Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2016 12:38:26 AM EDT
We are putting together a couple of extreme budget build AR15's for a buddy's twins. We are building 2 Carbines for less than $1000 including 3 Magpul 30 rd and a 10 rd Hunting Mag and to make it worse that includes a free float hand guard, scope and Mounts.
Given the extreme budget this is what I have come up with.

$60.63 (Free Shipping) Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 "Dusk & Dawn"
$10.20 (includes tax) Weaver Quad Mounts.

Those mounts are aluminum but I've had luck with them before due to the fact its essentially four mounts.

Any better Scope & Mount Combo for under $100?

The scope makes Chuck Hawks list so it shouldn't be unusable I hope?

PS if your interested in the whole build its "Twins for the Twins" in Build It Yourself.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:34:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#2]
The bushnell dusk & dawn scope is an excellent scope.  And I believe that the first time I've ever seen anyone prefer UTG over weaver....

Just FYI, not quite as cheap, but PSA has Bushnell Trophy XLT 3-9x40 Bone Collector Edition Riflescope for 69.99 with free shipping, they include butler creek lens caps at that price too!  I have a Dusk & Dawn 6-20 and it is clear all the way through full magnification.

Also, should you wish to use an actual AR one piece cantilever mount, I've used the CCOP mount on Amazon with excellent results, they are usually ~33 bucks.

BTW, I saw your build post in the other forum, you should post pictures there when you're done.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Bushnell Banner that has resided on a 30-06 for years.

It never lost zero from shooting, but fell over on a carpeted floor a while back and was knocked WAY out of adjustment.  Prior to that it was holding up nicely.

Today I would look at the inexpensive offerings from Vortex.  If you ever manage to break it from normal use they will replace it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:02:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd go with the Bushnell Trophy XLT 3-9x40 over the Banner.  I believe Bushnell is discontinuing or redesigning the Trophy XLT scopes, so they are being blown out on clearance.  With a little searching, you can find them for just a bit over $60 (as mentioned above).  The retail price for these scopes just a year ago was around $150 to $200.

I have a Bushnell Trophy XLT 3-9x40 I bought a year and a half ago used as a placeholder scope.  I mounted it a Remington 700 in 6.5x55.  I was very pleasantly surprised at the optical clarity, to the extent I left it on the rifle for deer season.  

Trophy XLT is still a "budge"t type scope, but the clarity and light transmission was sufficient for me to shoot two deer in early morning light in fairly thick timber this past season.  I think the Trophy XLT is a steal at the current pricing, and would make for a serviceable and reliable optic.

ETA: I would recommend the Primary Arms Basic Scope Mount for an AR ($25).  I bought one to pair with a cheap scope to throw on new build uppers for their first range session.  This mount is not pretty but it works.  Held zero on two separate rifles, one in .223 and to the other in 6.8.  It is sized for a 30 mm tube but comes with spacers for a 1" scope.  I used it with the spacers.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:11:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Natchez has the refurbished 3x fixed power Nikon P-223 for $110. A lot of folks like that scope.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I would go with iron sights.  Especially for kids learning to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I have on my son's PSA AR-15 carbine a BSA Deerhunter 2.5x20mm fixed 2.5 power scope mounted on a Chinese PEPR type mount/ring.
The scope is a simple shotgun scope with 4" eye relief and is very sharp...for the price.  I had it sighted in at 75 yards couple months ago and it's held it's zero despite the abuse a 12 y/o can give it.
This is the scope and I paid about $30 shipped off EBay

https://www.amazon.com/BSA-Hunter-2-5x20-Rifle-DH25X20/dp/B000W34M5E

This is the mount I used. Make sure to use blue threadlocker on the mounting screw so it doesn't back out.
There is a seller on EBay that sells it for under $20.

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Blob-Outdoors-Cantilever-Picatiiny/dp/B014BSWZ2C

I liked it enough to consider getting another set for my "plinking" AR Carbine.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Received my Bushnell Trophy Bone collector edition scopes, nice clear glass and good focus through the entire zoom range.  My mount I ordered didn't come in so I grabbed a Weaver mount (at the local Wal Mart 30 bucks) that is identical to the above pictured PA mount.  Quite impressed with that mount, grabs the scope nice, the inserts aren't plastic, they are aluminum.  I'll get a chance to sight it in tomorrow evening and post back how goes it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Edit:  I see you got a one piece cantilever wile I was composing this reply.  Problem solved.  Below is what I posted before noting your change in mount.  Perhaps it may offer some insight for others:

I have no quibble with OP's choices for a basic beginner rifle for youth.

I do have a question about those Weaver Quad Rings.  I have quite a few rifles and have never used them.  From Weaver's web site, it appears that they are intended to mount on either Weaver slot or Picatinny rail slots.  The number of slots on an AR15 upper are very limited as the upper receiver is so short.

Don't you think you need some sort of extended riser under those rings in order to get a place to attach the front ring?  Most of the time with AR15s when you get eye relief right, the scope turret will be so far forward that the front ring would be suspended in the air with nothing to attach it to.

There seem to be three options:

1.  An extended riser to go between the upper receiver and the rings to give you more rail slots out forward of the upper and still have everything firmly attached to the upper only.

2.  A cantilever mount, either one piece, or, if on a budget, Nikon's P-mount system which is two pieces but will still fit on the upper receiver.

3.  Bridge the front ring out onto a hand guard that has rail slots.  I think this is a poor choice because bridging puts the scope and mounts under the fulcrum point of the hand guard.  Pressure on the rail will influence point of impact, negating the effect of freefloating the rail and possible putting enough stress on the scope and mounts to cause damage.

I'm just curious about how you intend to mount the scope with those Weaver Quad Rings.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top