Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2016 12:20:32 PM EDT
Tried a cheap dot on my new AR today thinking that I would eventually get an upper tier dot to replace it with, but now I am not sure I want a dot.
No magnification, and covers up too much to shoot decent groups for me.
So, what has the tactical looks to match the AR, not super expensive, and not battery dependent ?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of shooting do you do?  And at what range?

Also, what is your budget?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Tried a cheap dot on my new AR today thinking that I would eventually get an upper tier dot to replace it with, but now I am not sure I want a dot.
No magnification, and covers up too much to shoot decent groups for me.
So, what has the tactical looks to match the AR, not super expensive, and not battery dependent ?
View Quote

If you are serious get an Aimpoint Pro
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What kind of shooting do you do?  And at what range?

Also, what is your budget?
View Quote

As of now, I can only do bench shooting up to about 200 yards, and some plinking.
Nothing serious.
One thing I do NOT want on my rifle is a "hunt'n" scope.
Nothing I hate more than an AR with a Walmart Nikon on it.
I'm figuring a budget of $500 or so.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#4]
For one thing a RDS is NOT for shooting groups. Its a fast point-n-shoot optic.

I don't know your budget is  but you get what you pay for in optics.

Look at the Vortex Strike Eagle. It's 1-6x24 that is high on quality yet on the low end price wise for that quality. (cheaper than the Aimpoint PRO)

And it has a no hoops to jump through, fully transferable, lifetime warranty.
EDIT: You must have been answering as I was typing. With your budget the Strike Eagle is perfect. You can even get a quality LaRue LT-104 mount ans still be at your price point. This setup can easily take you out to 500 yds. (I do 600 with a 4x)

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I went out and bought a Vortex Spitfire 3X prism scope for my S&W MP15 for right around $325, this was the first time I paid for a bit of quality on a scope, for a long time I went with what ever cheap china stuff looked like a good deal.  Let me tell you the quality was worth it. With the life time warranty I figure that the scope alone would cover the use of 4 or 5 cheap one. Lesson Learned.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:30:23 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want to be a bit more precise in shot placemnt, one well-regarded magnified optic here is the Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10x40mm from MidwayUSA.  They often go on sale for $300.

MRAD turrets, .1 mil per click, true tracking, matching mil dot reticle.  True Japanese glass and construction.  Amazing value.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:04:16 AM EDT
[#7]
The Leupold VXR is a good scope.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Leupold VXR is a good scope.
View Quote

Indeed, my personal preference is the 3-9x40mm Patrol version.  It is more expensive than the Weaver GST I recommended above, and will run $550-$600 but well worth the extra for the motion activated FireDot illumination alone.  It can be made full noontime sunlight bright and because it is motion activated battery life is Aimpoint like.  I'm over 3 years on the original battery.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:04:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Lots of great options out there right now.  PA 1-6 & 1-8, Vortex strike eagle 1-6 & PST 1-4, Burris MTAC, Steiner Combat scope 3x, Steiner PX4i.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Steiner Combat scope 3x or the PX4i for a 14.5" Govt. profile barreled upper.  Just can't seem to make up my mind at the moment.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:09:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Vortex Viper PST 1-4
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lots of great options out there right now.  PA 1-6 & 1-8, Vortex strike eagle 1-6 & PST 1-4, Burris MTAC, Steiner Combat scope 3x, Steiner PX4i.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Steiner Combat scope 3x or the PX4i for a 14.5" Govt. profile barreled upper.  Just can't seem to make up my mind at the moment.
View Quote

When I get some more funds available I believe I will be getting one of the P4xi for another carbine I have.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been very happy with the Holosun sights on my AR's, specifically the HS515C model.  I like the auto
brightness, lens covers, kill-flash, quick detach mount features.  The "circle-dot" reticle is similar to the
Eotech 512/552 reticle, only it's sharp, not pixelated.  And I leave it on and forget about it.  Very long
battery life.

Also I have a Bushnell AR Optics 1-4x PCL mounted with the Burris PEPR 30 mm quick detach mount.  In the
1x setting it can be used like a red dot.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top