and it's a useful reticle. It's a good little scope. Yes it can be had for cheaper than what you paid for but whatever it's not that bad of a price
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Sweet, thanks everyone. It sounds like I'll be happy. I guess the only con is I may have paid a bit more than I could have, I think it was $458 out the door, but that was also from a  shop in my home town and I like to help my community if it's not a real hosing.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:02:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I love this scope. Ended up trading mine for an H1, and it's the one trade I regret. Will be a future purchase again for sure.
View Quote
That is what I was hoping to hear.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#9]
You did great. Leupold makes some of the best scopes in the world, at any price.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I actually prefer the 1.5 to the 1.25. I like the touch of magnification on the low end.  It's a great optic; compact, light, and true daylight bright.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#11]
The glass on the Mark AR is good at its price point, it is lighter than any competitive scope with similar features, well-constructed (failures are practically unheard of), it has a very useful reticle for its intended purpose of shooting primarily inside three hundred yards with an extended range capability largely depending on dialing with the turrets.  Those turrets are mrad calibrated, very precise and repeatable, and match the reticle.

The "big thing" about this scope is the combination of light weight and the incredible motion-activated full noon daylight bright capable Firedot illumination.  No one  beats the weight or that Firedot illumination.  The motion-activation means you leave it on 24/7/365.  It is always ready like an Aimpoint with a battery life that you will measure in years.  The system is identical to that in my VX-R Patrol other than your dot is green, mine red.  I'm well beyond three years on the original battery and thinking of replacing it "just  because"  like Aimpoint users do every few years, rather than waiting for it to eventually fail.

It's an incredible scope at its price point.  The only criticism is that it does not go down to "true" 1x.  I think that is an exaggerated benefit.  Most low cost 1x scopes have a lot of distracting fish eye distortion at 1x. Leupold was wise to not try that at this price point.  Some will criticize the 2.5 mil spacing on the hash marks in the reticle as being too widely spaced.    But the reticle was designed for a different purpose:  Get on target rapidly at close to medium range, and to track and engage moving targets out to 300 yards where hold overs are not needed and 4x is sufficient.  Beyond that either use the turrets or know the yardage values for the hold over reticle subtensions.

I opted for the Patrol only because I hunt and shoot in low light dawn and dusk. The Patrol has better glass for those more demanding conditions.  Otherwise, the Mark AR would have been fine and saved me money.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I think a picture is much needed at this point.  I'm also searching for an optic at this point.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think a picture is much needed at this point.  I'm also searching for an optic at this point.
View Quote
Cap down like EOG
" />

" />
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Very pleased to find this topic. Many thanks to OP and commenters.
I have been slowly moving toward participating in NRA Across-The-Course (XTC) Service Rifle events, and learned recently that optics are now permitted, up to 4.5X. ...And that this Leupold is a strong candidate, but was looking for some practical reviews of it. Found here! Looks like I will jump in and get one.
Rumor has it that the optics were approved for XTC for two reasons:
    1. to reflect real-world service rifle usage, i.e., the troops are using 'em
    2. similar to F-Class in High Power Rifle, optics enables older eyes (like mine! ) to continue to enjoy the sport
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:09:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I was torn when I bought my last scope. I have the Leupold Mark AR mod 1 3-9x on one of my ARs and absolutely love it. Light weight very clear affordable. I just bought a PA 1-6X gen 3 I thought about the leupold 1.5-4 but I couldn't find one locally to check out before buying and I wasnt sure hows Id like to 1.5x the PA is very very close to a true 1x and Im happy with it
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just bought a PA 1-6X gen 3 I thought about the leupold 1.5-4 but I couldn't find one locally...
View Quote
What is a PA 1-6x gen 3?  Who makes it?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What is a PA 1-6x gen 3?  Who makes it?  Thanks!
View Quote

Primary Arms

Link to optic

Primary Arms 1-6x Gen 3 Scope With ACSS Reticle Review (HD)

Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Though somewhat outdated, I really like the Mark AR Mod 1 SPR. The actual magnification range is 1.5-3.9x. This is narrow compared to most of its more "modern" competitors available in the same price range. In return, you get excellent glass, very usable illumination, and durable build quality in an extremely lightweight package. It's nearest competitor is the more expensive Steiner P4Xi in my opinion. The Steiner is a better optic in several ways in my opinion, but the most notable tradeoff is weight... the Steiner is half a pound heavier.

So for a lightweight build, it's extremely hard to beat the Leupold. The combination pictured with an Aero Precision Ultralight SPR mount (2" cantilever) weighs exactly 13.17oz. It compliments a lightweight rail and barrel nicely. This 14.5 upper with a Faxon Gunner barrel weighs less than my 10.5" and 12.5" uppers outfitted with optics and lights.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top