Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 25
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can anybody tell me how they feel about the PST Gen II vs the Steiner? Walked into my lgs the other day and they have the Vortex priced at $509 which is a huge discount. DSG has the Steiner at $463. So for my case price isn't much of a difference. It would ride mainly on my 10.3 with the possibility of a future grendel build. My range just added a 500 yard target but i doubt i will do any shooting out to that unless the grendel becomes a reality. So for the focus of right now my main shooting is 300 yards and in.
View Quote
What are you doing to pull it up for $463 on DSG? The standalone version (with adjustment whip) is listed for $579, and it doesn't discount loaded into the cart. Can't figure out what they're doing though, the same optic with whip and Burris PEPR mount is $525???
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

What are you doing to pull it up for $463 on DSG? The standalone version (with adjustment whip) is listed for $579, and it doesn't discount loaded into the cart. Can't figure out what they're doing though, the same optic with whip and Burris PEPR mount is $525???
View Quote
All I did was login. The one with the throw lever is $463.99.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

All I did was login. The one with the throw lever is $463.99.
View Quote
Got it, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I traded an accupower 1-4, green bdc, for a p4xi last week.

First impressions:

- Glass seems about the same, maybe slightly improved
- Much simpler reticle, akin to vortex JM-1
- Bright as fuck illumination
- Main crosshair lines in the reticle are a good bit thicker. One of the main selling points of the accupower was how crisp the lines were.
- The warranty makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
View Quote
I had the Accupower 2 years ago. I agree with this summary. The Accupower made due with CQB with the segmented circle but I definitely prefer a dot I can see all the time. 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Can anybody tell me how they feel about the PST Gen II vs the Steiner? Walked into my lgs the other day and they have the Vortex priced at $509 which is a huge discount. DSG has the Steiner at $463. So for my case price isn't much of a difference. It would ride mainly on my 10.3 with the possibility of a future grendel build. My range just added a 500 yard target but i doubt i will do any shooting out to that unless the grendel becomes a reality. So for the focus of right now my main shooting is 300 yards and in.
View Quote
That's a hell of a deal on the Vortex so I'd go that route for the added magnification and thinner crosshairs alone. It is almost 5.5oz heavier than the Steiner but when you're talking anything over 20oz with a mount anyways weight becomes less of a concern to me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity, are you able to re-zero the turrets on the P4Xi? I hope to get one soon, been waiting on sales and waiting for July4th sales was a bust for this optic.  The turrets do not seem like they should be loosened.
View Quote
I did on mine. Just remove the two screws on the top of the cap and pull it off. The dial with the marks just slips over the turret and is held in place with an o-ring and then the top cap wedges it in place. I don't know how secure it would be but since the turrets are capped it shouldn't be a big deal.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:48:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Having gotten used to the HUGE eyebox of the MTAC and Accupoint (and the fairly large one of the Accupower, which has an exit pupil of 15mm at 1X), is the paltry 12mm exit pupil of the P4Xi going to bother me?
I love the reticle, price, and warranty, but the exit-pupil seems a bit small for a 1-4X (but maybe I'm spoiled).
Any thoughts from people who've had MTACs/TAC30s/Accupoint/Accupowers?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Having gotten used to the HUGE eyebox of the MTAC and Accupoint (and the fairly large one of the Accupower, which has an exit pupil of 15mm at 1X), is the paltry 12mm exit pupil of the P4Xi going to bother me?
I love the reticle, price, and warranty, but the exit-pupil seems a bit small for a 1-4X (but maybe I'm spoiled).
View Quote
It doesn't bother me much. How well can you keep your head in the same spot?
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Finally got my P4xi from DSG. Iam very impressed with it so far.

Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Finally got my P4xi from DSG. Iam very impressed with it so far.

http://a67.tinypic.com/mt0d4y.jpg
View Quote
Looks great in the ADM mount.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I may have missed it but has anyone compared these to the old 1-4 military? I had one of those and traded it for a USO. I regret that trade and am now looking at these.

I know the turrets and reticle are different but am wondering if glass was the same.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I may have missed it but has anyone compared these to the old 1-4 military? I had one of those and traded it for a USO. I regret that trade and am now looking at these.

I know the turrets and reticle are different but am wondering if glass was the same.
View Quote
Never had the Military 1-4 but these have Schott made German glass. 
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I too used the ADM mount but it is heavy. I went to the Aero Ultralight since I am not pulling mine on and off very often, what a difference.

Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I too used the ADM mount but it is heavy. I went to the Aero Ultralight since I am not pulling mine on and off very often, what a difference.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2uoqq2e.jpg
View Quote
It is light weight but iam still not convinced it is a hard use mount.
https://youtu.be/1Qjn1Aq-l9g

Aero is 3.36oz to adm's 8.4oz ~ 5oz difference is it worth the durability? That is up to the user and the use of the weapon.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What scope caps are those?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What scope caps are those?
View Quote
Vortex
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It is light weight but iam still not convinced it is a hard use mount.
https://youtu.be/1Qjn1Aq-l9g

Aero is 3.36oz to adm's 8.4oz ~ 5oz difference is it worth the durability? That is up to the user and the use of the weapon.
View Quote
What did he torque the mount to? Yes, it is less bombproof than a $160-200 mount, but the scope I am using is only $460. If it was $1000, I would invest in a Geissele.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:57:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I know I'm going to catch flak for this, but I'm unimpressed with the Steiner's eyebox, to be honest.

Comparing it to the Accupower and Accupoint, there is noticeably more scope shadow.

Now, standing and stationary shooting? Not a problem to get a consistent cheek weld, and it's not noticeable.

But if you want forgiveness for awkward shooting positions: shooting around barricades, shooting on the move, weak side, junkyard prone, etc? I've found myself wasting time to get an adequate sight picture, and I'm not someone coming from a red dot to my first LPVO.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but this scope isn't turning out to be a do-everything optic for me insofar.

If someone has any tips, I'm all ears, though.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:09:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I know I'm going to catch flak for this, but I'm unimpressed with the Steiner's eyebox, to be honest.

Comparing it to the Accupower and Accupoint, there is noticeably more scope shadow.

Now, standing and stationary shooting? Not a problem to get a consistent cheek weld, and it's not noticeable.

But if you want forgiveness for awkward shooting positions: shooting around barricades, shooting on the move, weak side, junkyard prone, etc? I've found myself wasting time to get an adequate sight picture, and I'm not someone coming from a red dot to my first LPVO.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but this scope isn't turning out to be a do-everything optic for me insofar.

View Quote
Damn, I figured myself to be the only person on here who thought that. I loved the Steiner at 1x; hated it at 4x. I ended up selling it and switching back to an ACOG.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#20]
The Steiner is a great scope in its price range. End all scope, no, but a good value.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would have to agree.  I went with the steiner though because it was more in my budget.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 1:12:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I ordered a Steiner, but I'm worried about the eye-box.
Eye-box on MTACs is HUGE. Same with the accupower/point.
I'm really hoping I can deal with this since I like the reticle better than the others.
--
I asked about the eye-box earlier....wish I'd seen these posts before then.
It'll spend most time at 1X anyway, so hopefully that's pretty forgiving.
I wonder how it compares to the US Optics SR4C from 2-3 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Loving the Steiner I moved it to my mk12 MOD1 shorty
Crappy 1x pic.

Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:15:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Is the glass better on the Steiner than Burris?  I'm really wanting one of these scopes but am concerned about the glass quality.  I sent them an e-mail but never received a response back.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Is the glass better on the Steiner than Burris?  I'm really wanting one of these scopes but am concerned about the glass quality.  I sent them an e-mail but never received a response back.
View Quote
Which Burris optic do you refer to? They make $100 scopes all the way up to $1400 and higher scopes. 
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Got my Px4i tonight - Impressive for the money for sure!

The low end Mag is for sure not true 1x - maybe 1.2x or so.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
How hard was it to get the scope centered in the rings?  I like the mount but was told its a bitch to center when your tightening everything up.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Got my Px4i tonight - Impressive for the money for sure!

The low end Mag is for sure not true 1x - maybe 1.2x or so.
View Quote
Where did you get yours and how much?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

How hard was it to get the scope centered in the rings?  I like the mount but was told its a bitch to center when your tightening everything up.
View Quote
 I read the same thing before I purchased mine awhile ago.

I got it on the 2nd try on my SE, first attempt on the Steiner. It's not that difficult.

I don't have any real fancy leveling tools I just drop it on my vise and torque it down. I do use those little cheap bubble levels. 

It didn't rotate at all with the Steiner. 
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:57:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Placed an order through www.steiner-scopes.com for a P4Xi @ $459 shipped w/ throw lever. Decided to also order a ADM Recon mount, Vortex caps, and some Magpul MBUS Pro Offset sights to go with it.

The scope will be replacing a Eotech XPS2-0 on my all purpose AR-15. I love the holo reticle but not the battery life so I might as well dip my toes in the variable power scope pond and see how it feels.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#31]
When the promotion states purchases made valued at $250 or more, does that mean MSRP or actual purchase price?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#32]
I can't wait until mine arrives.  It's gonna look awesome on my Aero build.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Took the Colt Trooper out Saturday to verify zero on my P4Xi. This is only at 50yds because that is all my property will allow. I shot 10 shots off of a foam rest and with my old eyes this is good for me, I had a couple of flyers and felt them when I shot. I wish that Steiner made a P6Xi with this fantastic reticle, it has become my favorite reticle, not too busy, but very usable.

Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Took the Colt Trooper out Saturday to verify zero on my P4Xi. This is only at 50yds because that is all my property will allow. I shot 10 shots off of a foam rest and with my old eyes this is good for me, I had a couple of flyers and felt them when I shot. I wish that Steiner made a P6Xi with this fantastic reticle, it has become my favorite reticle, not too busy, but very usable.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2v321lk.jpg
View Quote
I agree with what you say about the P6Xi and the reticle. The eyebox could use a little improvement IMO however but for the price point having that one compromise seems fair. 
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Placed an order through www.steiner-scopes.com for a P4Xi @ $459 shipped w/ throw lever. Decided to also order a ADM Recon mount, Vortex caps, and some Magpul MBUS Pro Offset sights to go with it.

The scope will be replacing a Eotech XPS2-0 on my all purpose AR-15. I love the holo reticle but not the battery life so I might as well dip my toes in the variable power scope pond and see how it feels.
View Quote
Thanks for posting this information.  You saved me some cash for ammo.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I just went to order one from there and the price is now $479
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I went back and checked my order invoice just to make sure I didn't goof and it says $459. Weird that the price jumped $20 in less than a week (ordered 10/5).
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
And it is still a hell of a deal at that price.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Was going to order this with the ADM Recon mount until I found an Eotech 512 for $194. Still, I think this is my next variable.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 10/14/2017 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#41]
That is a sharp looking setup right there. It's funny to see a scope mount cost only about $150 less than the scope that sits in it. 

ETA: Handguard looks like an ALG?
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:08:49 AM EDT
[#42]
The promo mount is worth the extra ~$50? I spent.  The level is a little overkill for a 4x, but, it's solid.

The combo BARELY clears the PTR91A3 rear sight.  The Spuhr adapter is going on and the rear sight off.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Got the Vortex caps and Magpul Pro offsets installed a few days ago. It feels like a pretty slick setup but I need to hit the range sometime soon to confirm.

Link Posted: 10/16/2017 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Can someone post about lens caps for this Steiner scope ?
Make,
Model number,
Price,
Where to buy.
Thanks in advance .
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:09:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Can someone post about lens caps for this Steiner scope ?
Make,
Model number,
Price,
Where to buy.
Thanks in advance .
View Quote
Vortex Defender Flip Cap Ocular (40-46mm)
Vortex Defender Flip Cap Objective (28-31mm)

$19 for each cap or $38 for Objective and Ocular caps. Both caps fit well but there are some minor issues. The Ocular cap is really snug and you will lose your ability to easily adjust the focus ring. The Objective cap fits looser than the Ocular but still snug enough for me, however, depending on how your scope is situated you might have to either adjust the scope in the mount or trim the rubber gasket on the cap. You can look at my pic in the post above to see how much room the cap sleeve takes up.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Specs on the upper?  I like it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

$19 for each cap or $38 for Objective and Ocular caps. Both caps fit well but there are some minor issues. The Ocular cap is really snug and you will lose your ability to easily adjust the focus ring. The Objective cap fits looser than the Ocular but still snug enough for me, however, depending on how your scope is situated you might have to either adjust the scope in the mount or trim the rubber gasket on the cap. You can look at my pic in the post above to see how much room the cap sleeve takes up.
View Quote
Thanks for the info . What about Butler Creek ?
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m interested in caps other than the Vortex defenders.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:02:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found this in an archived thread regarding caps

Just to save some folks some time looking up which butler creek flip up caps to use:

Eye Piece: 18EYE 1.700" 43.2mm

Objective: 02A OBJ 1.181" 30.0mm

Both fit nice and snug and the eyepiece cap seems deep enough to help lock in the focus ring.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks Space !
Page / 25
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top