Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2017 11:41:45 AM EDT
I'm a fixed iron sight lover.  I use them far and away more than optics.  That's not to say I don't appreciate optics and the advantages they bring, I just enjoy the simplicity, robustness and light weight of iron sights.

As I began planning to put a magnified optic on an AR, I was initially defaulting to a troy BUIS or equivalent flip-up.  You know... for no other reason than I have seen others do it for years.  Then I got to thinking...

The actual odds of the optic failing are probably pretty slim.  Furthermore, I already have some LT103s lying around.  So my new plan is to forgo the flip-up rear, zero the LT103 instead, remove it and reattach it under the rail near the mag well where it will be out of the way but easily accessible.  In a pinch, I could dump the QD scope and throw the LT103 on.  Hell, I could even swap back and forth if the mood strikes me.

Not as fast to deploy as a flip up BUIS but certainly sturdier. I guess my plan would be to either make the switch behind cover or shoot overtop of my scope as an emergency stopgap to get myself to cover.

Does anyone else keep a fixed backup instead of a flip-up? In going back and re-reading the POU for the LT103 this seems like it is right along the lines it was designed for.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:43:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Someone might, but it sure isn't me. Seems like a pretty bad idea to be honest.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Personally I would just get a flip up. But military folks have done what you want to do for a long time with the M16A4 and carry handle. I'm sure someone will post a Marine with a carry handle on his rails somewhere out of the way running an ACOG or something.

Another option would be 45 degree fixed BUIS.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Someone might, but it sure isn't me. Seems like a pretty bad idea to be honest.
View Quote

To each their own.  I understand the reluctance.  I am less reluctant because I have seen a ton of men carrying rifles over a period of many years in lots of different situations and the number of times I have seen backup iron sights deployed is zero.  Doesn't mean it doesn't happen of course, just that I believe it is a rare occurrence.  Furthermore, as previously stated I am not going to be dumping an optic out for a BUIS unless I am behind cover.  I have already played with the sight moving back and forth between the underside of the rail and the flat top.  The QD lever makes it pretty snappy and I am comfortable with the POU.

However, each person needs to do what gives them peace of mind.  If it seems like a bad idea to you and makes you uncomfortable, I'm not trying to sell you on the concept.  You must do what you think is right, of course.  I'm just seeing if there are any others on here who might do something similar.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it makes a lot of sense. What would it take? Two extra seconds to pop it off the bottom and on the top?

It's not as though removing a QD scope is instantaneous, like cowitnessed BUIS are. And it certainly makes more sense than all the people running a fixed scope mount with BUIS trapped underneath

Eta - you may even be able to run it farther out, as a handstop
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think it makes a lot of sense. What would it take? Two extra seconds to pop it off the bottom and on the top?

It's not as though removing a QD scope is instantaneous, like cowitnessed BUIS are. And it certainly makes more sense than all the people running a fixed scope mount with BUIS trapped underneath

Eta - you may even be able to run it farther out, as a handstop
View Quote

I definitely considered running it as a handstop or even as a stubby vertical foregrip.  As I thought about it, I became concerned that the further out on the rail I pushed it, the more it would bang into stuff and potentially lose zero.  Underside and near the magwell places it in a position where it is less likely to be banged around or snagged on things.

This could just be my OCD though.  I have no information which would suggest the sight would lose zero.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:29:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't see how this has any advantage over running a quality flip-up BUIS. In fact, I feel like it over-complicates things because you add a few steps as opposed to simply flipping up the BUIS.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't see how this has any advantage over running a quality flip-up BUIS. In fact, I feel like it over-complicates things because you add a few steps as opposed to simply flipping up the BUIS.
View Quote

I consider the LT104 to be more sturdy and durable than a flip-up.  To me personally, that is an advantage and satisfies my preference for fixed sights in the highly unlikely event the magnified optic ever fails.  If that doesn't meet with your particular POU, no problem.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#9]
At 6:30 he talks about this.   But it's good to watch the whole thing if you don't know his background.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NPbpNX406U
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#10]
No buis for me.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:44:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:12:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top