Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2016 10:58:45 PM EDT
I’m planning on buying a Leupold scope, one of the smaller tac versions, in 1-1.5 to 4 or 6 x power.

Other vendors make good scopes as well, but I’ve had good use out of my other Leupold scopes so I’m sticking with them.

Planning on putting it on a AR in 6.8mm, 16” barrel.  It’s a LWRC, and very accurate, so there’s a benefit in having a good scope.

I’m looking at the following:

VX-R Patrol, 1.25-4x20.  I already have one of these on a .300 BO, and like it.  It’s this one: https://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/vx-r-patrol/vx-r-patrol-1-25-4x20mm-30mm/
  Pros: Cheapest of the three, daylight bright dot, easy to use reticle.
  Cons: Not a true 1X power, only 4x mag, not a bullet drop reticle.

Mark 4 MR/T, 1.5-5X20, with a .300 Blackout reticle, this one: https://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/mark-4-mrt-riflescopes/mark-4-mrt-1-5-5x20mm-30mm-blackout/
   Pros: I like the idea of the .300 Blackout reticle, with the marks for both supers and subs.  If I got this one I’d put it on my AR .300 BO, and then move the VX-R patrol over to the 6.8mm.  Is the clarity and light transmission on the MR/T line quite a bit better than on the VX series?
   Cons: The 1.5x would make it harder to use for close encounters.  Don’t know if the illuminated circle is daylight bright.  Haven’t heard feedback on how useful the .300 Blackout reticle is.  Also expensive at $1400 bucks, on Midway.  And the MR/T series is a bit long in the tooth at 3 plus years old for this model – have scopes improved since then such that you can get more for less?

VX-6, 1-6x24, with either the CM-R2 reticle or the FireDot BDC.

Pros: listed as a 1x for close work – would like to hear feedback about how good the image is at 1x.  6x at the top end for better use of the high accuracy of the LWRC.

Cons:  Don’t know how daylight bright the dots are.  I’d assume the FireDot BDC is daylight bright, just like the VX Patrol is.  The CM-R reticle looks great if it’s daylight bright, but since it’s going on a 6.8mm instead of 5.56mm with 62 grain bullets, the holdover marks probably won’t line up.

It’s too bad that Leupold creates a fantastic looking .300 BO reticle, then only has it on a few scopes, that are highly more expensive that their other models.  I’d snap up a VX Patrol or a VX-6 with that reticle on it.  I’m hesitant to drop $1400 on the Mark 4 one that’s 3+ years old since roll out, and is a 1.5 power at the low end.

So, leaning towards either the VX-6 if those reticles are daylight bright, and useful with a 6.8mm round.  Otherwise, I’ll save some money and get another VX-R Patrol, sight it in at 50/200 ish, and then figure out 100 and 300 yard aiming points in the FireDot reticle.

Any comments or suggestions about these three, or another Leupold in a similar niche would be welcome.  As stated, I’m going to get one of these Leupold scopes so please no “have you looked at Steinar/Vortex/Trijicon”.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:50:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I’m planning on buying a Leupold scope, one of the smaller tac versions, in 1-1.5 to 4 or 6 x power.

Other vendors make good scopes as well, but I’ve had good use out of my other Leupold scopes so I’m sticking with them.

Planning on putting it on a AR in 6.8mm, 16” barrel.  It’s a LWRC, and very accurate, so there’s a benefit in having a good scope.

I’m looking at the following:

VX-R Patrol, 1.25-4x20.  I already have one of these on a .300 BO, and like it.  It’s this one: https://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/vx-r-patrol/vx-r-patrol-1-25-4x20mm-30mm/
  Pros: Cheapest of the three, daylight bright dot, easy to use reticle.
  Cons: Not a true 1X power, only 4x mag, not a bullet drop reticle.

Mark 4 MR/T, 1.5-5X20, with a .300 Blackout reticle, this one: https://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/mark-4-mrt-riflescopes/mark-4-mrt-1-5-5x20mm-30mm-blackout/
   Pros: I like the idea of the .300 Blackout reticle, with the marks for both supers and subs.  If I got this one I’d put it on my AR .300 BO, and then move the VX-R patrol over to the 6.8mm.  Is the clarity and light transmission on the MR/T line quite a bit better than on the VX series?
   Cons: The 1.5x would make it harder to use for close encounters.  Don’t know if the illuminated circle is daylight bright.  Haven’t heard feedback on how useful the .300 Blackout reticle is.  Also expensive at $1400 bucks, on Midway.  And the MR/T series is a bit long in the tooth at 3 plus years old for this model – have scopes improved since then such that you can get more for less?

VX-6, 1-6x24, with either the CM-R2 reticle or the FireDot BDC.

Pros: listed as a 1x for close work – would like to hear feedback about how good the image is at 1x.  6x at the top end for better use of the high accuracy of the LWRC.

Cons:  Don’t know how daylight bright the dots are.  I’d assume the FireDot BDC is daylight bright, just like the VX Patrol is.  The CM-R reticle looks great if it’s daylight bright, but since it’s going on a 6.8mm instead of 5.56mm with 62 grain bullets, the holdover marks probably won’t line up.

It’s too bad that Leupold creates a fantastic looking .300 BO reticle, then only has it on a few scopes, that are highly more expensive that their other models.  I’d snap up a VX Patrol or a VX-6 with that reticle on it.  I’m hesitant to drop $1400 on the Mark 4 one that’s 3+ years old since roll out, and is a 1.5 power at the low end.

So, leaning towards either the VX-6 if those reticles are daylight bright, and useful with a 6.8mm round.  Otherwise, I’ll save some money and get another VX-R Patrol, sight it in at 50/200 ish, and then figure out 100 and 300 yard aiming points in the FireDot reticle.

Any comments or suggestions about these three, or another Leupold in a similar niche would be welcome.  As stated, I’m going to get one of these Leupold scopes so please no “have you looked at Steinar/Vortex/Trijicon”.

Thanks,
View Quote

I recently acquired the VX-6 in a trade and while I am not familiar with the VXR I can say that the illumination is not blindly bright it does not bloom in doors.

ETA: Firedot BDC
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#2]
The CMR reticle is also, unfortunately not daylight bright. Because if it was, I'd be out of a grand.

Damnit leupold, you had one job.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 12:12:34 AM EDT
[#3]
It is good that the 1.25-4x VX-R Patrol does not have a "bullet drop" reticle.  That scope has a full MRAD system of mil turrets and matching mil based SPR reticle.  With ballistic software these turrets and reticle can be used with any weight and velocity ammunition.  Bullet drop reticles tie you into specific loads and barrel lengths and vague approximations.

The FireDot reticle in the VX-R is both motion activated and full daylight bright when needed.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The CMR reticle is also, unfortunately not daylight bright. Because if it was, I'd be out of a grand.

Damnit leupold, you had one job.
View Quote

This is good to know, I've been very close to buying one several times. Think I'm going to get the new Steiner instead. I really want a sub 16 oz 1-6 daylight bright scope around $1000, something with a mil/mil reticle preferably. The mk6 1-6 doesn't have a very forgiving eye box from what I've heard, otherwise I'd pick one up.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 11:03:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Bullet drop reticles are never on the money. Too many variables exist, barrel length, actual velocity, altitude above sea level, bullet weight. bullet ballistic coefficient, centerline height of the scope over the bore's centerline and at least a few more that I can't think of right now.

I much prefer Leupold's custom bullet drop compensation turrets because I can zero at 200 and make a cheat sheet based on my personal rifle and ammo for my clicks out to any reasonable distance.

1.25-4 and 1-5 scopes act like a red dot when you turn the magnification all the way down and the illumination up. Both eyes open works fine. When you want to shoots accurately at longer ranges turn the magnification up and the illumination down or completely off.

I consider these variable scopes to be the best for all around use on an AR-15.

I purchased several Leupold European-30 (now discontinued) with duplex reticles for only $325.00 (1.25-4 and 2-7) and they have been great scopes for the price I paid. They are not illuminated, but are very fast and accurate from close range out to 250 yards without any need for BDC or applying clicks. They came with 3 clicks to an inch (1 cm) standard for the metric world (the same as Trijicin ACOG clicks).

The Mark 4 Mid-Range Tactical scopes are great and already have a BDC elevation dial designed for 62 grain M855 ammo at what velocity, altitude, temperature is anyone's guess. Simply zero it at 200 yards and then make records of the actual clicks needed at longer ranges. You can print a cheat sheet and tape it right to your stock.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Mark 4 MR/T here.  I like it but have honestly never had a chance to really stretch it out any,

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#7]
the fire dot on the Mark AR 1.5-4 is extremely bright , snowy day blue sky bright no problem

if you shoot the scope as a red dot , both eyes with the front lens cap shut it works very well and mitigates the extra magnification and feels like true 1x scope........almost true red dot feel.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
the fire dot on the Mark AR 1.5-4 is extremely bright , snowy day blue sky bright no problem

if you shoot the scope as a red dot , both eyes with the front lens cap shut it works very well and mitigates the extra magnification and feels like true 1x scope........almost true red dot feel.
View Quote

Yes, that is occluded eye shooting.  If done rapidly you can get suprisingly good results.  I've done it with my 3-9x40mm Leupold Firedot Patrol scope.  I've since added an offset mini reflex dot, but was stunned at how well the dot in the scope worked up close using occluded eye technique and closed front cap.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I came across this which might be an avenue for you to get the reticle you want in the scope you want:

https://customshop.leupold.com/
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It is good that the 1.25-4x VX-R Patrol does not have a "bullet drop" reticle.  That scope has a full MRAD system of mil turrets and matching mil based SPR reticle.  With ballistic software these turrets and reticle can be used with any weight and velocity ammunition.  Bullet drop reticles tie you into specific loads and barrel lengths and vague approximations.

The FireDot reticle in the VX-R is both motion activated and full daylight bright when needed.
View Quote

I would much rather have a BDC reticle in a low zoom scope.

The idea behind these these type of scopes are quick hits on targets, not the utmost precision of the hits.

In my opinion the mil or moa type reticles are much better suited for scopes in a higher magnification range that may be used for true precision shooting.  You truthfully won't be doing much dialing and figuring out exact ranges in low zoom scope.  And if you are, you are using the wrong scope for the job anyway.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The idea behind these these type of scopes are quick hits on targets, not the utmost precision of the hits.

In my opinion the mil or moa type reticles are much better suited for scopes in a higher magnification range that may be used for true precision shooting.  You truthfully won't be doing much dialing and figuring out exact ranges in low zoom scope.  And if you are, you are using the wrong scope for the job anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I generally agree, but if that happens to be the scope/rifle combo you have with you in the field at the time, then it is helpful to be able to take that long shot more precisely, 4x limitation notwithstanding.  Not disagreeing in principle, but I've found myself in the field wishing I'd brought a different long arm that day.  The SPR reticle in the low power Patrol does seem to cover the bases reasonably well.  It's a compromise, for sure, though, with the subtensions a full 2.5 mils apart.  At least they do match the turrets.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:44:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes, that is occluded eye shooting.  If done rapidly you can get suprisingly good results.  I've done it with my 3-9x40mm Leupold Firedot Patrol scope.  I've since added an offset mini reflex dot, but was stunned at how well the dot in the scope worked up close using occluded eye technique and closed front cap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nice, didn't know it had a name. I heard about it and gave it a try and I am sold , I was suffering remorse for not going ol reliable red dot at the time ...... these days I rarely miss having RD .
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like the old (80's) OEG or some such sight - before red dots came out, there was a company that sold such sights.  A solid sight without a way to see through it, and a tritium powered red dot in the middle.  Youd keep both eyes open, and your brain would ignore the blacked out section from you gun eye, and overlap the red dot onto a view of that area from you non-gun eye.  I had one on my 10/22, and it worked surprising well.

Thanks for all the feedback.  I think I'll order up another 1.25x4 FIredot, sight it in at 50/200 ish, and then work up a 100 and 300 yard hold up/down plan for the reticle, and a cllick adjustment basis for the turrets, taking advanage of the fact/issue that they don't have cops on them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sounds like the old (80's) OEG or some such sight - before red dots came out, there was a company that sold such sights.  A solid sight without a way to see through it, and a tritium powered red dot in the middle.  Youd keep both eyes open, and your brain would ignore the blacked out section from you gun eye, and overlap the red dot onto a view of that area from you non-gun eye.  I had one on my 10/22, and it worked surprising well.

Thanks for all the feedback.  I think I'll order up another 1.25x4 FIredot, sight it in at 50/200 ish, and then work up a 100 and 300 yard hold up/down plan for the reticle, and a cllick adjustment basis for the turrets, taking advanage of the fact/issue that they don't have cops on them.
View Quote

It's the same principle, OE stands for Occlued Eye and I believe the G stands for Gun sight.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Having one cap closed also helps when going from structures to outdoors(dark, bright, dark, bright) or vise versa. Less adjustments(brightness) needed, just wish Leup w use a knob instead of a mush button.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top