Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2016 10:21:41 AM EDT
I'm not finding many long term use reviews on this guy. I happened upon a new gun that jeeds more red dot, and i like the sight but there are stories out there that make it sound terrible. Has anyone used one for a while?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I've only read good things about the sight.  Virtually the only difference between the sight and the Israeli M5 is it uses a polymer hood instead of aluminum, which considering the "lenses" are one solid prism isn't really a big deal.  The only criticism I've seen is actually of its distributor, Mako Group, and their customer service.  So just buy from Brownells and have a lifetime unconditional guarantee, problem solved.

In fact, I just ordered one yesterday from there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:06:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never read anything bad about them.  The only negative I have read about is the customer service in the US.

I really like mine.  With that said, I have not ran it hard as in a class.  They are a great deal when you can get one on sale for $300.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had one on my first gen Tavor for a while now and it's been great.
You can't really beat the price and if you're looking for MIL-SPEC you can always get the $695 "pro" version.
Bottom line: Love the one I have and would buy another.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 3,
Really like them.
Like them even better b/c they were <$300 each delivered.
One was a Botach special.
Another was off of ebay (demo)
Another was direct from Mako at discount.
They will likely do black Friday deals at similar $.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Used to own several of the RDS'. Only downsides for me: Could be a little brighter at max, occasionally the control knob would rotate to 'off' from rubbing against my gear during transitions, one had a flickering dot until I really tightened the battery cap, and the initial claimed 15K hrs at max brightness turned out to be 2K hrs at max brightness.
Good optic, loved the AA battery, integral QD mount, KISS control knob (do we really need 20 different brightness levels?) and huge FOV through the window.
Tomac
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#6]
My impressions from the one I got in the mail Saturday.  Amazing FOV, crisp precise dot, auto-on feature works well, love that it takes AA batteries, integral QD mount is great and is 1/3 cowitness height.  On the other hand, it's very large and bulky, max brightness is sufficient but I'd prefer a bit brighter, I like it doesn't overload you with brightness settings but only 3 plus a NV is a little too reductive IMO, and lastly I don't think it's actually NV compatible since you can definitely see a dot at the lowest setting when its dark.

Hell of a RDS for ~$400, IMO.  People really don't like Mako's customer service, I'd buy from a store that will back the product like Brownells (lifetime unconditional return policy).
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I have 3 of the early ones that have aluminum hoods, they have been mounted on everything from AR's, AR pistols, a Galil ACE (too tall for the rifle IMO) and a PARA FAL (also too tall). Never an issue. Works really good on my 20" AR with the Franklin Armory BFS installed
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#8]
So one other thing to know.

They get the claim for the very long battery life based on having a vibration (motion) switch on the sight.  It's really sensitive which is both good and bad.

Great if you gave a nice stable safe or storage place.  Not so much if you plan to leave it switched on in a vehicle or stored somewhere with a "bouncy" floor.  Even the vibration of someone walking by can be enough to keep it turned on!  You only get about 3-6 months in that case.

Still a great sight.  I have two and like them.  I do want to try a MRO as a possible option.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have 3 of the early ones that have aluminum hoods, they have been mounted on everything from AR's, AR pistols, a Galil ACE (too tall for the rifle IMO) and a PARA FAL (also too tall). Never an issue. Works really good on my 20" AR with the Franklin Armory BFS installed
View Quote

They still make the aluminum hood model, it's the Tru-Dot Pro or something like that.  It's Israeli mil-spec.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top