BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/4/2016 10:31:46 AM EDT
They now have TWO 1x8 Scopes. The 1400 dollar and the 400 dollars. Anyone mess with the 400 dollar yet?
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#1]
No, but I'm so ready to buy one now. But I'm hesitant as once I mount it, I can't return it.

I absolutely love my 1-6x by Primary Arms. It's dead accurate, clicks are true. Magnification at 1x is great. I have no problem using this scope to 300 yards (furthest my range goes out to) whether I'm standing, sitting or prone. I'd love to shoot this thing past 300.

2x more zoom
3 year warranty
They changed the dot to a chevron (good or bad, I don't know, What is everyone's opinion on this?)
1.4 oz lighter
1" loss of eye relief (that's not cool) 3.3-3.5, the 6x is 4-4.5
They changed the scope covers, they look better
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I want to try one, seems like it will be an excellent budget option.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 8:46:26 PM EDT
[#3]
My dad will be buying my leupy 1-4 soon, noticed they had the 1-8 for the low low, probably going to pick it up and check it out. Not sure when it will be though.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the 1x6 300 blackout/7.62x39 with the chevron reticle and love it but I also have an acog ta31f with a chevron so I may be a bit bias. the 1x8 sounds intresting.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the 1x6 300 blackout/7.62x39 with the chevron reticle and love it but I also have an acog ta31f with a chevron so I may be a bit bias. the 1x8 sounds intresting.
View Quote

How do you like your 1-6x compared to the ACOG?
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 18" build and this 1-8 sure is making me think hard about picking it up..
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 11:43:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd be interested in a Mil/Mil version.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 12:43:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I couldn't resist. I bought it tonight.
I'll let you guys know when I get it, mount it, and shoot it. I really do like my PA 1-6x. I've put thousands of rounds down range with it both at the range and in 3-gun. I hope the chevron, added 2x, and the glass meet my expectations.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 1:02:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd be interested in a Mil/Mil version.
View Quote

This, may try it out anyway to see how it compares to other high end scopes.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 1:16:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm waiting for it to get some reviews before I purchase. Probably going to end up with a 3-9 or 4-12 anyways just for the look.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a 18" build and this 1-8 sure is making me think hard about picking it up..
View Quote

I have the Platinum series 1-8X on my 18", 3-Gun stick and I love it.  I'll bet this would be a good choice on a fun gun.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm hoping the quality and toughness is as good as the 1-6x. I have that on my three gun with thousands of rounds down range and several three gun events with no issues. Fingers crossed!
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Some quick pics from my iPhone 5.  The reticle stands out better than the pics show.  The elevation adjustment is crisper than I thought it would be.

1x close up on hose and grass

Illumination setting 9 of 11.  I think it was a little brighter red than the pic shows.

Overall, I think it looks pretty good for the price.  I absolutely love the reticle. I might just have to save up for the platinum...or I wish Vortex would license it and make a 1-8 Razor
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Some quick pics from my iPhone 5.  The reticle stands out better than the pics show.  The elevation adjustment is crisper than I thought it would be.

http://i.imgur.com/GEAfp5y.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/omcAMzb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AvHOfX9.jpg

Illumination setting 9 of 11.  I think it was a little brighter red than the pic shows.
http://i.imgur.com/rVYklrq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OhzHsNL.jpg

Overall, I think it looks pretty good for the price.  I absolutely love the reticle. I might just have to save up for the platinum...or I wish Vortex would license it and make a 1-8 Razor
View Quote

From your pics I really like it, reticle is slightly busy for me but I can live with it. I have a perfect home for one right now,
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is there any way you can the weight of the scope without a mount on it. Is says 16 oz on their site is just like to confirm that. It doesn't sound too bad, I may have to go by Primary Arms and look through one.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:15:35 AM EDT
[#16]
^ sure.

My electronic kitchen scale says it is 17.3 ounces.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:26:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

From your pics I really like it, reticle is slightly busy for me but I can live with it. I have a perfect home for one right now,
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Maybe the strike eagle's reticle would work better for you.  I wonder if they are working on a 1-8
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
^ sure.

May electronic kitchen scale says it is 17.3 ounces.
View Quote

That's good for a 1-8. If their platinum weighed that I would have got one already. 1x scopes that weigh much over 16 oz are way to heavy for my liking.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I own both PA scopes,1-6x & 1-8x, both are SFP.
1-8x as compared to the 1-6x

Has better light gathering
It's a little bit fuzzier towards the edges of the scope (I would have thought better or the same, I'll compare this again)
Some fish eye present, same as the 6x. Hardly noticeable unless you are purposely looking forward. In fact, I never noticed it on my 1-6x until someone pointed it out.
From 1-5x, the glass is clear and in focus. 6 starts the blur, but is still good. 7-8x iw definitely not clear, but most certainly usable.
The field of view is a tad bit less at 1x (I'm not sure why?)
Your eye position at 1x is definitely better. You have more to work with as far as not placing your eye at the exact spot all the time
Your eye position at 6x is about the same, you might have a bit more
Your eye position at 8x has by far the least amount of error in getting back on sight
The extra 2x is nice
I like the chevron
The reticle is less busy (they removed 300 range est & only labeled every other hash mark on the info to the right)
The horseshoe is further away from the chevron (which I prefer)
The overall reticle etching is bigger? (I personally liked the small finer look of the 1-6x. I wonder why they did this? That's what turned me away from the vortex strike eagle. I didn't like the larger etching of the reticle system.)
The etching of the reticle and the bdc and range estimate is sharp and clear.
The chevron and horseshoe illuminate only (very slight illumination of the other stuff at 11 power instead of everything.)
Scope is .5 inches shorter
The scope adjustments are .75 inches back further towards the eye piece
The windage and elevation adjustments are just like the other one. Crisp, true to .5 moa hold with no issues. The caps screw on nicely too
It weights 18 oz. With scope covers onaccording to my Salter kitchen scale
The scope covers are definitely better

Thanks for the posted pics for all to see from the other member.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Ok guys...

I own both PA scopes, the 1-6x & the 1-8x.

My thoughts...

1-8x as compared to the 1-6x

Has way better light gathering

A little fuzzier towards the edges of the scope

The field of view is a tad bit less at 1x (i'm not sure why?)

The extra 2x I'd definitely nice!

I like the chevron! I think? (I'll let you know if I mount it and shoot it.)

The reticle is less busy (they removed 300 range estimate and only labeled every other hash mark on the info to the right)

The horseshoe is further away from the chevron (which I prefer)

The overall reticle etching is bigger? (I personally liked the small finer look of the 1-6x. I wonder why they did this? That's what turned me away from the vortex strike eagle. I didn't like the larger etching of the reticle system.)

The chevron and horseshoe illuminate only (very slight illumination of the other stuff at 11 power instead of everything.)

Scope is .5 inches shorter

The scope adjustments are .75 inches back further towards the eye piece

It weights 18 oz. according to my Salter kitchen scale

The scope covers are definitely better

Thanks for the posted pics for all to see from the other member.
View Quote
thanks for the info , how's the eye box compare between the 2

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It weights 18 oz. according to my Salter kitchen scale
View Quote

Was that weight with or without the scope covers?  Mine above was without.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the comparison, is the chevron and horseshoe daylight bright?
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes, the illumination is easy to see at the peak of the day from what I've seen. If that's what your asking?
Weight is with scope covers, I honestly saw no reason to weight the scope without them?

I've answered the questions above in my original post. Look back to it. I think I answered the eye box question right.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 8:20:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I will probably go ahead and pick one of these up for my 11" 6.8 spc build I'm working on, I was thinking Leupold vx6 1-6 with cmr2 reticle but I'll probably get that for my 10.3" mk18ish build.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They now have TWO 1x8 Scopes. The 1400 dollar and the 400 dollars. Anyone mess with the 400 dollar yet?
View Quote

What is the difference between the $1400 and $400 one?
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Maybe the strike eagle's reticle would work better for you.  I wonder if they are working on a 1-8
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

My 3 gun rifle has a Razor on it. For 3 gun I really like the JM reticle. But the P. A. 1-8 would be perfect for my DMR.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My 3 gun rifle has a Razor on it. For 3 gun I really like the JM reticle. But the P. A. 1-8 would be perfect for my DMR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

The only reason I haven't bought a Razor is the weight. I can't see myself buying a 1.5 lb scope unless it's a long range bench rest gun. In that case I'd be looking at a lot higher magnification.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The only reason I haven't bought a Razor is the weight. I can't see myself buying a 1.5 lb scope unless it's a long range bench rest gun. In that case I'd be looking at a lot higher magnification.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

I don't even notice the weight, mostly because it is balanced real well. I shoot my 3 gun rifle off hand quite a bit, it's more about balance than overall weight.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 2:16:09 AM EDT
[#29]
I picked up one of the 1-8x SFP blems from PA's Amazon shop at $299 - Advertised as may have dust like specs in glass near edge and marks on finish.  Mine appeared clean on the finish and so far no dust specs than I have found, although there is a small dark spot in the horseshoe when illuminated.  Not too worried about it i rarely use illumination anyway so figure I got a nice deal...

apologies for grainy cell phone pic...

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 6:20:15 AM EDT
[#30]
I believe the $1400 version is FFP and the $400 version is SFP.

Edit: I've been considering picking up one of the $400 verisons myself. Is it really that big of a deal that when you zoom in, the reticle stays the same size?
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Edit: I've been considering picking up one of the $400 verisons myself. Is it really that big of a deal that when you zoom in, the reticle stays the same size?
View Quote

Not at all.  You're basically going to be running this at 1X or 8X 90% of the time.

The only time I'll run mine at 2-3X is making precise shots on obstructed targets in a match at 25-50 meters, or working the plate rack at 100-150 meters.  At those ranges you're using the center dot anyways and the reticle doesn't come into play.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#32]
For the most part this is true. 1x up close, 6 or 8x down range. 30 - 50 yards or a bit further may warrant 3 - 4x. But it's all personal preference.
Remember, the bdc will not be correct, unless you are on the highest power of a SFP scope.
Strelok Pro is a sweet app for all of this ballistic stuff in combination with your scope.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 1:31:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I just came back from the range. I didn't mount the new scope, but I will be. :-)
I compared  scopes at 25, 50, 100, 200, 300 yard targets. It was a nice sunny day out today.
The glass is about the same.
The added 2x is a plus for sure.
All of my posts information stands from before. (Changes have been made to it)
I definitely like the chevron. I think it will deliver better precision shots.
I will be keeping the new scope.
I will post more information after I use the scope out on the range.
Btw... I've put thousands of rounds down range with my PA 1-6x. I really like it, I'm going to miss her.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've been considering picking up one of the $400 verisons myself.
View Quote

Just ordered one.  It should be in mid-next week, and I hope to use it next weekend at a 3 gun match.

Fingers crossed...
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#35]
First trip to the range was today. I put about 2 clips through the scope. Zeroed in about 10 rounds or so. Held tight, no issues. I definitely like the chevron, no doubt there. I don't know that the glass is clearer. I think it might not be. But maybe it was the heat dissipating off the ground? I shot at 25 out to 300, benched and off hand. I like the scope, but we'll see about a few more range trips.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Another range trip. Same today, but bench shooting. I'm going to compare the glass up against a bsa, Bushnell and weaver. I like the scope, but 8x clarity??? I don't know yet. However, I guess it is a great scope for the features and price tag. I wonder how long until vortex releases an affordable 1-8x?
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:05:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Another range trip. Same today, but bench shooting. I'm going to compare the glass up against a bsa, Bushnell and weaver. I like the scope, but 8x clarity??? I don't know yet. However, I guess it is a great scope for the features and price tag. I wonder how long until vortex releases an affordable 1-8x?
View Quote

If you got the $400 model one, that's it. If you've got the platinum series, check out the $400 one.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Okay, mounted the scope and took it to the range to zero.  Hardly the definitive torture test, but I got a pretty good idea about its capabilities.

First, the bottom line.  Does it compare favorably to a Swarovski or Zeiss?  Of course not, it's nowhere near their price point.  How is is as a $379 scope?  Damned good, actually.  From that perspective I see no glaring flaws.

Some main points about it:
 - the exit pupil size is very small at the maximum magnification.  You have to really concentrate to keep your eye in the center of the scope.  Personally, I would limit its use to no more that 5x or 6x, where there was a more forgiving exit pupil.
 - having said that, I didn't find any issue with glass clarity at 8x.  No, it's not a Zeiss, but it's still reasonably clear in the center.  Can't really comment much about the glass edge because I needed to keep my eye centered.
 - the illumination is daylight visible, but not "bright."  You won't see the illumination wash out in full sun, but it's not as bright as other scopes.  Basically, usable but not impressive.
 - the ACSS reticle looked clear and sharp.  No issues using it at any magnification.
 - at 1x the reticle with illumination would work well for CQB.  The circle lets you pick up the point of aim easily.
 - at 1x the glass seems reasonably clear.  Didn't see any noticeable distortion or minor magnification at 1x.  It looks close enough to 1x to call it 1x.
 - the elevation and windage adjustments had noticeable clicks, and weren't mushy.  Once set, the zero held (on a .223).

For $379, hard to go wrong.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#39]
This will probably be my next scope for my 6.8 SPC.

I'll be selling some Leupold VX-II and VX-I scopes to get it.

Primary Arms had blems on Ebay for $300.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 2:04:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

That fence could really use a wash and some stain.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I've been to the range three times with the new scope. About 200 rounds through it, standing, seated, bipod, for time, for accuracy. It's a good scope, I like it. 1-6x is great. 7-8x is not in focus. I've shot from 5 to 300 yards with it. The smallest target hit at 300 was a 6" plate and that was using the 8x.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:08:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Someone on the other forum, m4carbine says their optic is clear and in focus all the way to 8x. Mine is not! Did I get a defective scope? Anyone with this optic, please chime in. Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Someone on the other forum, m4carbine says their optic is clear and in focus all the way to 8x. Mine is not! Did I get a defective scope? Anyone with this optic, please chime in. Thank you!
View Quote

My lower cost one is very crisp at all magnifications.  I haven't shot with it yet, but I am very pleased with the clarity.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:42:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I believe the price difference has more to do with Japan vs China than FFP vs SFP.  I still really don't want to trust Chinese optics even though PA seems to be doing a pretty good job with them.  Much rather buy a Philippine scope like Burris than have anything to do with supporting Chinese manufacturing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine was reasonably clear out to 8x.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:55:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Lol. I learned his scope was the platinum one! I'd say mine is reasonably, but I wish it was a bit more clear. Somewhat disappointing, but I'll live with it. I guess what do you expect for $400.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you focus the ocular adjustment correctly?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know.  But it is really hard to accomplish at a $400 price point.  An even greater challenge, which puts me off on all 1-8x scopes, even the high priced ones, is the underlying premise that at 8x keeping the 24mm objective is somehow a good idea.   Not only does the eye box get really tight with only a 3mm exit pupil, but the image will start dimming out in low light once you get past 6x. That exit pupil simply cannot transmit the available light to your entire retina.

It seems to me that we (at least I) should probably wait until the market figures out that a 24mm objective lens is too small at 8x and a new line of 1-8x scopes emerges with more appropriately sized objectives, perhaps something of around 36mm.   I have a 2-7x Kahles scope with a 36mm objective lens that is breathtakingly bright in low light.   You can't defy the basic laws of optics.  You need to have a larger exit pupil than a 24mm objective can give you when you go above 5 or 6x power.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I don't know.  But it is really hard to accomplish at a $400 price point.  An even greater challenge, which puts me off on all 1-8x scopes, even the high priced ones, is the underlying premise that at 8x keeping the 24mm objective is somehow a good idea.   Not only does the eye box get really tight with only a 3mm exit pupil, but the image will start dimming out in low light once you get past 6x. That exit pupil simply cannot transmit the available light to your entire retina.

It seems to me that we (at least I) should probably wait until the market figures out that a 24mm objective lens is too small at 8x and a new line of 1-8x scopes emerges with more appropriately sized objectives, perhaps something of around 36mm.   I have a 2-7x Kahles scope with a 36mm objective lens that is breathtakingly bright in low light.   You can't defy the basic laws of optics.  You need to have a larger exit pupil than a 24mm objective can give you when you go above 5 or 6x power.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a couple of 1.5-6x42 scopes.  At 6x, let's just say I find the exit pupil "acceptable."
Makes a big difference when you're on the clock trying to hit targets out past 300 yards.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:11:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Yes, I did focus the ocular lenses piece correctly, but I'll check again.

I do have the lower priced one under $400.

I'm hearing different things about clarity with this optic? Overall, it's good I guess. I like my 6x? I might be over thinking it all.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top