Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2016 9:00:16 PM EDT
I did used to own the Razor HD ii 1-6. I was actually thinking about getting it again but then I saw the Burris and it peaked my interest. I've owned multiple Vortex's Vipers and Razors. I do think they offer a lot, and they were the pioneers in the no BS lifetime transferable warranty. IMO, they forced other manufacturers to follow their lead, and for that, we can all be grateful.

Anyway comparing it to the Razor HD 1-6, most people are going to ask about the eyebox. Although it's been awhile since I've looked through the Razor, I have to say that the Razors eyebox is larger. The heads up display like view the Razor offers is incredible. I would say that the Burris's eyebox is more like a Meopta k-dot, which is still a great scope IMO. Now keep in mind that I'm waiting on a mount, so I'm making this call just by holding it in my hands with no cheekweld whatsoever. I've played with the strike eagle, and I know many regard it as a great value, which I'm sure it is. But the first thing I noticed was the fishbowl effect of the SE. The XTR ii is much better, although I would still give the Razor the nod on this one.

Compared to scopes I've had a chance to use, I'd rank the eye box/least fishbowl like this:

Razor HD>XTR=Meopta>MTAC>SE

Reticle. I think the Razor's JM-1 reticle is great for this kind of scope and its intended use for getting hits on steel quickly, moreso than precision. I wanted a reticle like that and the XTR ii is an improvement IMO. It has an extra 400 yards of holdover over the JM-1 and windage, something that the JM-1 doesn't have. It might not be needed, but it's nice to have if you do and it doesn't clutter the reticle at all. As for brightness, it is very very bright. I would say it is almost as bright as an aimpoint on max, which is overkill anyway. Compared to my Primary Arms advanced micro dot, which is almost aimpoint bright, the XTR ii is probably just a smidge brighter. No worries about shooting it on a sunny day with snow on the ground, which is much brighter than the desert sun.

Knobs have a very solid and tactile click with no mushiness. Zero stop does not allow over 1 revolution with elevation knob and windage. So you can always find your zero with both.

Power adjustment ring is sooo much smoother and easier to operate than the Razor which we all know probably has the stiffest power ring of them all. REally fast changing zoom with a cat tail.

Eyebox

Brightness level 6

Max brightness, 11. Easy to see the dot even with the setting sun in my face.

Mounter in a LaRue LT-139 34mm
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that the ffp or the sfp model.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it made in Japan or Philippine?
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:36:32 PM EDT
[#3]
SFP model

Made in Japan
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice!

I got the 1.5-8 DFP when Burris released its XTR ii.  The dual focal plane is pretty neat concept but wish I had known about this gem.  The 1-8 RFP is a bit more compact.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Some pics of the elevation and windage knobs. The scope comes with a smaller elevation turret and cap if you want to run them covered. Both have the zero stop and revolution limiter. Max elevation adjustment is 9.5 mils after your zero has been set.

Uncapped elevation w/ capped windage

Windage cap removed

Uncapped elevation turret removed. The silver pin at the 12 o'clock is the turret stop.

The track that the pin rides in. As you can see, it's not a complete circle so it stops when it hits the wall, limiting revolution.

Same setup for windage. Approximately 4.5 mils of windage each way.

Small elevation turret installed, if you want to run it capped.

All capped

Quick video of me running through the elevation and windage. Very positive, tactile, and audible. Zero mushiness with either knobs.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm getting one.  Do you need the throw lever or is it easy enough to turn.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 12:10:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It's the easiest power ring I've ever handled. You can function fine without it, but this is my 3-gun rifle so I want the extra speed.

Plus, all rings get stiffer when the temperature drops. It gets a little chilly in the winters here.

Zoom adjustment with no cat tail
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 12:51:04 AM EDT
[#8]
What does it weigh?
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 12:56:22 AM EDT
[#9]
It's listed at 24.4 oz.

I don't have a scale that low to get the actual weight
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 3:41:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's the easiest power ring I've ever handled. You can function fine without it, but this is my 3-gun rifle so I want the extra speed.

Plus, all rings get stiffer when the temperature drops. It gets a little chilly in the winters here.

https://youtu.be/Fp1vIVcB7hM
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/Fp1vIVcB7hM

OH SNAP That looks like butter.  My SWFA 1-6 is a tight bitch.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Good glass?
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Glass is great. It's not a limiting factor in anyway.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like a great choice then. Imo 8x is vastly superior to 6x as well.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Finally got some sun today. tried my best to take pics of the illumination.

The sun is shining directly at the building, so it's pretty much as bright as the sun gets. I know it's hard to see in the pic, but I assure you that the red dot is very visible.

1x

With the sun out, I was able to compare it to my Vortex HS LR 2.5-10x32 (basically a Viper PST without the illumination). From a clarity/resolution standpoint, they are virtually identical. However, the Vortex controls chromatic aberration (the rainbow colored fringe around the edges of dark and bright parts of the image) a little better than the Burris.

8x. CA is not actually that bad, it just depends on where my camera was. These 2 images are on the same power but depending on position, the CA changes.

For comparison, the Vortex HS LR 2.5-10x32 FFP. The eyebox on the Vortex is a little bigger than the Burris at max power due to the 8mm larger objective, so it was a lot easier to get in a good position where the CA wasn't over exaggerated.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you for taking the time and pictures and doing all this.  I really want one but seems no one has them in stock.
I checked Sports optics and CMC Government Supply and you have to special order it.

Sports optics has the best price on them at $859.00 and I have bought from them before my VCOG and the Burris XTR II 1-5 always nice, but was told I would be put on a list and have to wait, but you don't pay for it until I come in and he sounded like he didn't know when.

CMC said would order it and would be a couple of weeks. ??? there price $899.00.

I haven't called SWFA yet. Im going to .
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Mike at cstactical had some in stock awhile ago, but they're sold out now.

He's priced match before for me. Might be worth giving him a call as he doesn't post forum (snipershide) prices.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thank you for taking the time and pictures and doing all this.  I really want one but seems no one has them in stock.
I checked Sports optics and CMC Government Supply and you have to special order it.

Sports optics has the best price on them at $859.00 and I have bought from them before my VCOG and the Burris XTR II 1-5 always nice, but was told I would be put on a list and have to wait, but you don't pay for it until I come in and he sounded like he didn't know when.

CMC said would order it and would be a couple of weeks. ??? there price $899.00.

View Quote

900 dollars? That seems fairly low for a 1-8x with this glass quality.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, MSRP is only $999. I got mine virtually brand new from the EE for quite a bit less than $800
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yep, MSRP is only $999. I got mine virtually brand new from the EE for quite a bit less than $800
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow my instinct is to say what's the catch? lol
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:20:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The catch...
I guess one thing that they could improve is the illumination knob, it's kind of mushy and the detent could be more positive.
Eyebox on 8x is a little tight in low light. For my use, I'm probably not taking a 700 yard shot at dusk on 8x anyhow. If I have to, I can just swap to my Vortex and be covered.
It's hefty, weighs the same as a Razor HD 1-6, and you need a 34mm mount (which I'm assuming isn't as common in stores as a 30mm).

I was kinda hesitant as well. There was relatively very little coverage/info on it. It was hard to find info on this scope as there was a lot of confusion early on, I think the delivery time for it was delayed multiple times, so some people lost interest. I was actually going to buy a Primary Arms Platinum 1-8x24, but the seller never responded and I saw this for sale for a few hundred dollars cheaper. So I said heck why not, I had seen a couple of reviews that were positive.

Oh yea, they come with pretty decent scope caps as well. They fit snug and and if you open the cap all the way, they snap back in the open position and don't flap around because it's not relying on spring tension.

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 3:31:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Mike at cstactical had some in stock awhile ago, but they're sold out now.

He's priced match before for me. Might be worth giving him a call as he doesn't post forum (snipershide) prices.
View Quote

Thank you for the info but he is in CA Elk Grove area and I'm in Sac, CA  = TAX  so NO WAY. That why I order all things over the net that I can.  AVOID the TAX.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice thread and great pictures TT.  The nicest review on this product that I have seen.  

This was suppose to be released in Feb, then pushed back a couple of months, then again ......  I was one of those guys who just couldn't wait any longer.  I thought it had a lot of promise. I went with a Leupold VX6 Multigun.  It's not perfect either, but wasn't willing to pay for a Swarovski or Kahles just to throw it in a barrel at matches.  

Street prices at $300 to $350 less than a Razor with good illumination and positive clicks on the turrets with good glass sounds like a winner to many.  I do wish they were lighter.  Both the XTR II and the Razor are damn heavy by anyone's standards.  The greater cost of the mount is a small issue.  I do think that they will sell a whole lot of these, WHEN they get the supply chain filled which is still an issue at this point.  

Two friends are currently shopping for glass.  I think that this optic should be on their short list.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Any particular reason you went SFP over the FFP?  The circle dot is very intriguing.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I've used the vortex JM1 reticle before and I like it for my uses.

Maybe I'll pick up a FFP in the future for my other build.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've used the vortex JM1 reticle before and I like it for my uses.

Maybe I'll pick up a FFP in the future for my other build.
View Quote

The PA has a pretty good eyebox. May try that for your ffp.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 3:08:42 AM EDT
[#26]
I found 2 in stock and got one for $859.00  So I'm happy.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Any new feedback?  Seriously considering one of these.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Haven't been able to shoot. Weathers been real crappy with no travel advisory and impassable roads.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Mines getting delivered today. Will be at the range Monday or Tuesday. Will update then.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 1:08:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Mines getting delivered today. Will be at the range Monday or Tuesday. Will update then.
View Quote

Maybe not. My recon mount is 30mm

You ever just shake your head and go faaaaak

Scope is super nice though. Love the adjustment clicks, glass is super nice.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Review

"This scope lasted about 25 rounds of 308 before the reticle came loose and started moving around in the scope leaving it completely un-usable. Apparently after all of the delays on release of this scope Burris has not been able to resolve quality issues and really should hold off on releasing new products before they are able to provide a reliable product."
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I have the same XTR2 SFP scope and i am very happy with it. I used a Samson MFG mount to hold it on an a MK machining cat tail on the mag ring.

Link Posted: 12/11/2016 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Review

"This scope lasted about 25 rounds of 308 before the reticle came loose and started moving around in the scope leaving it completely un-usable. Apparently after all of the delays on release of this scope Burris has not been able to resolve quality issues and really should hold off on releasing new products before they are able to provide a reliable product."
View Quote

EVERYONE, that makes something has defects, it is how you handle it after. Years ago I bought a Burris 1-4 XTR, when sighting it in for a match that weekend and had the reticle come loose. Called Burris they OFFERED to NEXT DAY shipped another scope, with a shipping label to send back the old one. I called Monday afternoon when this happened, had the new scope TUESDAY. Burris did good by my book, I used the scope for a year till I bought a Trijicon.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:55:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

EVERYONE, that makes something has defects, it is how you handle it after. Years ago I bought a Burris 1-4 XTR, when sighting it in for a match that weekend and had the reticle come loose. Called Burris they OFFERED to NEXT DAY shipped another scope, with a shipping label to send back the old one. I called Monday afternoon when this happened, had the new scope TUESDAY. Burris did good by my book, I used the scope for a year till I bought a Trijicon.
View Quote

+1

Ive had issues with all kinds of things, its how the company handles it that gives me the most confidence.  Shit happens, but if they stand behind the product and make it right, what more do you want?  

I just ordered a pair of these and larue mounts (1 set for my FIL for x-mas), should be a great weekend warrior setup for the $$$.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:56:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

+1

Ive had issues with all kinds of things, its how the company handles it that gives me the most confidence.  Shit happens, but if they stand behind the product and make it right, what more do you want?  

I just ordered a pair of these and larue mounts (1 set for my FIL for x-mas), should be a great weekend warrior setup for the $$.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I just ordered a pair of these and larue mounts (1 set for my FIL for x-mas), should be a great weekend warrior setup for the $$.

Agreed.

I bought a brand new Vortex Razor HD 5-20 that had an off center reticle, jagged etching, internal debris and an upside down power ring. Talked to Scott and they replaced it with a brand new one with a different reticle (EBR-2B) at no charge.

Also had a bad illumination module on my Meopta K-dot 1-4. They gave me a new scope no questions asked.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Review

View Quote

Did they send you a new one or what happened?
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#37]
So I'm fairly new to these style of reticles. Always had red dots in the past.  Either Reticle they offer for this scope do they have BDC or is it more like a Mil Reticle?
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Got mine in, still haven't had a chance to get to the range, but here's some eyecandy

Link Posted: 1/1/2017 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So I'm fairly new to these style of reticles. Always had red dots in the past.  Either Reticle they offer for this scope do they have BDC or is it more like a Mil Reticle?
View Quote

Both reticles offered for this scope is BDC based.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Do the turret caps replace the exposed turrets or do they go over them like some of the other scopes. I'm used to the Trijicon and Vortex scopes that have capped turrets.  Just didn't see the threads next to the esposed turrets.

Edit: nevermind I see that you said it has smaller turrets for capped.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome thanks!  Did you get a chance to take yours to the range yet?
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Awesome thanks!  Did you get a chance to take yours to the range yet?
View Quote

Only for a bit. Most of my shooting with it was on my .22
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top