BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/17/2017 9:19:07 AM EDT
Anyone regret getting a TA31?  Who has both TA11 and TA31--is the TA31 just as effective if you move your head back and have a smaller image?  LED ACOGs, only 5 year warranty on electronics, this is what I initially wanted but question that compared to the 15 year dual-illuminated tritium warranty.  ACOG has always kind of been a dream optic for me--so I'm ready to pull the trigger so to speak.  If I use it on a carbine upper with FSB will the 3.5 or 4.0 show the sight block?

Use will be on a 16" carbine and maybe a little time on a 20" A1.  Long Range Shooting out to 700/800, some 3 gun, and maybe a carbine class.

What do you all think?

Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I just bought a TA33 Green Horseshoe 5.56 on the EE.

Big eye box and super light. IMO it's the best compromise.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Bought my first last year. Went with tried and true 31.

I shoot NTCH with an A1 stock. No eye relief issues here.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Your gonna need some 1x magnification for 3 gun and carbine classes. If your not adding an RMR or something, then I would say that a variable optic with 1x is best for your intended purpose.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:02:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your gonna need some 1x magnification for 3 gun and carbine classes. If your not adding an RMR or something, then I would say that a variable optic with 1x is best for your intended purpose.
View Quote
I'm not against adding an RMR or offset irons.  I have some M2s I use for 1X--I looked hard at the razor Gen II 1-6 in the store and I don't like the view at 1X--makes me feel kind of sick looking through it both eyes open.  Thanks for the feedback.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Bought my first last year. Went with tried and true 31.

I shoot NTCH with an A1 stock. No eye relief issues here.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was watching that sale.  Let me know how it works out!
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:19:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a TA31 with crosshair. was worried about not liking eye relief but its not been an issue.
I'm glad i bought it, it's nice. makes shooting easier.

this is how i use it. height over bore hasnt been an issue.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
The TA33 is my favorite ACOG of all time.  I like the TA31 but I am thinking of selling it and buying another TA33.  My second favorite ACOG is the TA44s.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The TA33 is my favorite ACOG of all time.  I like the TA31 but I am thinking of selling it and buying another TA33.  My second favorite ACOG is the TA44s.
View Quote
So the 31 is your least favourite then?  What type of shooting do you do mostly?  Run and gun? 3-gun?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I leaned heavily toward the TA44 for a long time. I decided that I needed more mag. I figure if I decide I need a 44, someone will trade me or buy my 33.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you shoot NTCH? If so, get the 31. If not, you'll hate it and long for the 11/33. I have all three, all three are great optics, but each have their respective strengths and weaknesses.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do you shoot NTCH? If so, get the 31. If not, you'll hate it and long for the 11/33. I have all three, all three are great optics, but each have their respective strengths and weaknesses.
View Quote
I would if I moved it to A1/A2 or carry handle and TA11 doesn't work so well from carry handle.  Perhaps that makes the decision for me.

Thanks to everyone so far for the feedback..

Anyone else have opinions/feedback to share?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I like my 01NSN. I shoot NTCH so the eyebox doesn't bother me. The backup irons are alright, but I would swap them for a RMR if I did 3 gun. The high mounting for the backup doesn't bother me either. I use a B5 sopmod and you just put your chin where your cheek usually goes and everything's good. You can mount the 01/31 further back on the flattop if you don't have a rail mounted BUIS. So there is a little wiggle room for non-NTCH users. Just my $0.02. Hope it helps.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I also have to vote for a ta33.  I traded my ta01nsn for my ta33.   Much better eye relief for me and like has been mentioned the eye box is also much larger.   I also picked up a rmr to through on top.  I was not for sure how I would like the rmr, but so far it is pretty nice.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#15]
The ONLY downside I can come up with to the TA31 is eye relief. And its really not even that bad. Just not "perfect"

The TA33 is known for much better eye relief tho if you want to go that route. LED ACOG is meh. You get the good glass but fiber optic/tritium or at least tritium period (TA01) for the win.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I also have to vote for a ta33.  I traded my ta01nsn for my ta33.   Much better eye relief for me and like has been mentioned the eye box is also much larger.   I also picked up a rmr to through on top.  I was not for sure how I would like the rmr, but so far it is pretty nice.
View Quote
Are you using the trijicon rmr mount? I'd it holding zero?  I have read some horror stories.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I have owned a
Ta01 NSN
TA31 red doughnut
Ta31 red crosshair
TA33 red horse shoe
And
TA33 green crosshair

My take is that ACOGs are fundamentally flawed in that the illumination needed to use BAC is not reliable in varring lighting conditions.
Whe the reticle is lit they are very quick even at short distances. When you have to strugle to find the reticle they are slow.  This can be overcome to some degree with a heavy crosshair reticle because the thick black bars are more visible than a blacked out horseshoe or chevron.

Also green is visable in more adverse light than red but still blacks out.

The eye relief on the 4x does not bother me on a 5.56. On a 6.8 in knocks my head.  The short eye relief is a fair trade to me for the magnificently wide field of view.

I find the narrow fov on the 33 to be disappointing in comparison. And yes I keep both eyes open and look around the optic.

My latest purchase is a Browe bto. It's basically a ta31 with better glass and a battery powered reticle that auto adjusts.

I have a very limited number of rounds down range with it but it appears it is going fix the ta31s illumination problems.   So far I like it very much.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I have owned a
Ta01 NSN
TA31 red doughnut
Ta31 red crosshair
TA33 red horse shoe
And
TA33 green crosshair

My take is that ACOGs are fundamentally flawed in that the illumination needed to use BAC is not reliable in varring lighting conditions.
Whe the reticle is lit they are very quick even at short distances. When you have to strugle to find the reticle they are slow.  This can be overcome to some degree with a heavy crosshair reticle because the thick black bars are more visible than a blacked out horseshoe or chevron.

The eye relief on the 4x does not bother me on a 5.56. On a 6.8 in knocks my head.  The short eye relief is a fair trade to me for the magnificently wide field of view.

I find the narrow fov on the 33 to be disappointing in comparison. And yes I keep both eyes open and look around the optic.

My latest purchase is a Browe bto. It's basically a ta31 with better glass and a battery powered reticle that auto adjusts.

I have a very limited number of rounds down range with it but it appears it is going fix the ta31s illumination problems.   So far I like it very much.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:55:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Are you using the trijicon rmr mount? I'd it holding zero?  I have read some horror stories.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes I am.  I have limited time with an rmr mounted but so far it seems to be ok.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I vote for the TA31 with chevron. I shoot almost NTCH and eye relief has never been a problem. Once I got used to the light weight, small size and the wide field of view everything else felt wrong. Ironically I just sold it in the EE to fund a TA11 with .308 reticle which is more suited to my SCAR 17.  I can't afford two ACOGs now but I will get another TA31F again.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:30:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have owned a
Ta01 NSN
TA31 red doughnut
Ta31 red crosshair
TA33 red horse shoe
And
TA33 green crosshair

View Quote
I had a 7.62x39 Browe (sold it and then the Sig it was on when Sig quit supporting the rifle), Browe's glass is f@&$ing amazing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I had a 7.62x39 Browe (sold it and then the Sig it was on when Sig quit supporting the rifle), Browe's glass is f@&$ing amazing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have owned a
Ta01 NSN
TA31 red doughnut
Ta31 red crosshair
TA33 red horse shoe
And
TA33 green crosshair

Would you say its better than the Elcan Specter's glass? I haven't gotten the opportunity to look through one yet unfortunately
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:16:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I have owned the 11, 31 and 33 and by far my favorite is the 11...excellent eye relief, 3.5X, 10:1 obj/mag ratio, very bright optic...

You can't go wrong with the 11.  IMO, the ACOGs have some of the best glass available.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have owned the 11, 31 and 33 and by far my favorite is the 11...excellent eye relief, 3.5X, 10:1 obj/mag ratio, very bright optic...

You can't go wrong with the 11.  IMO, the ACOGs have some of the best glass available.
View Quote
The 11 is a badass optic. I see why it was so popular in 3-gun in the years prior to the rise of 1-N scopes. I prefer the 31 for AR's as I've always shot NTCH, but I love the 11 on non-AR rifles like my Scar 17.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:09:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I thought about getting a Swiss 553r in 7.62x39 and getting a 7.62x39 Browe and ditching that ak side mount. Is that what you did? What mount did you use ? How did it work ?  Looks like you could get the optic down nice and low.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes I am.  I have limited time with an rmr mounted but so far it seems to be ok.
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 3:15:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

NTCH, no issues
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Great looking rifle!
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I had a TA11. If I dod it again I'd get the 31
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Between those two, TA11. I love my TA33 and think it's the best all around ACOG. It's stupid easy to shoot close with it. Some don't like the small fov of the TA33 and prefer the large fov of the TA31. To best describe this, you either are looking through your optic for your next target (TA31 has huge fov so you can see more) or looking around your optic with your eyes (TA33 takes up less fov).

The best way to mimic this if you have access to two red dots, full size and micro, is placing a full size red dot where the rear is at the charging handle and placing a micro red dot at the front of the rail. Now first test is looking through both optics with one eye closed transitioning target to target. You will see alot more with the full size. Now do the same thing with both eyes open. How much more of your surroundings can you see with the micro obstructing less fov? This is a similar comparison to the TA33 vs the TA31.

I run my TA33 much farther forward like a micro red dot because the eye box is huge and useable eye relief is about 4.5". I can transition from target to target very fast. Some people prefer looking through the optic. It's all personal preference. I brought this up since the TA33 was recommended.

The TA11 will be somewhere in between although it is larger than both of them with eye relief and eye box somewhere in the middle of the TA33 and TA31.

If you're going to be shooting out to 7-800 yards you might be better off with a variable optic with more magnification on the top end like a 1-6.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#31]
TA11 or TA33 if you are doing any fast moving and shooting, the eye relief is so much more forgiving.   I would do a TA31 on a DMR type gun.

The TA11 has great eye relief and a huge field of view, the TA33 has a tiny field of view and about the same eye relief, which lends it very well to BAC shooting, until you need to close your left eye and make a longer shot.  You won't spend a lot of time looking thru a TA33 observing targets at range, due to its tiny field of view.

For a lightweight 16" gun I'd say the TA33 is nearly perfect.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Just mounted my first one on a rifle. I went with a 31 from Primary Arms with the ACSS reticle. Will update when I get to shoot it but the glass is amazing and I love the ACSS on my 1x6.

BTW service from Primary arms is AWESOME!
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I thought about getting a Swiss 553r in 7.62x39 and getting a 7.62x39 Browe and ditching that ak side mount. Is that what you did? What mount did you use ? How did it work ?  Looks like you could get the optic down nice and low.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went with the BoBro mount. I had a Sig 556R, but bailed when Sig bailed on me.

I would trust my life to a Swiss Sig though.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 11:53:02 PM EDT
[#34]
If BAC works for you it's hard not to like a TA11C.

Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:02:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a TA31f , TA11, and aTA33. The TA33 is my favorite of the 3 and the TA31 is my least favorite. Between the two that the op are looking at though I prefer the TA11.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks again for all the replies folks!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Ta31 for me. The field of view can't be beaten. Plus I think they look the coolest too!
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree. TA11 is the best ACOG in terms of eye relief, field of view and picture quality.

You do pay a weight penalty.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I started with the red donut, my least favorite reticle. Used the "J" crosshair reticle for a while and it's OK but I think I prefer the horshoe these days. It's fast like a red dot but also has some precision with the 2moa dot.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#41]
I think pretty much everything that can be said has been said!

TA33 = great eye relief, horrible FOV, super light weight.
TA11 = great eye relief, pretty good FOV, super heavy (compared to others).
TA31 = bad eye relief, amazing FOV, light weight.

Reticle style/caliber/color are whatever floats your boat. Between 3x to 4x magnification I don't believe you're gaining or losing enough vs the other considerations mentioned above.

I personally have a TA31F and I love it. I shoot NTCH (kinda have to with the TA31) and I wear eyeglasses. I simply added Trijicon's own rubber eyepiece to it and I no longer mind the occasional "tap" on my eyeglasses.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Now come on you guys, there is like 4oz of extra weight on a TA11C vs a TA31.
That's 4 ounces, not 4 pounds!
LOL

You are right, if you wear eyeglasses and that TA31 isn't tapping them every now and then, you are not shooting fast enough.
The TA31 does give an amazing mix of positives if you can deal with the tight eye relief, plus BAC with it is just as good as the TA11
with the possible exception (in my case only, low phoria) of the massive TA55 (26+ oz), I can just rock BAC with it even though it's 5.5X.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I think pretty much everything that can be said has been said!

TA33 = great eye relief, horrible FOV, super light weight.
TA11 = great eye relief, pretty good FOV, super heavy (compared to others).
TA31 = bad eye relief, amazing FOV, light weight.

Reticle style/caliber/color are whatever floats your boat. Between 3x to 4x magnification I don't believe you're gaining or losing enough vs the other considerations mentioned above.

I personally have a TA31F and I love it. I shoot NTCH (kinda have to with the TA31) and I wear eyeglasses. I simply added Trijicon's own rubber eyepiece to it and I no longer mind the occasional "tap" on my eyeglasses.
View Quote
Just got my TA33 in.

Woof. The FOV is TINY! It's super clear, super bright image and super light. That FOV tho. .  Maybe I can get it sighted in this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Just got my TA33 in.

Woof. The FOV is TINY! It's super clear, super bright image and super light. That FOV tho. .  Maybe I can get it sighted in this weekend.
View Quote
Nice!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Work on shooting with both eyes open and the BAC. Also make sure to position the scope on your upper to help facilitate that. While this does not work for everyone, it does for most.

Without it, you'll be stuck with the FOV of a straw you have experienced so far. With it, the TA33 is an amazing optic.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Now come on you guys, there is like 4oz of extra weight on a TA11C vs a TA31.
That's 4 ounces, not 4 pounds!
LOL

You are right, if you wear eyeglasses and that TA31 isn't tapping them every now and then, you are not shooting fast enough.
The TA31 does give an amazing mix of positives if you can deal with the tight eye relief, plus BAC with it is just as good as the TA11
with the possible exception (in my case only, low phoria) of the massive TA55 (26+ oz), I can just rock BAC with it even though it's 5.5X.
View Quote
It's a shame the TA55 is such a big bitch, aside from that it's an awesome ACOG in every way. I've owned two now, and regretted selling them both times. Sooner or later I'll put one on a DMR build.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:13:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It's a shame the TA55 is such a big bitch, aside from that it's an awesome ACOG in every way. I've owned two now, and regretted selling them both times. Sooner or later I'll put one on a DMR build.
View Quote
And low light use is fantastic, it's literally unmatched in this arena.
Brightness, contrast, definition, color, all terrific.
A lot of shooters put their scope at 5.5X thinking it will give them an idea of what it's like, WRONG!
I am one of the lucky shooters with near zero phobia, despite aging eyes, past 20 meters it's as fast/accurate as Aimpoint's M4S for me.
The extremely bright image blurs super fast when you pan the rifle, giving OEG performance with both eyes open for BAC at close range.
A far better shooter (combat veteran) than me with much TA31 experience did a comparison with my NSX at 5.5X vs the TA55.
Multiple targets were at various distances out to 100+ meters, and despite the fact that he used the ACOG first and thus learned target locations
giving an unfair advantage to the Nightforce, the contest wasn't even close.  Even he was surprised.

If BAC works for you, buy an ACOG, if not, buy something else.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#48]
The field of view and clarity on the TA31 is what always made ACOGs amazing to me. Amazing glass... yes the eye relief is short but it really is manageable once you get used to it. Well worth that incredible view in my opinion. I ran a TA31F in Iraq and bought one when I got back for my repro m4gery build, love that thing. Even after a lot of trigger time though it is slower than a red dot inside of 25 yards or so. I still run aimpoints on up close and personal type rifles.

Last year I bought a TA33 after reading (mainly on this board) about how fast and great they are. What a tiny field of view... probably overall a great optic but it wasn't for me and I flipped it after a couple of range trips (yes I ran it both eyes open which is primarily how I shoot all optics). It just didn't have the same wow factor as the 31, at all. The analogy of looking through a straw was spot on.

I've looked through a TA11 and was not all that impressed. It limits the field of view, albeit less than the 33, in exchange for some eye relief. As someone who doesn't object all that much to the 31 eye relief and loves the FOV, it's not a trade off I would make. Especially with the added size / weight.

I just ordered a TA01NSN to play with, which is the same field of view / eye relief / etc as the 31. I suspect I will be quite happy with it...
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Work on shooting with both eyes open and the BAC. Also make sure to position the scope on your upper to help facilitate that. While this does not work for everyone, it does for most.

Without it, you'll be stuck with the FOV of a straw you have experienced so far. With it, the TA33 is an amazing optic.
View Quote
Truth this.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The field of view and clarity on the TA31 is what always made ACOGs amazing to me. Amazing glass... yes the eye relief is short but it really is manageable once you get used to it. Well worth that incredible view in my opinion. I ran a TA31F in Iraq and bought one when I got back for my repro m4gery build, love that thing. Even after a lot of trigger time though it is slower than a red dot inside of 25 yards or so. I still run aimpoints on up close and personal type rifles.

I've looked through a TA11 and was not all that impressed. It limits the field of view, albeit less than the 33, in exchange for some eye relief. As someone who doesn't object all that much to the 31 eye relief and loves the FOV, it's not a trade off I would make. Especially with the added size / weight.

I just ordered a TA01NSN to play with, which is the same field of view / eye relief / etc as the 31. I suspect I will be quite happy with it...
View Quote
You will love the TA01NSN, it's a fantastic ACOG.
If you get the chance, shoot with a TA11, I felt the same way as you until I ran one at the range.
An added plus on the TA11C, it's BDC matches MK262 out of a 16" Recon flattop flawlessly. Plus I love the Donut of Death.
It's to me more "comfortable" than the TA31, not better except maybe in low light and then a marginal difference at best.
The 55 is the most "fun" even though it is porkulus on steroids.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top