Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2016 8:47:03 PM EDT
Ive been looking around for options for a md-ads riser.  I'm pretty sure I need to go up about 1", but havent really seen a mount that catches my eye.  All the threads I see are people discussing cowitness.  Im not running any irons... just want a mount that will put the dot at the right height, not have ridiculous screws or QD lugs hanging off the side, and not neccessarily make the thing look like a lego block stuck on top of my A4 upper :p

Also, how far back from the charging handle are you guys mounting these?  Seems most pick somewhere in the middle of the reciever.  Didnt know if it made sense to have it closet or further

thx!
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:48:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ive been looking around for options for a md-ads riser.  I'm pretty sure I need to go up about 1", but havent really seen a mount that catches my eye.  All the threads I see are people discussing cowitness.  Im not running any irons... just want a mount that will put the dot at the right height, not have ridiculous screws or QD lugs hanging off the side, and not neccessarily make the thing look like a lego block stuck on top of my A4 upper :p

Also, how far back from the charging handle are you guys mounting these?  Seems most pick somewhere in the middle of the reciever.  Didnt know if it made sense to have it closet or further

thx!
View Quote

I use a mount that gives me absolute co-witness.  I have pop up sights though.  My fixed base primary arms and my Holosun are both mounted on UTG medium height risers.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:04:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess thats whats frustrating... seems like everyone is trying to achieve cowitness with their buis and not neccessarily focus on getting a mount thats the right height for proper cheek weld.  Im only interested in cheek weld...
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I find absolute cowitness  gives me the best cheek weld.
Lower 1/3 puts the optic too high and I find myself lifting my head a bit.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess thats whats frustrating... seems like everyone is trying to achieve cowitness with their buis and not neccessarily focus on getting a mount thats the right height for proper cheek weld.  Im only interested in cheek weld...
View Quote

Well full co-witness gives me a good cheekweld so I don't see the problem, but everyone's cheekweld is different.  There's other lower mounts available if you don't care about iron sights.  

This is what I'm running on my Mossberg Patrol .308 with a Bushnell TRS-25.  This allows me to quickly swap to my magnified optic if I wanted.  If you want it to be lower you'd have to mount it straight to the rail.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#6]
IMHO, 1" would be way too low.  But I do have a buddy that mounted his scope on his flat top at about that height and he thinks it's great.  My cheek bones get in the way.  The stock iron height is like 1.5" and almost every other gun system is even higher than that.  Well, meaning if you take a traditionally stocked gun, it is lower on your face than an AR.

Primary Arms have a lot of the choices that you are seeking.  But maybe all are more of a traditional height than you are looking for.  There may be mounts out there that are made lower for different guns, but I'm not sure where to show you.  Maybe try midway USA.  It has the same mounting pattern as a T-1, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#7]
well I ordered a .75" picatinny riser, with slim bolts, no QD or huge screw nonsense.  I would rather be lower than higher! That, plus the red dot mount, the optic body, and the height to the center of the optic should get me close.  A 1" spacer is going to put the center of the optic probably close to 1.75"-2".  The T1 mounts will work, but it seems everyone wants to rape you on the cost.  Theres no way in hell im spending $80-120 on a stupid aimpoint mount!!  This is what I ordered.  I'll cut the mount down to size so it fits the optic perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/Lion-Gears-Tactical-Profile-BM0607EX/dp/B00M73CK24

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#8]
The AR design puts the optimal sight height at 1.5" above the top rail. This is the height of FSBs and removable/fixed carry handle sights. Just as Eugene designed for proper cheek weld. So... any mount that places the center of the optic 1.5" above the top rail is optimal for proper cheek weld with an AR.

Such 1.5" mounts are sold as Absolute co-witness mounts. So in short you want an Absolute co-witness mount or a riser that places the optics center line roughly 1.5" above the top rail.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:28:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Seekins is really nice. I'm using it on my Truglo Trutec (very similar to the PA Advanced Micro/Holosun)

ADM is good to go if you need a QD. I figure a red dot with BUIS doesn't really need quick disconnect. At least for my needs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#10]
the seekins looks nice but its $75 for a mount!!  thats crazy expensive!  I think the manufacturers figured if you're spending $700 on a red dot they can rape you on the mount
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#11]
so I got the riser today... I thought I had ordered a 3/4" riser but it was actually only a 1/2".  Turns out a 1/2' picatinny riser, plus the included PA aimpoint mount, with the optic is PERFECT height!  If I had 3/4" I would have to lift my cheek from a firm weld.  Its perfect!!  WOOHOO!  No BUIS.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is exactly the issue I'm trying to address with my .308 AR now.  This rifle has no BUIS to co-witness, but the Warne high rings I have on it now put the center line of the scope too low.  I used the same rings on my 700 5R, but either the stock comb was lower, or my cheeks have gotten fatter in the several years since I sold it.

I have to crank my neck over on the AR and its difficult to look through the scope for more than a minute or 2 and it plays hell with my groups because I can never seem to get the same weld twice.  Bringing the scope up another 1/4" (which happens to be the same height as absolute co-witness) looks like it'll be the ticket--new rings were ordered on Friday.  If it doesn't work out, I'll have some really solid rings to mount a couple of Aimpoints.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:32:25 PM EDT
[#14]
just got back from the range... gun ran great, accurate... had to crank in somethin crazy like 24 clicks up on the red dot to get it zerod but its shootin consistent.  Very happy with the mount and the optic!  Woohoo!
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The AR design puts the optimal sight height at 1.5" above the top rail. This is the height of FSBs and removable/fixed carry handle sights. Just as Eugene designed for proper cheek weld. So... any mount that places the center of the optic 1.5" above the top rail is optimal for proper cheek weld with an AR.

Such 1.5" mounts are sold as Absolute co-witness mounts. So in short you want an Absolute co-witness mount or a riser that places the optics center line roughly 1.5" above the top rail.  
View Quote

This.  If you seek proper cheek weld, then, absolute cowitness height is going to be pretty close, by intentional design.

A few people find that going a little lower than absolute gives them a good cheek weld.  There are mounts (but not simple risers) that produce this lower height.  One ecample is ADM's AD-170 VFG QD mount.  While designed for  vertical grips and other accessories, it will produce a typical cheek weld a little lower than absolute, more like 1.375" to the centerline of the optic, if I recall.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top