BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Red Dot arrived today. I'm impressed with it. Its bright enough for outdoors use too.

Current Weather: Sunny with snow on the ground.

The downside is the 1" Riser was just a bit too high to cowitness the iron sights.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Update three. Another 100 rounds of 300blackouy and the $9.99 utg mount keeps coming lose every 20 rounds or so. But the Allen screw on the optic is still going strong
View Quote

Did you apply Loctite to the UTG mount screws?  I've found with some of the cheap PA mounts that the mounting screws will back out under recoil if I don't liberally apply blue Loctite.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I ordered a lower height UTG Super Slim riser. IMO These are nicer than the older thumbscrew one. They are torqued down with 2x Torx Screws.

This red dots built in riser makes it a bit taller than other optics.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I ordered one today and the UTG .83 tall mount.  Both should be here Saturday.  Worth a try for $30 total.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 1:24:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Its a bit heavier than the TRS25. It actually looks like the older primary arms micro.

I'm gonna leave it on the "5" setting to test out battery life.

I'm in Illinois and today it was below 0 with wind chill. The package sat in the mailbox for awhile in the cold. After bringing it inside and warming it up I noticed there wasn't any condensation/fog inside the optic.

I'll leave it outside in the detached garage while its on.

The manual states 2000 hour battery life on the 7th setting.

Tempted to pull a primary arms and freeze it in some ice.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Red dot will be here Thursday.

My riser arrived today. Im actually impressed with it for $20.

https://leapers.com/images/370X235/MT_RSX7S_PRO_1.gif

The fit and finish are very nice. The screws are torx and appear to be hardened. Unlike the other UTG risers this actually looks like aluminum vs cast pot metal. The Material/Finish reminds me alot of my Strike industries angled forgrip.

The finish and material does not look sloppy at all, and the laser etching doesn't make it look like a billboard.

It would pair nicely with a Lucid, Bushnell, or the Red Dot mentioned in this thread.
View Quote

Info on riser? make, ordering, etc?
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Info on riser? make, ordering, etc?
View Quote

Made by UTG and its adverised as "super slim"

Ebay/Amazon has them. You are gonna want the .75" version for thid red dot.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Did you apply Loctite to the UTG mount screws?  I've found with some of the cheap PA mounts that the mounting screws will back out under recoil if I don't liberally apply blue Loctite.
View Quote

I only hand tighten it and it had loosened a bit under recoil a few times
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I only hand tighten it and it had loosened a bit under recoil a few times
View Quote

For the UTG Wingnuts you can slide an Allen Wrench/rod into the holes and torque it down a bit more.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

For the UTG Wingnuts you can slide an Allen Wrench/rod into the holes and torque it down a bit more.
View Quote

I was afraid of using tools. Kinda seemed like the steel was a bit soft and don't want to break it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did this with mine (careful not to go too far), and haven't had it move at all on a 9mm AR.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#12]
What the heck, I picked one up too.  Let's see how long it can last.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 12:15:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What the heck, I picked one up too.  Let's see how long it can last.
View Quote

Same, range trip is next week.

Pics:

The dot is actually really crisp. (Sorry no pics of the dot)
Windage/Elevation adjustments click and won't be an issue.
Its sorta heavy for a micro dot. Then again a MRO spoiled me for the longest time.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 12:22:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I picked up one a while back to replace a primary arms on one of my paintball guns, I'm impressed with the dot and ended up with it on a ruger 22/45, no issues so far, but only one range trip under its belt.

if I get a chance I'll slap it on my Barrett and see how long it lasts
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Tagged for ongoing aars.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 1:18:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Same, range trip is next week.
The dot is actually really crisp. (Sorry no pics of the dot)
Windage/Elevation adjustments click and won't be an issue.
Its sorta heavy for a micro dot. Then again a MRO spoiled me for the longest time.
View Quote

Which height riser did you use and what cowitness are you getting?
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 2:56:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Which height riser did you use and what cowitness are you getting?
View Quote

Went with the .75" riser. Co-witness is slightly below absolute. With the 1" riser the red dot was just a bit too tall for the irons.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 6:16:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks Capt.
Do you think the .83" would give a lower 1/3, or still too high.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I read .83 gives lower 1/3 co-witness on AR-15 with this red dot.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Red Dot arrived today. I'm impressed with it. Its bright enough for outdoors use too.

Current Weather: Sunny with snow on the ground.

The downside is the 1" Riser was just a bit too high to cowitness the iron sights.
View Quote

1 inch risers are for lower 1/3rd cowitness. Absolute co witness is either 0.75" or 0.80" iirc.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#21]
For Christ's sake if you expect a mount to stay put, use some blue loctite on the screws. Even a .22lr will loosen mounting screws up in 20 or 30 shots without loctite.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I think I'm going to give one a try on my new 300blk upper since it's just a range toy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

1 inch risers are for lower 1/3rd cowitness. Absolute co witness is either 0.75" or 0.80" iirc.
View Quote

The 1" riser wasn't even a 1/3 cowitness. It was like a 1/20th cowitness. It seems like this optic sits just a little bit higher than the primary arms/bushnell micros.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Put one of those red dots on my 10/22. And also have the 4 reticle reflex for the .22. WTH, if they become trash; oh well.

Link Posted: 12/25/2016 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#25]
After seeing the post on the Fieldsport micro red dot sight sold on Amazon I put this on my Christmas list.  My Wife gave me the red/green version model D007RG plus the UTG high mount (.830) MNT-RS10S3 for Christmas.  This mount gives the FieldSport RDS a lower 1/3 co-witness on an AR-15 and exact co-witness on my Tavor.  I previously bought a UTG .50 mount MNT-RS05S2.  I haven't tried this mount on the FS RDS on my AR-15 but it appears this mount will give exact co-witness with my BUIS.

Here is a picture of the FieldSport RDS and UTG High mount on my Tavor

Field Sport by

I have been wanting to try one of the smaller RDS and this sight looked like an inexpensive way to see if I liked a small red dot sight.   I was surprised as this sight and mount appear to be of good quality.  I adjusted the dot to sit centered on top of my Tavor front sight.  The Tavor is sighted in at 100 yards.

Here is a picture of the RDS looking at the other side of the Tavor.  I like how I can put one bikini cover over the top edge of the sight and one below the eye piece and the rubber bikini cover stays in place.

Guns III by

I just came in from shooting my Tavor with the FieldSport R/G sight.  I checked my zero at 50 yards using my hand loads with a 65 grain game king.  The bullets impacted exactly where they should.  The Tavor places the RDS about 3.5" over the bore so at 50 yards you have to aim high with a 100 yard zero.  I had no trouble hitting a gallon jug filled with water.

I really like this sight and on this rainy overcast day I used the # 2 setting on red.  I want to test the zero between red and green but by just looking at the front sight both red and green dots set in the same locations.  This should indicate no shift in impact whether using the red or green dot.

Here is a picture of the FS sight mounted on the .83 UTG riser next to the .5 UTG riser.

IMG_0022 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/150966264@N06/]

Here is a picture of the UTG low .50 mount and package.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/X4UrEg]IMG_0025 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/150966264@N06/]

Here is a picture of the FieldSport package and the information sheet indicates it is a 4 MOA Dot.  I really like the size and weight of this sight and is as easy to use as my Vortex Strikefire I keep on one of my 22 LR AR-15's.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/X1RB7h][url=https://flic.kr/p/X1RB7h]Field Sport by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/150966264@N06/]
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I decided to try the UTG .50 low mount with the FieldSport R/G sight.  The mount gives the correct height for the FieldSport Sight to be exact co-witness with my Midwest Ind. BUIS.

Here is a picture of my KKF dedicated 22 LR AR-15 with the FS R/G sight with .50 mount.  The rear BUIS is Midwest Industries and the front sight was branded and sold by Brownell's.

Field Sport by

This picture shows the same rifle with the Simmons 30 MM 4 MOA Dot sight on a RRA 1" mount.  I bought this Simmons back in the 90's and it has always worked.  Just a little large compared to the new micro dots.

Field Sport by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/150966264@N06/]

I'll probably leave the FieldSport on the 22 LR to do some cheap additional testing.

Here is a little closer look at the FieldSport R/G on the low .50 UTG mount attached to my 22 LR AR-15.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/X4U6hT]IMG_0053 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/150966264@N06/]

After attaching the micro FS R/G I shot about 45 rounds at my steel plate at 50 yards.  With the sight mounted forward and using two eyes open the scope ring/tube pretty much disappears from view making the rifle very fast on target.  I didn't notice any difference in speed between the FS R/G and my Strikefire or Simmons 30 MM RDS.

I really like the FieldSport red/green micro red dot sight especially for $22.99 for the RDS and $6.99 for the high UTG mount.  I'll probably leave the micro red dot on one of my 22 LR AR-15's.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 2:48:27 AM EDT
[#27]
I went with red only since I thought the battery/led life would last longer.

Also if its anything like the Vortex Strikefire I speculated that red only would be brighter vs dual color
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Anyone else. Bothered by the blue tint the glass has? Shooting in daylight is ok but anything else would suck
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#29]
It doesn't really bother me. Even my MRO had a tint. If you shoot with both eyes open it shouldnt be a problem.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#30]
ordered two.

Plan on using them on 22s
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Anyone else. Bothered by the blue tint the glass has? Shooting in daylight is ok but anything else would suck
View Quote

I didn't notice any tint on my Red/Green FieldSport and the dot was very crisp regardless whether red or green.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Got mine in two days ago.  Honestly looks great and has a solid feel.  One thing I've noticed is that inside the house looking around the dot bursts but looking outside with it even at relatively short distances the dot is nice and crisp.  I have relatively little time behind "premium" red dots so I don't know if this is due to the lighting inside, the short distance, the white walls inside, or my astigmatism.  For $20 I can over look it.  

Won't be able to shoot it for a while still so no info on how it holds a zero (or how long the it will even turn on) but initial surface level impressions are positive.  No, it isn't an Aimpoint, but I didn't expect it to be.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Mine is tinted but no issues with it. It is now dusk here and it's just fine, as it is looking down a dark hallway. It's red only. its reflex cousin I purchased is red / green and it too is ok.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 12:59:47 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm about to order one of these for my 300blk range gun. Are everyone's impressions still positive about this sight?
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Damn it if I didn't go and get sucked in.... 

Cheapo red dot ordered - check!

Cheapo UTG slim riser ordered - check!
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm about to order one of these for my 300blk range gun. Are everyone's impressions still positive about this sight?
View Quote

Mine held zero just fine, I accidentally banged my ar pistol into a few things optic first too.

The one purchase I do regret is a Blitzkrieg Chevron fsp..

Honestly if I ever decided to sell the rifle to a friend or something. Throwing this red dot on it might be a good way to seal the deal :D

I think of it as a loaner.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#37]
I ordered 2. What the heck. They actually look decent. Put one on my 22lr AR upper, other one will go on something one day.  Maybe my M11/9 dedicated 22lr upper and see if it can handle full auto abuse.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:47:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Damn it if I didn't go and get sucked in.... 

Cheapo red dot ordered - check!

Cheapo UTG slim riser ordered - check!
View Quote

You never know. Kind of like a penny stock. Got the red dot and the red/green 4 reticle heads-up and cheap utg rail for my 10/22. So far so good.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:15:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Still haven't fired it.  I thought the dot was a little jacked up but I had my hands on a Trijicon MRO yesterday and the dots looked basically the same.  It's my eyes that are jacked up.  It's been in a drawer for nearly a month and still works

Has anyone figured out which riser height (if any) gives absolute co-witness?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 2:16:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You never know. Kind of like a penny stock. Got the red dot and the red/green 4 reticle heads-up and cheap utg rail for my 10/22. So far so good.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm not too worried.  I was just trying to go a month... ok a week without spending any money on gun stuff, haha!
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:40:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Bit the bullet and bought the red&green one with slim mounts as well.
Will be here Sunday.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:52:15 AM EDT
[#42]
I took my AR-22 out last Sunday to test in the cold.  There was snow on the ground and bright sun.  I was able to clearly see the red and green dots in the bright sun light.  Both colors have enough intensity to be clearly seen and have held zero.  I still like the sight and will probably leave it on my AR-22.  I think this sight is definitely worth the price.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Have a little fun with it

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yeah, I'm not too worried.  I was just trying to go a month... ok a week without spending any money on gun stuff, haha!
View Quote

That's funny. I hear that. Pretty much the way I bought those el cheapos. Sitting here now prowling. So far my resistance prevails. But a long day lies ahead.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Ordered a few of these to try out on my springers. Turns out I need to order a dovetail to weaver/picatinny style adapter to make that happen.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Hey guys I'm i don't know what's going on with my phone but no pictures are showing up.  I want to pick one of these ups but what is it called?   No one seems to actually reference its name.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#47]
I got one and the mid riser for my airsoft Mk18 trainer.

We'll see how well it works for $30.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:14:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Ok I got one on the way.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#49]
I have seven. Two are back up piggy backs, one is primary on a 45/70 bolt action and three are on shot guns. I havnt had one fail yet. Wind, rain,heat, recoil, abuse. Etc.. battery life is 48 hour on a five setting.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:22:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have seven. Two are back up piggy backs, one is primary on a 45/70 bolt action and three are on shot guns. I havnt had one fail yet. Wind, rain,heat, recoil, abuse. Etc.. battery life is 48 hour on a five setting.
View Quote

I was hoping it would be a little better than that.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top