Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2016 1:13:17 AM EDT
I'm trying to figure out what optic I want on my 12.5in SBR (5.56).  
So far, I'm looking at the Accupoint 1-4x with a triangle, ACOG TA33 (3x) or TA44 (1.5x), or an Aimpoint T-2.  

I'm trying to keep it relatively light, but will accept some weight for better performance (looking at 6-12in targets at 0-300m as the primary use).  
I like the Accupoint's variable zoom and good speed with a triangle at 1x.  The TA33 is about half the weight of the Accupoint, but I'd lose the variable zoom.  
The TA44 or T-2 have little to no magnification, but the best weight and close-up speed.  

I have previous experience with a Aimpoints (no magnification, but quick) and Bushnell's 1-6.5 (nice but not always daytime bright).  I have not used ACOGs extensively.  Unfortunately, this is likely to be a "blind buy" for me, as none of the local shops carry anything but the Aimpoint model I mentioned.

So, what say you?  Do you have similar experiences, and if so, what did you find?  Is a fixed 3x too slow at close range, or can you make up for it with tricks like BAC?
Is variable power worth their weight?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had all of those optics. What's your intended use for the rifle (more specific than 0-300m)?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd also throw in a shout out to the ACOG TA47 (2x). Smaller than the TA33, but a touch more magnification that the TA44. Not talked about much, but I like mine. I also have a TA33. Never had a TA44, but they intrigue me (could one serve in place of a red dot for me?).

I just put a 1-4x LPV (Nightforce NXS) on one of my 11.5 uppers. I love the scope, but it's my first LPV ever on an AR and I must say it really changes the handling characteristics of the weapon (added weight, higher center of gravity). If it were my only SBR upper, it would not be staying on there. Since it's not my only SBR upper, I like it for my intended role for that upper (mini-recce).

For simple, fast, and light, I just keep coming back to the Aimpoint Micros, whichever flavor you like. But, I like my TA47 on SBR uppers too--weight and balance feel the same as the Micro in a LT mount, and I feel I can be a little more precise with it. I've not done an on the timer, side by side comparison with TA47 vs T2, so I don't know how much the 2x hinders me as far as speed goes.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#3]
i just bought a TA44C 1.5x for a 14.5 barrel. since my eyes are getting bad and i refuse to wear glasses it was the best option.

love that little scope and only took about 2 mags to get use to it for shooting inside 50 yards. pretty sure i'm done with aimpoints and irons now. the 1.5x was even enough to get accurate hits on grapefruit sized rocks are 200 yards.

the extra large FOV really makes the target pop into your head when your eyes make the switch. i started with the scope really far forward thinking it would be better to not get sucked into the scope but i kept moving it back and found it worked better for me but of course YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i just bought a TA44C 1.5x for a 14.5 barrel. since my eyes are getting bad and i refuse to wear glasses it was the best option.

love that little scope and only took about 2 mags to get use to it for shooting inside 50 yards. pretty sure i'm done with aimpoints and irons now. the 1.5x was even enough to get accurate hits on grapefruit sized rocks are 200 yards.

the extra large FOV really makes the target pop into your head when your eyes make the switch. i started with the scope really far forward thinking it would be better to not get sucked into the scope but i kept moving it back and found it worked better for me but of course YMMV.
View Quote

Can confirm. My HD rifle wears an aimpoint M4, and I love the optic. All my other combat type optics are ACOG variants. The 44 in particular is awesome at short range general purpose carbine use.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#5]
TA33 on 12.5 using IMI M193 data

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Would get a T2 and call it a day
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or an H1 - H2. An SBR is best used up close and personal.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

unless its a 12.5" with soft points or TMK. then i'd guess 100 yards is a-ok.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Swinging a popper at 300&500 yards makes me think with a tsx offering - its lethal for some distance.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:05:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I prefer lpv optics mainly because I hunt with my rifles, I have an Rmr on one of my sbr's now and there's no easy shot placement on a moving coyote at 150-200 yards at dawn or dusk. I have a Viper pst 1-4 and I'm replacing the rmr with a Steiner p4xi. Red dots are great for hd and plinking, but for good shot placement on an animal close to 200 yards is not ideal in my opinion. Can it be done, yes. Can it be done in an easier more effective manor, most defiantly.

Don't get me wrong I love my rmr but each job has a specific tool, if your just plinking, using for hd, and banging steel I'd go red dot. If you plan to hunt varmints, shoot 300 yards +, or whatever it may be go lpv or acog.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:15:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Vortex Spitfire 1x on my 9mm upper; I really like it.
I just got the 3x version for my 5.56 upper today, so I'm not able to provide an informed opinion about it yet. My initial impression is favorable, though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 3:19:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the inputs, keep it coming!

Topgunpilot20, I'm kind of going for "general purpose," but my main activities will be plinking steel out to a couple hundred yards, 3-gun matches, and tactical carbine classes.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:34:05 AM EDT
[#13]
3x does not work well in close.  In my experience 2x can cut it ok for a few targets, but 1x is ideal.  3X and higher makes it very difficult to shoot close range even when using the Bindon Aiming Concept. Visually confusing for your brain is what comes to mind.

It all depends what ranges you want to shoot 80% of the time.  I have seen that a lot of people are surprised how well they can shoot 200-300 yards with a red dot that has a small MOA dot versus thinking that they will need a scope with magnification.  I use variable  optics on my 18" 3 gun rifle but have a EOTech on my 11.5 SBR.  The EOTech has a small (1 MOA) center dot so I can still easily hit the 12" plate at 200 yards.  But then the other 80% of the time when I am shooting at close range (75 yard or less) the large FOV and 65MOA outer ring is money.  Well worth the extra weight as compared to the aimpoint in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I run a EOtech 518 with a G23 flip to side QD 3x on my SBR. This is ideal since I can remove the magnifier to drop weight if needed or keep it on, flip it out of the way if needed and 3x is good for PID and shot placement within that range.You can do the same with the Aimpoint. The problem with magnified optics is the possibility of glare inside buildings when light is behind you if you plan to use it for HD/SD purposes as well.    
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Topgunpilot20, I'm kind of going for "general purpose," but my main activities will be plinking steel out to a couple hundred yards, 3-gun matches, and tactical carbine classes.
View Quote

Based on my experience with all of those optics, the Trijicon TR24 is the clear choice. Very fast up close, clear glass for distance, and stadia lines aren't necessary inside 300 yards. However, I'd look at the German No 4 crosshair reticle instead of the triangle if you'll be doing a lot of distance plinking. The illuminated dot is the same size as an Aimpoint at 1x, and the cross hair is more precise at distance.

None of your uses involve carrying the rifle for any distance, so the little extra weight is well worth the extra performance.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Based on my experience with all of those optics, the Trijicon TR24 is the clear choice. Very fast up close, clear glass for distance, and stadia lines aren't necessary inside 300 yards. However, I'd look at the German No 4 crosshair reticle instead of the triangle if you'll be doing a lot of distance plinking. The illuminated dot is the same size as an Aimpoint at 1x, and the cross hair is more precise at distance.

None of your uses involve carrying the rifle for any distance, so the little extra weight is well worth the extra performance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

regarding the TA24, here is what i experienced with one;

if i dont use my corrective glasses (i'm nearsighted) and i focus the eye piece, it gives me a fish eye effect when using the scope on 1x.
if i un-focus the eye piece so that the fish eye goes away, then the FOV is a little fuzzy.

if a guy doesnt dont need corrective eye wear or wears their glasses or contacts then i do think the TA24 is the bomb. just wish they had more reticle choices.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Steiner P4xi.  It's a true 1x with a daylight bright center red dot that can be used like a red dot, and it offers great glass and a 4x zoom for hitting your 300 m shots.

I was a Aimpoint T1 diehard until I got this Steiner, and I still love my T1, but for anything beyond 50-100 yards the Steiner is the clear winner.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:34:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Steiner P4xi.  It's a true 1x with a daylight bright center red dot that can be used like a red dot, and it offers great glass and a 4x zoom for hitting your 300 m shots.

I was a Aimpoint T1 diehard until I got this Steiner, and I still love my T1, but for anything beyond 50-100 yards the Steiner is the clear winner.
View Quote

How's the BDC track with an SBR?  Are you taking 150-200y shots with an SBR?  It's capable but maybe not the best tool for that job.

Also, weight considerations.  You have a lighter platform and throw on a 20oz optic.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:07:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I love my M4S Aimpoints bur for non SBR ARs a lot of shooters need to give BAC more of a chance and training.  Trijicon knows something about sights.
I am one of the lucky ones who suffer from very little phoria, however.
3X magnifiers aren't a bad idea either, especially on QD flip mounts.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:16:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Also, I am still a fan of full size Aimpoints, all things considered they give up little to the micro with a superb level of performance.
Once you go 2 eyes open you never go back, Aimpoint or ACOG. Let your brain work, it will go with the more detailed view every time.  My other favorite sight is a TA11C (Recon).
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 12:51:32 AM EDT
[#21]
I am running a Vortex SPARC II co-witnessed on my 10.5" duty rifle. Love it.

I have another upper that I tried one of the small Docter style sights on and do not care for it, switching that out to a Trijicon MRO Co-witnessed soon.

To me, the whole idea behind the SBR is to be small and compact while still delivering a good punch, why put a big honking optic on it?
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 1:14:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a 2.5-10 on a 12" stealth upper and a 1-4 on an 11.5. Both will beat the shit out of steel at 300 yards. With my vision I prefer to have some magnification if shooting at distance.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 4:40:24 AM EDT
[#23]
accupoint all day. Iove my two tr24's even more than my vcog
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Whatever you decide, AVOID at all costs a yellow or Amber reticle, they will completely disappear under the orange street lights. If you ever need it in a defensive situation in any city or town with sodium lighting, you're screwed.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Whatever you decide, AVOID at all costs a yellow or Amber reticle...

I like the red triangle.  Agree that TR-24 is the best optics for 300 yards and under.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 5:18:40 AM EDT
[#26]
The TA-50 (3x24) is what you seek, more FOV than the TA-33, almost as good as the TA-11, but not much bigger than the TA-44, but with a BDC reticle.

It has only been re introduced for about 6 months or so, but I had the original until the tritium died and sold it.

The new one is even better.

Best ACOG going for the money.

http://swfa.com/Trijicon-3x24-Compact-Acog-Rifle-Scope-P83008.aspx

Specs comparison

TA-50
Length9(in)         5.0"
Weight (oz):5.8
Eye Relief (in):1.4
Exit Pupil (mm):8
Field of View @ 100 yards (ft):25.6

TA-33
Length (in):6.1"
Weight (oz):7.7
Eye Relief (in):1.9
Exit Pupil (mm):8.4
Field of View @ 100 yards (ft):19.3

TA-11
Length (in):8
Weight (oz): 14
Eye Relief (in):2.4
Exit Pupil (mm):10
Field of View @ 100yds (ft):28.9
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:15:26 AM EDT
[#27]
1-4 feels at home on an 11.5.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:24:00 AM EDT
[#28]

If you decide to get an ACOG (or any other optic with a similar mounting system), pick up one of these GDI qd mounts while they're available cheap.

I got two from TAG last week.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The TA-50 (3x24) is what you seek, more FOV than the TA-33, almost as good as the TA-11, but not much bigger than the TA-44, but with a BDC reticle.

It has only been re introduced for about 6 months or so, but I had the original until the tritium died and sold it.

Specs comparison

TA-50
Length9(in)         5.0"

TA-33

TA-11
View Quote

nice to see trijicon making variations on the 3x model. the ta11 is just way to big for 3.5x, this looks like a winner if the TA33 is not your cup of tea.

one think i will say about my TA44 1.5x, it makes a better urban scope than it does an open range scope. living in the southern AZ desert and out on the rolling hills around tucson, the 1.5x magnification seems to get lost. i feel i can target better with just a RDS.

in a neighborhood the TA44 works well though, when you have houses and buildings to back stop the reticle. hope that makes sense....
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Aimpoint PRO is waiting for mine once I get the tax stamp
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Specs comparison

TA-50
Length9(in)         5.0"

TA-33

TA-11
View Quote

The TA-50 doesn't get a lot of press and generally gets bad word of mouth. This is generally due to its very short eye relief, which is about that of the 31 (which gets knocked for the same issue). If you shoot NTCH, it is a non-issue and mitigates the main drawback of the optic. If you shoot NTCH it's a great choice and you'll love the weight/size savings over the 33 as well as the greater FOV, if you don't shoot NTCH it is a poor choice.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#32]
My SBR is sub-6lbs unloaded and without optic, so I went with a H1 to keep it light.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 11:48:46 PM EDT
[#33]
since we are talking about optics for shorties, i'm curious what the hive thinks about the trijicon RX34 as a SHTF optic. is the trade off in always powered up worth the down side of the reflex sight?

i have had many aimpoints over the years and still do and none have ever failed but murphys law still rules. i love the RX34 outdoors in the day time but need to flip up the BUIS's for low light. is that too much of a handicap?
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 1:51:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
since we are talking about optics for shorties, i'm curious what the hive thinks about the trijicon RX34 as a SHTF optic. is the trade off in always powered up worth the down side of the reflex sight?

i have had many aimpoints over the years and still do and none have ever failed but murphys law still rules. i love the RX34 outdoors in the day time but need to flip up the BUIS's for low light. is that too much of a handicap?
View Quote

I carried them on Rem 870's when I was still in the service. They were great for the range but, again with the yellow reticle, they washed out fast under orange streetlights.

Also, unless it has tritium as a light source, a straight fiber optic sight SUCKS. The reason I say this is because if you are in a dark area, aiming into a lighted area, you will not have a very good illumination of your sight. A lot of people had this complaint when dealing with the RM05 vs. RM06 when mounting them on pistols.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 1:36:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I carried them on Rem 870's when I was still in the service. They were great for the range but, again with the yellow reticle, they washed out fast under orange streetlights.

Also, unless it has tritium as a light source, a straight fiber optic sight SUCKS. The reason I say this is because if you are in a dark area, aiming into a lighted area, you will not have a very good illumination of your sight. A lot of people had this complaint when dealing with the RM05 vs. RM06 when mounting them on pistols.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nice to heard from guys in service that have used this stuff. interesting to have it on a shotty.

as for the washing out, ya i know it well. indoors and low light is bad but i was thinking that is what the BUIS are for, just flip them up in those conditions. other that than, it works great during day light hours and even over cast skies.

i tend to lump these optics into the same category as irons, since they have no batteries to fail. then they give battery operated RDS performance most of the time. for those times they down, use flip ups i guess.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote

I have a RX34 that I use on my registered sub-machine gun. It's a range toy that only gets fired outdoors in sunlight, so it works fine for that. However, I would not recommend it for your intended use. Indoors in mixed lighting is where the red dot is the most useful, and you would be giving that up with the RX34 and irons.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#37]
I have used a TA33, a TA44 and a Aimpoint T1 on my 11.5 SBR.  The TA44 has been by far the best and is what I still have.  As always YMMV.  I have color blindness issues and find that the amber reticle is way better for me than the red.  Never tried shooting with a green reticle.  For my eyes, the amber is the only color that works well.

Edit to add that I also tried an RX30, which was OK, but too big and bulky for me.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I have used a TA33, a TA44 and a Aimpoint T1 on my 11.5 SBR.  The TA44 has been by far the best and is what I still have.  As always YMMV.  I have color blindness issues and find that the amber reticle is way better for me than the red.  Never tried shooting with a green reticle.  For my eyes, the amber is the only color that works well.

Edit to add that I also tried an RX30, which was OK, but too big and bulky for me.
View Quote

TA44 is a good alternative to the red dot if you want battery-free illumination. The black etched reticle will still be there if the illumination washes out.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 11:09:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I have a RX34 that I use on my registered sub-machine gun. It's a range toy that only gets fired outdoors in sunlight, so it works fine for that. However, I would not recommend it for your intended use. Indoors in mixed lighting is where the red dot is the most useful, and you would be giving that up with the RX34 and irons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i didnt really intend to use it as an indoors sight. i'm not a door kicker and i dont see doing house clearing at night in a survival SHTF world but i do agree its worthless at night but thats what he BUIS are for.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 3:20:17 AM EDT
[#40]
So.....if it's too dark for a fiber optic, how will you see the irons?

Are you running a light?
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#41]
DSC_7459 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
i didnt really intend to use it as an indoors sight. i'm not a door kicker and i dont see doing house clearing at night in a survival SHTF world but i do agree its worthless at night but thats what he BUIS are for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Irons are equally worthless at night. They are not a solution for the RX34's shortcomings.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Irons are equally worthless at night. They are not a solution for the RX34's shortcomings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

irons and a flash light are not worthless at night IMO. in fact i'd rather have irons than a RDS at night with a flash light.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#44]
I have an MRO on my 10.3" MK18 build and it's just fine for my 8" plate out to 200 yards. I absolutely love this combo.

I'd either drop the coin and get a 3-4X ACOG or get a nice smaller red dot and a flip down magnifier.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
irons and a flash light are not worthless at night IMO. in fact i'd rather have irons than a RDS at night with a flash light.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like you've got it all figured out then.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top