Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So we're allowing this crap in tech now? I have a scope that has ears on it for mounting a red dot. At point shooting distance a red dot isn't slower than a scope. At longer ranges a red dot isn't more precise than an optic. At likely engagement distances the red dot is the perfect tool for being fastest on target. The Aimpoint is one of the best red dots available.

I am stating the obvious so that a visitor doesn't wander in and think it's a clusterf@&$ of opinions. This guy is here to damage the value of the forum to visitors new to the shooting community and moderators need to be a little faster to deal with this.
View Quote
It would do the shooting community wonders to break free from the idiotic red dot fad. Most professional shooters don't used red dots, they use either irons or scopes. It's the amateur shooting community who follow this fad like lemmings. And why? Because the army issues Aimpoints. Not realizing that the only reason the army does this is because red dots are the cheapest shit they can get for their troops. Aimpoint then inflates the prices for consumers and laughs all the way to the bank.

Open your brains and think for a second. You guys are spending the same amount of money that could buy a state of the art scope, on a red dot!
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Red dot fad is coming to an end. I recommend you look at real etched reticle optics, like ACOGS and scopes, or maybe the dual illuminated RMRs.
View Quote
If you would go ahead and stop shitposting retarded nonsense all over the internet, that'd be great.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

THIS is why I'm looking at them.
I just am not sure that the Leupold VX6 1-6X24 is bright enough to function as a red dot for me. (The only reason that I'm interested in the 1-6 in the first place is that it's lighter than having a 3X magnifier).
View Quote
I can't tell you on the VX6, the new HD version is on my short list for a Recce type build I'm 90% finished with. I personally don't depend on the short battery life most LPV's have for PD/HD. If I had to choose variable vs. red dot for serious work, not gun games and target shooting, 3.5x ACOG gets the nod. A little of both, but not the best of either.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It would do the shooting community wonders to break free from the idiotic red dot fad. Most professional shooters don't used red dots, they use either irons or scopes. It's the amateur shooting community who follow this fad like lemmings. And why? Because the army issues Aimpoints. Not realizing that the only reason the army does this is because red dots are the cheapest shit they can get for their troops. Aimpoint then inflates the prices for consumers and laughs all the way to the bank.

Open your brains and think for a second. You guys are spending the same amount of money that could buy a state of the art scope, on a red dot!
View Quote
Sorry dude, not buying it. You can look at all the issued equipment and figure out pretty quick that serious door kickers have been using red dots for some time, effectively. Even with purpose built, issued rifles with LPV/HPV optics, you often see top or angle mounted Trijicon, j point, doctor, leupold, etc.... If you seriously believe that backup red dot ain't for 0-50/100 yards, you need to open your eyes.
Magnified optics aren't the end all, be all solution.

And to add a small point, etched reticle for battery failure isn't a fair argument against red dots, co-witnessed Buis are a necessity.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You don't value the contribution of no bullshit common sense and logic?
View Quote
Sure, when it comes from a credible source.  The Comp M2 is still very much viable and relevant in the shooting community today.  Buy without regret.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sorry dude, not buying it. You can look at all the issued equipment and figure out pretty quick that serious door kickers have been using red dots for some time, effectively. Even with purpose built, issued rifles with LPV/HPV optics, you often see top or angle mounted Trijicon, j point, doctor, leupold, etc.... If you seriously believe that backup red dot ain't for 0-50/100 yards, you need to open your eyes.

And to add a small point, etched reticle for battery failure isn't a fair argument against red dots, co-witnessed Buis are a necessity.
View Quote
Serious door kickers point and shoot. They don't aim. Why the hell would anyone use a red dot for shooting within room distance? Troops in combat point and shoot, end of story.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I can't tell you on the VX6, the new HD version is on my short list for a Recce type build I'm 90% finished with. I personally don't depend on the short battery life most LPV's have for PD/HD. If I had to choose variable vs. red dot for serious work, not gun games and target shooting, 3.5x ACOG gets the nod. A little of both, but not the best of either.
View Quote
I'm with Jupiter on this one.  
M4S is anything but obsolete, and if you're not using your sight, even at close range, both eyes open, you're nuts, unless IR laser and NV or grenades.
Yes, the Aimpoint takes a battery, and you take food and water, a singe AA bat every couple of years ain't too much to ask of the supply chain.
But I do use 3X Aimpoint (there's that dirty word again) magnifiers, but they're not usually on the gun (although they make a good grip under the rail if you like forward grips).
TA11 3.5X ACOG is superb on anything longer than a SBR (at least for me).  If you need more mag, you do have your 10X42 binoculars, don't you?
Best not to take that 650 meter shot, if you don't think you can make it.
The low powered variables just don't do it for me, poor eye box, pitiful in low light, short battery life which don't matter anyway because they aren't bright enough.
But most importantly, they are way slower than an Aimpoint at close ranges.  Some shooters adapt well, others (like me) do way better with a BAC ACOG.
Your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm glad that this discussion is turning around and more people are recommending scopes, as they should. But red dot for home defense is beyond retarded. You're going to actually aim at room distances? Anyone aiming at room distances should go out and shoot more for practice. At room distances you point and shoot. I've talked with countless soldiers, no one aims with their stupid red dots while clearing rooms in combat. This method is too slow. Within any room distance, soldiers simply point and shoot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can totally believe this is true, for me when using it at 1x inside of a house it makes my FOV feel claustrophobic if that makes sense. At this point truth be told the only reason I have a red dot sight is for HD. 
I'm glad that this discussion is turning around and more people are recommending scopes, as they should. But red dot for home defense is beyond retarded. You're going to actually aim at room distances? Anyone aiming at room distances should go out and shoot more for practice. At room distances you point and shoot. I've talked with countless soldiers, no one aims with their stupid red dots while clearing rooms in combat. This method is too slow. Within any room distance, soldiers simply point and shoot.
They probably don't ID targets either.  Who has time for that.

Your posts in Tech are comedic.  You imply people are room clearing in HD scenarios.  Are they kicking their own doors down too?  Maybe flashbang the kids' rooms before hipfiring through drywall?  

RDS are fast, allow for low visibility shooting, at a lower weight.  

Your comments around Aimpoint being bad and RDS's being "beyond retarded" for use cases show how backwards you are...

Take the curtain down and post some videos of you shooting.  We'd love to see how pros are doing it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think anyone considering going down the red dot route should read that big thread from Green Eye Tactical (Do Pushups) regarding the parallax testing. It may or may not matter to you depending on your style of shooting.
View Quote
He still hasn't posted results.  We're in speculation mode until he does.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:27:32 PM EDT
[#10]
My Comp ML2 still hits where I point it.  It hasn't been off the rifle since the day I installed it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I may have missed it, but what LPV are you using? The K16i, Z6i, Razor HD2, and MK6 to a lesser extent all pretty much just leave a floating reticle in your vision on 1x.
View Quote
VX6 from Leupold. I did have the Razor II but it added too much weight. I don't think I'll ever have the money for a Kahles. 
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Serious door kickers point and shoot. They don't aim. Why the hell would anyone use a red dot for shooting within room distance? Troops in combat point and shoot, end of story.
View Quote
Got any reputable sources for the validity of point shooting besides your claims? If you have reputable credentials feel free to post them. I don't claim to be high speed and I don't claim to be an expert I use what I like and what works for me. The couple times I've tried point shooting I didn't like my results. OP was looking for verification that the Comp M2 was good to go. 
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
You are wrong.

Tell us about YOUR PERSONAL combat experiences.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Untrained people spray and pray.  Trained shooters do not.  End of story.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:24:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you would go ahead and stop shitposting retarded nonsense all over the internet, that'd be great.
View Quote
Some people can't help but run off at the mouth. All this one does in every post.

I've got him on ignore and his retarded comments still muddy up the tech threads.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Red dot fad is coming to an end. I recommend you look at real etched reticle optics, like ACOGS and scopes, or maybe the dual illuminated RMRs.
View Quote

You're a funny guy.

There is an unreal amount of Derp in this thread, I hope its trolling

I have an M2 that's been used and abused for a while, Its well over 10 years old, can't tell a difference between it and the PRO.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm glad that this discussion is turning around and more people are recommending scopes, as they should.
View Quote
I wasn't recommending a scope, I said that I was going to pick one up because I have plenty of everything else..

that's not a "Ignore RDSs and buy a LPV Scope" recommendation.. it's a "I already have a couple of everything else, might as well round off the collection" statement.
I'm not on your side.. OP was right to look at a battle proven RDS for his only rifle.  NO WAY I'd put a LPV Scope on my rifle if I only had one of them..
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 6:49:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So we're allowing this crap in tech now? I have a scope that has ears on it for mounting a red dot. At point shooting distance a red dot isn't slower than a scope. At longer ranges a red dot isn't more precise than an optic. At likely engagement distances the red dot is the perfect tool for being fastest on target. The Aimpoint is one of the best red dots available.

I am stating the obvious so that a visitor doesn't wander in and think it's a clusterf@&$ of opinions. This guy is here to damage the value of the forum to visitors new to the shooting community and moderators need to be a little faster to deal with this.

We buy both. They both have their place. The army uses them because they work. It is easier to train and increases combat effectiveness of the soldier. You also have it backwards, the army adopts what works from the civilian world. You are trying to argue that the army buys the cheapest shit but it costs enough to buy your favorite scope? I suppose you are the cross that a successful forum has to bear.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:39:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The absolute worst possible optic in a real SHTF scenario. An all battery powered red dot. I mean seriously?
View Quote
I just replaced a battery in an M68 that had been in there for a couple of years when I bought it - which was 8 years ago.

You're trolling.  You can't seriously be telling us that batteries are an issue for Aimpoints.

It's true that the lower priced red dot options are leaps and bounds better than they used to be, and there are a lot more options for high end 1x sights, but Aimpoint is still king of the heap.   $300-something for a new PRO is hard to beat.

I don't need a dot, or the irons, to hit a target across the room; the front sight base works well enough for that with practice.  But I'm sure as hell not going to point shoot half way across the yard (which is not some 40 foot wide suburban postage stamp), and the dot beats irons hands down in all sorts of ways.    Also very useful at the distances I may need to shoot at something out in the middle of nowhere.

My preference is actually for the 4 MOA dot over the 2 MOA dot; it's easier to use the larger dot for range estimation.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 3:11:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I just replaced a battery in an M68 that had been in there for a couple of years when I bought it - which was 8 years ago.

You're trolling.  You can't seriously be telling us that batteries are an issue for Aimpoints.

It's true that the lower priced red dot options are leaps and bounds better than they used to be, and there are a lot more options for high end 1x sights, but Aimpoint is still king of the heap.   $300-something for a new PRO is hard to beat.

I don't need a dot, or the irons, to hit a target across the room; the front sight base works well enough for that with practice.  But I'm sure as hell not going to point shoot half way across the yard (which is not some 40 foot wide suburban postage stamp), and the dot beats irons hands down in all sorts of ways.    Also very useful at the distances I may need to shoot at something out in the middle of nowhere.

My preference is actually for the 4 MOA dot over the 2 MOA dot; it's easier to use the larger dot for range estimation.
View Quote
I know a dot sure is easier for me to use in roll-over prone than irons are!
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.... Over

Anybody want to buy my ML3? After reading this thread I might just duct tape a paper towel roll to my upper and look through that to aim.... I don't want to be stuck on an old fad when I could be a 'real' non-aiming operator....
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Anybody want to buy my ML3? After reading this thread I might just duct tape a paper towel roll to my upper and look through that to aim.... I don't want to be stuck on an old fad when I could be a 'real' non-aiming operator....
View Quote
Or, for short range, use a toilet paper roll!
That and one of those "double fire" triggers!
FullAuto, I think you've got it!
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
No but you can give me that junky ML3 and I'll dispose of it for you. I'll even send you a nice roll of paper towels to make your next optic!
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
This may be the Most ignorant statement I have ever read on ARFCOM. Maybe?
cp
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Big fan of my Aimpoint Pro and H1. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon either. Don't care what some guy who can do more push-ups than me says, or what some internet operator thinks. They work and are very reliable. And also, not a whole lot of money. 
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Code: 14VPDT

gets you this: http://www.opticsplanet.com/aimpoint-pro-patrol-rifle-optic-red-dot-riflescope-30mm.html

for $389.

No affiliation.
View Quote
Very much appreciated. Thanks! I'll look at those guys in a month or so when I have the scratch saved up. Plus, there've been some pretty good deals on the EE from all those guys offloading those ML3's in favor of the paper towel rolls.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My Comp ML2 still hits where I point it.  It hasn't been off the rifle since the day I installed it.
View Quote
Ditto for me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:25:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
cp
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

cp
The guy has been trolling all over Optic forum. He called Vortex Razor scopes "on par with Nikons".

He's 100% 1trolling.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:27:07 PM EDT
[#31]
MARSOCs just a bunch of amateurs

Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wrong.

That's not how we trained or fought
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:23:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Wrong.

View Quote
He was asked to provide his credentials to prove there is a value to listen to his words or to give us hismbat experience and he hasn't been back since. He likes to point to Keanu Reeves as a "good" example of someone trained to fight. 
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:26:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
He was asked to provide his credentials to prove there is a value to listen to his words or to give us hismbat experience and he hasn't been back since. He likes to point to Keanu Reeves as a "good" example of someone trained to fight. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.

He's busy shitposting in the Trijicon/Vortex thread.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Jesus, why is this invictus dude not banned from this forum? His shitposting is going to confuse any newbies.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:04:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Jesus, why is this invictus dude not banned from this forum? His shitposting is going to confuse any newbies.
View Quote
Per the mod " everyone is titled to an opinion. That said, complaints are mounting and his case has been sent up to site staff".

His posts are good for one thing, stirring shit. Not one contribution of any technical merit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:06:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Per the mod " everyone is titled to an opinion. That said, complaints are mounting and his case has been sent up to site staff".

His posts are good for one thing, stirring shit. Not one contribution of any technical merit.
View Quote
I can think of 2 other users that can agree, every thread he posts in he causes the thread to veer way off the track. 
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:13:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Right. Because this is a dictatorship and all newbies must be preconditioned to like Vortex and BCM. The house brands. Like Lemmings. Any other suggestions or opinions must be banned. Sounds very much like the party who lost recently.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:17:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Hell, I still run a comp m on my m14 and would trust my life to it. A lot of people think they are for cqb only but I can hit center mass at 200 yards all day long with it. My go to today is usually the PRO, but anything with aimpoint on it is good to go.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:26:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Right. Because this is a dictatorship and all newbies must be preconditioned to like Vortex and BCM. The house brands. Like Lemmings. Any other suggestions or opinions must be banned. Sounds very much like the party who lost recently.
View Quote
Most of my rifles are Aero Precision, don't even have a BCM rifle, but I recognize their quality. Just don't like keymod. You sound like a rabid fanboy without any venue to accept opposing views. In all honesty, I'd go buy the advice of instructors like Vickers, Macnamara, Proctor, and Haley, over some dude that likes to trash other products on the internet based on "feels." Again, you're not offering anything constructive to the discussion here.

And it's laughable that you think point shooting is a viable tactic when you're defending your family. What happened to personal accountability for all your rounds? If you have proper technique, you should be seeing the dot on the target as you're focusing on it anyways. Nobody should be going John Wick in a HD scenario, it should be gathering everyone up and creating a choke point at a room with only one point of entry, while the cops arrive.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:28:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Just like the signs at the zoo....

Please do not feed the monkeys.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:28:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hell, I still run a comp m on my m14 and would trust my life to it. A lot of people think they are for cqb only but I can hit center mass at 200 yards all day long with it. My go to today is usually the PRO, but anything with aimpoint on it is good to go.
View Quote
When I had my X95, shooting an IPSC steel target at 200 with a RDS on a 50 yard zero was child's play.

Don't know anyone in CONUS that's going to realistically need to shoot 200+ yards for self defense(short of SHTF or TEOTWAWKI), but it is still a viable option nonetheless
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:30:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Just like the signs at the zoo....

Please do not feed the monkeys.
View Quote
Yeah, he's on my ignore list now. Not worth feeding the troll.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:42:22 AM EDT
[#44]
In response to the OPs original question, I think it's pretty clear that the AP CM 2 is a more than viable option now , as it was when introduced.  Maybe not preferred by all, but will still do the job it was intended to.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:48:19 AM EDT
[#45]
I love my Aimpoint PRO, but the mount is huge.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:59:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#47]
I have to get in on this...

I love variable powered optics especially VCOG for Afghanistan. Also ran MRDS on gun for anything under 100.

If I had to choose one optic for combat I would go variable powered optic since it can work both up close and extended ranges. BUT.... if it was primarily CQB
Say if I had to go back and retake Baghdad I would go Aimpoint, seeing farthest shot in city maybe 300m, average shot room distance to100m. My exeriance red dots faster and still better for CQB.

The main reason powered optics have taken over 3gun is the level of difficulty of the long range stages, to do well you need magnification. Matches where the longest shot under 100 red dot way to go.

Aimpoint Pro on my HD rifle.
Shit in fact I like the the Primary Arms micro dot also for a good red dot....I know blasphemy!
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I love variable powered optics especially VCOG for Afghanistan. Also ran MRDS on gun for anything under 100.

If I had to choose one optic for combat I would go variable powered optic since it can work both up close and extended ranges. BUT.... if it was primarily CQB
Say if I had to go back and retake Baghdad I would go Aimpoint, seeing farthest shot in city maybe 300m, average shot room distance to100m. My exeriance red dots faster and still better for CQB.

The main reason powered optics have taken over 3gun is the level of difficulty of the long range stages, to do well you need magnification. Matches where the longest shot under 100 red dot way to go.

Shit in fact I like the the Primary Arms micro dot also for a good red dot....I know blasphemy!
View Quote
My experience in training and deployments is MOUT, MOUT, and jungles. If I went to afganistan I would definitely if wanted more Xs.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So I am not alone? ^^
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everything you post is of such high quality and always contributes greatly to every thread. 
So I am not alone? ^^
You are not.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have you experienced any of the mentioned diopter issues mentioned where focus is good at 1x but sucks at 6x when magnified? 
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top