BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/31/2016 12:28:11 AM EDT
I just saw on their website they have announced the new lineup, I was interested in the 1-6 until I saw the weight of 22+ oz.  Has anyone heard if the glass or illumination has been upgraded? I currently own a pst 1-4 that works great for me, the only thing I would change is brighter illumination so I can use it like a red dot. The 1-6 turrets look very similar to the Razor 2, it's a bit longer and lighter though.

I also noticed they added a 5-25 that may be decent on a long range optic, it has a reticle similar to the Razor 4.5-27 which is nice along with being ffp. I would be on list for the 1-6 if it was 4 oz lighter, but if it's daylight bright like the razor and has as good or better glass as the original pst I may have to fo.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 12:36:56 AM EDT
[#1]
The HD glass in my Viper 6X binocs is outstanding.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:00:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Gen 2 turrets are going to be like the razor HD gen 2 turrets, and glass is supposed to be better. From what I've heard.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm excited about the gen 2 pst. I need something to replace my vxr patrol.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 5:33:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just saw on their website they have announced the new lineup, I was interested in the 1-6 until I saw the weight of 22+ oz.  Has anyone heard if the glass or illumination has been upgraded? I currently own a pst 1-4 that works great for me, the only thing I would change is brighter illumination so I can use it like a red dot. The 1-6 turrets look very similar to the Razor 2, it's a bit longer and lighter though.

I also noticed they added a 5-25 that may be decent on a long range optic, it has a reticle similar to the Razor 4.5-27 which is nice along with being ffp. I would be on list for the 1-6 if it was 4 oz lighter, but if it's daylight bright like the razor and has as good or better glass as the original pst I may have to fo.
View Quote

When Vortex discontinued the 2.5-10x32 FFP, everyone figured that something better was coming since it was a big hit for Vortex. I figured I'd hold off on the 2.5-10x32 FFP and wait and see what Vortex had up its sleeve.

When I saw that the new Gen II 2-10x32 FFP weighs 26.3 oz, I went ahead and grabbed a Gen I before they are all gone. The first generation weighs 18.7, which is already pushing it. That extra .5 magnification on the low end isn't worth the extra half pound to me. The Gen II may ultimately have better glass, but it is still way too heavy. The Gen II also has significantly worse eye relief at 3.2" versus 4" in the Gen I. Now I'm sure the FOV is better on the Gen II, but these old eyes can't deal with critical eye relief anymore. It looks like Vortex wants to compete with Sig Sauer to build the heaviest scopes imaginable.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I plan on getting one of these.  What mount would be good to go with it?
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Razor gen ii glass is sharper.

Almost a heads up display like the Razor gen ii

Same illumination as the Razor gen ii, sonit's daylight bright. Illumination turret is not a pull out to adjust/push in to lock though.

All that info came from Sam on the other thread.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/707622_Viper-pst-1-6.html
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#7]
The 1-6 PST II similarities with the Razor Gen II seem too close for comfort.  I wonder if there is a spotlight product that will revealed at SHOT to supersede the Razor 1-6?  A 1-8 Razor perhaps?
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:01:14 PM EDT
[#8]
The PST Gen 2's are a lot more similar to the Razor Gen 1. They are using HD glass, and I would not be at all surprised if it is the same glass used in the Razor Gen 1's. The illumination on the  PST 1-6 is quite similar to that of the Razor 1-6 as well.

Anyhow, I have a couple of them on order and can't wait to get them mounted and in use so I can really evaluate. I am pretty excited and by the sounds of the upgrades it I think Vortex is hitting a home run with these.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:17:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Wish the 1-6x wasn't so damn heavy.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This, if it was in the 16-18 oz range id buy two. I am interested in the 5-25 FFP model though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Ive got a 3-18 on order with my local shop.  The G2 PST line is pretty damn fantastic. Dont discount the diamonback new releases also would be great for a 22 trainer.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

When Vortex discontinued the 2.5-10x32 FFP, everyone figured that something better was coming since it was a big hit for Vortex. I figured I'd hold off on the 2.5-10x32 FFP and wait and see what Vortex had up its sleeve.

When I saw that the new Gen II 2-10x32 FFP weighs 26.3 oz, I went ahead and grabbed a Gen I before they are all gone. The first generation weighs 18.7, which is already pushing it. That extra .5 magnification on the low end isn't worth the extra half pound to me. The Gen II may ultimately have better glass, but it is still way too heavy. The Gen II also has significantly worse eye relief at 3.2" versus 4" in the Gen I. Now I'm sure the FOV is better on the Gen II, but these old eyes can't deal with critical eye relief anymore. It looks like Vortex wants to compete with Sig Sauer to build the heaviest scopes imaginable.
View Quote

I bought one of the last Gen 1 2.5-10X32's floating around, then two weeks later the 2's came out. But yes then I saw that apparently it's a good 1/2lb heavier, and the old one wasn't exactly light. I'm glad I got the one I did, I'm not sure what level of improvement is to be had, but I don't know it's worth an almost 50% weight increase.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm definitely buying a 1-6 with an moa reticle and an aero precision mount. Is anyone besides opticsplanet taking pre-orders?
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Just saw their video on FB. The 1-6x PST looks like the Gen II Razor's twin brother. You can't tell the difference between them outside of the color.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm curious how the gen 2 pst 5-25 compares to the gen 1 razor hd. Amount of elevation is different and eye relief is different for sure but I'm wondering, in real world use, if there significant glass difference between them. Make sure you guys post reviews when you get them in
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I read a fb comment from Vortex that the PST gen 2 1-6 has the same illumination as the 1-6 Razor gen 2.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I read a fb comment from Vortex that the PST gen 2 1-6 has the same illumination as the 1-6 Razor gen 2.
View Quote

I would wager the next time they intend to update the Razor they will make a 1-8
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm definitely buying a 1-6 with an moa reticle and an aero precision mount. Is anyone besides opticsplanet taking pre-orders?
View Quote
 I pre-ordered a MRAD scope with a -5 switch view lever and a vortex cantilever mount from Optics planet. The website says it will ship in 2-3 weeks but I'm not in a hurry. I've got buis if my suppressor gets out if jail/ the HPA passes before I get the scope. 
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:15:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad I got one of the non illuminated ones from Cabela's for 360

Great scope
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#20]
The trend in glass getting heavier is annoying. The new PST 1-6 is probably a Razor Gen 1 rebranded.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The trend in glass getting heavier is annoying. The new PST 1-6 is probably a Razor Gen 1 rebranded.
View Quote
The original Razors were 1-4 and 5-20.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:54:07 PM EDT
[#22]
First look:

Getting Started in 3 Gun; First Look; Vortex Viper PST GEN II 1-6 x 24
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:00:28 PM EDT
[#23]
That video answers a lot of questions.  I'm glad they were able to partially replicate the ocular experience of the Razor.  It sounds like the Viper line, true to form, will be the sweet spot for price/performance.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#24]
the kahles ki6 is lighter and has A lot better glass to me anyway
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

And orders of magnitude more expensive.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 12:27:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, you pay a lot more to have a lighter 1-6. Hell the Leupold vx6 HD 1-6 is around 15 oz but not daylight bright and not what some people would consider reasonably priced. There are pros and cons for any 1-6 scope, even the high dollar ones.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 12:34:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Personally, I think Vortex is going to sell many of these scopes. For $700'ish, you're getting 90%+ of the Razor Gen II 1-6x.
Heckuva deal.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#28]
What am I getting with this scope I don't get from Primary Arms 1-8x (non platinum) that justifies about $325 more in price?
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What am I getting with this scope I don't get from Primary Arms 1-8x (non platinum) that justifies about $325 more in price?
View Quote

More than likely glass quality and the overall quality of the unit itself.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Exactly, you pay a lot more to have a lighter 1-6. Hell the Leupold vx6 HD 1-6 is around 15 oz but not daylight bright and not what some people would consider reasonably priced. There are pros and cons for any 1-6 scope, even the high dollar ones.
View Quote

Have you used the VX6? Mine is daylight bright. 
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol. Much better glass and illumination. Probably field of view on 1x too. 
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Lol. Much better glass and illumination. Probably field of view on 1x too. 
View Quote

Ok. Fair enough but am I going to miss it punching paper out to 200 yard, plinking less than 100 and occasionally trying to ring steel at 500?
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Ok. Fair enough but am I going to miss it punching paper out to 200 yard, plinking less than 100 and occasionally trying to ring steel at 500?
View Quote

Better glass is always helpful even more helpful than more magnification. Even you can afford it without selling an organ I'd say it's worth it. 
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Fair point. What about reticle choice on PST?
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:51:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I've looked through a friends with that cmr2 reticle he recently picked up,  It's definitely not daylight bright. i would buy the new HD version of it had better illumination but I don't think it does. I'd rather have the heavier pst 2 because I can use it like a red dot at 1x.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:56:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yes I've looked through a friends with that cmr2 reticle he recently picked up,  It's definitely not daylight bright. i would buy the new HD version of it had better illumination but I don't think it does. I'd rather have the heavier pst 2 because I can use it like a red dot at 1x.
View Quote

Okay I see the  issue then. The CMR2 was not daylight bright but any of the fire dot models are. (Fire dot BDC is the one I have)
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 3:10:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Personally, I think Vortex is going to sell many of these scopes. For $700'ish, you're getting 90%+ of the Razor Gen II 1-6x.
Heckuva deal.
View Quote

They said in the video is not gonna be as rugged, that why is lighter.. So not 90% at all, if the ruggedness isn't as important than is a good deal, and I'm sure it's a lot more rugged than the gen1 viper. I would just spend the extra on the razor for a shtf rifle though, they are "military vetted" glass.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Any thoughts on ruggedness compared to a Steiner P4Xi?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:11:30 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm going to try one of these on a medium range AR upper.  I'm not sure which model yet.

I already pre-ordered a UH-1 for my BCM 14.5 rifle.  

Now, I just need to pick a medium range AR upper!  KAC, BCM, Mk. 12 Mod. 1 from HCS?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:49:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm going to try one of these on a medium range AR upper.  I'm not sure which model yet.

I already pre-ordered a UH-1 for my BCM 14.5 11.5 rifle.  

Now, I just need to pick a medium range AR upper!  KAC, BCM, Mk. 12 Mod. 1 from HCS?
View Quote

Fixed it for you . I've got a h-1 on my BCM 11.5 and love it but the UH-1 has me second guessing my setup. I had an xps3-2 and sold it due to the flicker and my astigmatism. I have no reason to think a uh-1 would be any different but I'm turning into a huge Vortex fanboy.

BTW, a BCM 14.5 with a PST gen 2 1-6 would be a. Great setup. I'll post a review when my optic gets in 
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Any confirmation on country of origin on these?  Is the entire scope Philippine like the current PST?  Glass from LOW or full scope from LOW for the Gen 2?
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#42]
I've heard "less durable" getting said regarding this optic.  Does anyone from Vortex have quantifiable info regarding that?  I'd like one for my HD build, but if it won't take a little rattling (say from a multi day carbine course) I'm better of saving some for a razor or similar optic.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've heard "less durable" getting said regarding this optic.  Does anyone from Vortex have quantifiable info regarding that?  I'd like one for my HD build, but if it won't take a little rattling (say from a multi day carbine course) I'm better of saving some for a razor or similar optic.
View Quote

I can't imagine it'd be less durable than the original PSTs especially with the increased weight.

Haven't heard of the PSTs breaking easily.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would've been happy with an upgraded 1-4.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Less durable compared to the Razor Gen 2 which is an absolute beast. When I said that I was not intending to imply it would craps out under heavy use. 
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I would've been happy with an upgraded 1-4.
View Quote

I would definitely jump on a JBM reticle with a 2moa lit dot were one to become available
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Rog, the Razor is a tank.  Not reasonable to expect Razor durability at half the price.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:58:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Just ordered a 2-10x32 & 1-6x24 gen ll PST.

OP had a 10% discount today and it applied to my whole order.

Looks like late March they will be available?

Anyone hear any different?

Keeping fingers crossed because we all know how that always works out.

Comon spring!
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#49]
I just received an email today from Optics Planet stating that they expected mine (1-6 MRAD) to ship in 7-16 days.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Just got my shipping confirmation from Vortex.  Viper PST Gen II 1-6x should be delivered tomorrow.  I ordered directly from them through the Military/Law Enforcement Program.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top