Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 25
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 3:38:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I do which is why I'm getting a PST Gen ll 1-6x.

That being said in Tomac's defence I go through optics like underwear trying them and selling them if i'm not completely satisfied or just can't get used to them..

Lots of members surf the EE seeing practically new optics that are only a few weeks or a few months old and must wonder why they are being sold, I know I do, but I believe a lot of people here do the same thing, buy it try it and if you don't like it put it up on the EE and try something else.

Sometimes I have bought something off the EE because I've gotten a good deal, pulled it out of the box and decided it wasn't for me and put it right back up for sale again and tried something else.

Also a lot of vendors have a great return policy and as long as you don't mount it and use it you can sometimes send it back for a full refund if it's not for you.

Of course I don't know if this is a good thing or not because back in the day before anything like this ever came about you bought optics and you just kept them, and learn to live with it.

This site, and the EE can be a bad influence on me and my wallet sometimes. I know I never did anything like this before I joined this site, buying trying and selling optics and gear like it was underwear
View Quote
Lol I get this. My red dot rifle was a Block 1 clone then I ditched the 
Aimpoint and KAC rail awhile back then sold them to go for an irons only HD  gun. I just bought another Comp M2 last weekand saw a RAS for a decent price  and it will be here his Thursday  guess it'll be a Block 1 clone again. 
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 6:32:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You don't think the benefit of higher mag on the top end overcomes the weight issue? 
View Quote

If you need higher magnification, then definitely yes. However, nearly all my shooting is 100yds or less, I tried the Steiner primarily as a fix for my mild astigmatism.

Tomac
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought the Px4i last night from DSG. After my last trip to the range I decided I needed a little magnification for my 10.5" MK18. Dsg had the scope, throw lever and ADM mount for $599. Couldn't pass that deal up
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That being said in Tomac's defence I go through optics like underwear trying them and selling them if i'm not completely satisfied or just can't get used to them..

Lots of members surf the EE seeing practically new optics that are only a few weeks or a few months old and must wonder why they are being sold, I know I do, but I believe a lot of people here do the same thing, buy it try it and if you don't like it put it up on the EE and try something else.

Sometimes I have bought something off the EE because I've gotten a good deal, pulled it out of the box and decided it wasn't for me and put it right back up for sale again and tried something else.

Also a lot of vendors have a great return policy and as long as you don't mount it and use it you can sometimes send it back for a full refund if it's not for you.

Of course I don't know if this is a good thing or not because back in the day before anything like this ever came about you bought optics and you just kept them, and learn to live with it.

This site, and the EE can be a bad influence on me and my wallet sometimes. I know I never did anything like this before I joined this site, buying trying and selling optics and gear like it was underwear
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't think the benefit of higher mag on the top end overcomes the weight issue? 

I'm with you. Reason I have the Burris due to a very good deal on the EE. If I fall out of love for it...
I will get something else.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bought the Px4i last night from DSG. After my last trip to the range I decided I needed a little magnification for my 10.5" MK18. Dsg had the scope, throw lever and ADM mount for $599. Couldn't pass that deal up
View Quote

I took advantage of the same deal.  Hopefully you like the package as much as I do.......I'm the opposite of Tomac and thinking about selling my T2 on my second AR for another LPV due to their versatility.  I find the P4Xi to be just as fast on 1x for me as my T2 (as long as I get a decent cheek weld).
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lol I get this. My red dot rifle was a Block 1 clone then I ditched the 
Aimpoint and KAC rail awhile back then sold them to go for an irons only HD  gun. I just bought another Comp M2 last weekand saw a RAS for a decent price  and it will be here his Thursday  guess it'll be a Block 1 clone again. 
View Quote

LOL!

I can't count how many times I have started out with something ,sold it and ended up coming back around full circle to buy it again because I realize that that was what I really wanted/needed in the first place
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you need higher magnification, then definitely yes. However, nearly all my shooting is 100yds or less, I tried the Steiner primarily as a fix for my mild astigmatism.

Tomac
View Quote

Astigmatism here myself.

While still decent,  red dot sights aren't that crisp for me anymore and I now just use them as a piggyback back up optic on a Larue LT137.

Still usable up close for me but because of my astigmatism is too large at distance.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm with you. Reason I have the Burris due to a very good deal on the EE. If I fall out of love for it...
I will get something else.
View Quote

I just back ordered 2 PST gen 2 Vortex 1-6x24 and a 2-10x32 to try out as they sound like the glass and durability has definitely been upgraded from the original gen 1's.

If I end up not liking them, or their simply just not for me there will be a smoking deal for them on the EE,  and if I don't end up mounting them they will be on their way back to OP  for a full refund.

I think the problem sometimes is that there are so many different optics with different options out there nowadays that we tend to get bored with the one we have and take advantage of this new social media technology sell it,, and then try something else.

I keep telling myself every time I try another optic that "this is going to be the one I keep forever" A close friend that I shoot with every time I show up to the range with a new optic and say that always laughs at me and says "let me know first before you sell it"

I guess that's the beauty of having a hobby.

What makes me feel a little better is I have friends who are really into golfing who have a cellar full of all kinds of different clubs that they thought they could use.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:24:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I just back ordered 2 PST gen 2 Vortex 1-6x24 and a 2-10x32 to try out as they sound like the glass and durability has definitely been upgraded from the original gen 1's.

If I end up not liking them, or their simply just not for me there will be a smoking deal for them on the EE,  and if I don't end up mounting them they will be on their way back to OP  for a full refund.

I think the problem sometimes is that there are so many different optics with different options out there nowadays that we tend to get bored with the one we have and take advantage of this new social media technology sell it,, and then try something else.

I keep telling myself every time I try another optic that "this is going to be the one I keep forever" A close friend that I shoot with every time I show up to the range with a new optic and say that always laughs at me and says "let me know first before you sell it"

I guess that's the beauty of having a hobby.

What makes me feel a little better is I have friends who are really into golfing who have a cellar full of all kinds of different clubs that they thought they could use.
View Quote

Would love to hear your thoughts on the gen 2 PST when you get it!
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:00:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Would love to hear your thoughts on the gen 2 PST when you get it!
View Quote

I will defenately post somethihng up when I get them.

There should be some members getting them sooner than I who ordered long before I did. I got an email from OP saying the one of or both of them are due in a couple of weeks. Not holding my breath though.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Picked up one of these from Botach with lever. Great deal. Scope is not perfect. It's fuzzy a bit at edges, etc.

But for the money its great. I replaced a Strike Eagle which I didn't really like. Hated the clunky reticle. Just a clunky feeling scope to me. This one is more compact and perfect for the LW 18" rifle I stuck it on. Don't miss the extra 2x at all. Really satisfied so far. It's been through two matches now, where it performed well. If I were doing more 3gun with longer stages I'd likely move up to a 1x6 in the 1000$ range. VX-6 multigun probably. But as a hobbyist this scope is tits.

I really love it. Sorry, the pic isn't the greatest.

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Got mine mounted up on my sbr.  So far I'm impressed and seems to be just what I needed

Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#13]
FWIW: Botach is selling the 5202 (included throw level) for $485 shipped

Looked at one yesterday and the reticle is very daylight bright and glass is very clear.  Knobs are mushy but for your AR... you're more than likely just going to zero it once and be done with it.  

I can't believe the insane value @ $485.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
FWIW: Botach is selling the 5202 (included throw level) for $485 shipped

Looked at one yesterday and the reticle is very daylight bright and glass is very clear.  Knobs are mushy but for your AR... you're more than likely just going to zero it once and be done with it.  

I can't believe the insane value @ $485.
View Quote

It was $459 a week ago at Botach.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#15]
DSG Arms has the 5202 for $453.00 if you qualify for the LE/Mil discount. I got my 5202 with ADM recon mount for $599 shipped with discount
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#16]
200 yard zero = +1.6" at 100 yards
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought one of these yesterday for $599 from dsg with the throw lever and the adm mount and DSG decided to send me the recon-h which is the 1.93 mount.Not a big deal ill just sell it and grab the mount I need and still be ahead of the game.

I have owned in no particular order
trijicon accupower 1-4 with the segmented green reticle
swfa 1-4
nightforce nxs 1-4
burris mtac

I have to say this by far has the best illumination out of all of them
The glass is equal to or better than the nightforce/accupower
the eye box is on par with the accupower which happens to be the best of the 1-4's that ive personally used
turrets aren't amazing but since its capped i'm happy with setting and forgetting
throw lever being included is a nice touch considering the accupower and nightforce both come with something
The price on this seems like its the clear winner if the durability in the long term is on par with the others.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Question:  Is there an issue with the BDC reticle  and the A2 front sight post?     It's my understanding that most scope mounts are high enough that the cross hairs are above the front sight post.   But what about the bottom hash mark on the BDC?     Is it above the front sight post?

What kind of mounts have you be using?       Any mounts don't work out?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:16:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Question:  Is there an issue with the BDC reticle  and the A2 front sight post?     It's my understanding that most scope mounts are high enough that the cross hairs are above the front sight post.   But what about the bottom hash mark on the BDC?     Is it above the front sight post?

What kind of mounts have you be using?       Any mounts don't work out?

Thanks
View Quote

I used an ADM-Recon mount and the FSP is only visible at 1x.  Even with it visible, it doesn't bother me when I go to focus and it co-witnesses pretty well.  Can't say much to the BDC portion as I haven't used it for any great distance yet.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, just bit the bullet and bought this to replace my Aimpoint on either my 14.5" upper or my 12" upper (not sure which way to go yet).  Will have a range report hopefully in the next couple weeks.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#21]

I put mine on my 12.5". Awesome setup. 50yd zero and it's easy shootin' out to 300. To me, it feels like a true 1x and I get a crisp clear dot (which i don't get with a RDS).
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:00:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Hi Guys well I finally got my free scope rings from stiener. SO hopefully Ill get the p4x mounted and out to the range this weekend. I was starting to worry after the screw up i did with the receipt and having to resubmit the rebate a second time after the deadline too. It took longer the second time  but the mail man dropped off the box before I got up this morning.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 2:34:56 AM EDT
[#23]
I just noticed an issue today with both the windage and elevation. Under the turrets where the .5 moa click values are etched, I noticed it spins freely without turning the turrets. I called CS today and they promptly sent an RMA label. I was quoted a 1-3 week turnaround time. Other than this, I've been very pleased.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Where are these made, the Philippines or Japan?
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Where are these made, the Philippines or Japan?
View Quote

Glass is German schott, other stuff on it is "made in the USA" I believe.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#26]
From the Steiner website.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 2:49:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Ok quick question on zeroing the p4xi. This is the first type of optic like this I have had. So how do you guys do the zeroing? Like a normal scope or the 1x setting? On my eotech I did a 37m zero which put me dead on at 200m. This is how I have always did my red dots. My normal scopes I do a 100 or 200m zero depending on cal. and how far i want to punch out.  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Does anyone here use the Aero SPR mount with the P4xi?   If so please post some pics.  It looks like most here are using the Aero Extended mount.   I am wondering if the SPR mount put's the scope too far forward in regards to eye relief.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#29]
If you like to shoot with your nose at the charging handle get the SPR. 
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ok quick question on zeroing the p4xi. This is the first type of optic like this I have had. So how do you guys do the zeroing? Like a normal scope or the 1x setting? On my eotech I did a 37m zero which put me dead on at 200m. This is how I have always did my red dots. My normal scopes I do a 100 or 200m zero depending on cal. and how far i want to punch out.  Thanks
View Quote

I zero at 4x not 1x.  The P3TR reticle is designed for a 200yd. zero.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#31]
So is the sale at DSG Arms the best deal out right now at $599 for the scope, ADM Recon mount, and throw lever? About to pull the trigger and seeing if there is a better deal out right now on the P4Xi.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#32]
I would say yes as it is $485 at Botach wtih throw lever:  https://www.botach.com/steiner-p4xi-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-1-4x-24mm-illuminated-reticle-w-throw-lever/

and the cheapest I've seen the ADM mount is in the $155 range (amazon)
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I bought one of these and ended up selling it right away in favor of the new vortex 1-6's.I switched purely for the extra 2x magnification and the praise everyone was giving the gen2 that had already handled it.

Now I wish I hadn't sold the Steiner and will be selling the 1-6 to likely go back.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I bought one of these and ended up selling it right away in favor of the new vortex 1-6's.I switched purely for the extra 2x magnification and the praise everyone was giving the gen2 that had already handled it.

Now I wish I hadn't sold the Steiner and will be selling the 1-6 to likely go back.
View Quote

So what made you think about going back to the Steiner?  Does the Vortex Gen 2 PST 1-6 not live up to the hype?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:37:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So what made you think about going back to the Steiner?  Does the Vortex Gen 2 PST 1-6 not live up to the hype?
View Quote

Ehh mines already on the way back to vortex with under 200 rounds fired on it.They took care of me in less than 5 minutes ,but between this and what it weighs its just not the optic for me.I'm sure vortex is going to sell a bunch of these and mine was just a fluke.Its a nice scope and I don't believe anything near its price range touches the glass or features you get.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Anybody have any recommendations on lens caps for the Steiner P4Xi?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the deal at DSG for the scope, ADM Recon mount, and throw lever for $599...just too good of a deal to pass up!

Also, bought a 30rd ETS translucent smoke mag to try out!
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Vortex Defender caps supposedly fit well per another thread on the P4XI.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was not overly impressed with them. Also, the ocular one does not close with polymer magpul buis.  

Nate
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:09:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I was not overly impressed with them. Also, the ocular one does not close with polymer magpul buis.  

Nate
View Quote

That's no good.  I have read a couple good and bad reviews now for them on the Steiner P4XI.  What exactly other than the not working with a polymer Magpul sight did you not like about them?  You would think for $18 each, they would be outstanding.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#41]
I am really close to pulling the trigger on a P4xi but now I am going back forth on whether I want to get the DSG package with the ADM Recon mount.

I was originally wanting to keep my setup lighter weight and use the Aero SPR mount.  I really don't need the QD but what a great deal!

Now, I am wondering if I should deal with extra 5-6 ounces and get the ADM Recon mount.  Lighter weight or QD??? Damn!
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I am really close to pulling the trigger on a P4xi but now I am going back forth on whether I want to get the DSG package with the ADM Recon mount.

I was originally wanting to keep my setup lighter weight and use the Aero SPR mount.  I really don't need the QD but what a great deal!

Now, I am wondering if I should deal with extra 5-6 ounces and get the ADM Recon mount.  Lighter weight or QD??? Damn!
View Quote

Buy the DSG package and seel the ADM mount if you don't like it. Granite Bay in EE has a screaming deal on Aero mounts.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Buy the DSG package and seel the ADM mount if you don't like it. Granite Bay in EE has a screaming deal on Aero mounts.
View Quote

^^^^ This!

The deal at DSG is just too good to pass up on. The cheapest I've seen the ADM Recon mount is $153 on Amazon. The cheapest I've seen the throw lever is $65. So let's say $220 with tax for those two items. That puts you buying the scope for only $380! It was a no-brainer for me.

Also, I'm not sure if this is normal when ordering from DSG, but I paid NO SALES TAX on the entire order!
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

^^^^ This!

The deal at DSG is just too good to pass up on. The cheapest I've seen the ADM Recon mount is $153 on Amazon. The cheapest I've seen the throw lever is $65. So let's say $220 with tax for those two items. That puts you buying the scope for only $380! It was a no-brainer for me.

Also, I'm not sure if this is normal when ordering from DSG, but I paid NO SALES TAX on the entire order!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^^ This!

Are you in Texas? If not probably no sales tax.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Are you in Texas? If not probably no sales tax.
View Quote

No, I'm in Louisiana. Everywhere else I order from it seems like I have to pay sales tax, so it was just odd, but I'm not complaining lol!
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's no good.  I have read a couple good and bad reviews now for them on the Steiner P4XI.  What exactly other than the not working with a polymer Magpul sight did you not like about them?  You would think for $18 each, they would be outstanding.
View Quote

The objective cover (size O24) is a little loose and has more "give" in it than I like before the cap will release. The result is that it pulls away from the tube when I try to open it with one finger/hand. The eye piece one fits more snugly, maybe I just got a bad one, or I'm doing it wrong (that's ALWAYS a possibility).
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

They do seem to be very durable and I like the fact that they fold completely flat against the scope when opened. I will probably keep them for now. Maybe this is a good excuse to get a more low profile rear BUIS. KAC maybe?  Suggestions welcome on that.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Okay, you guys just cost me $600!  I got the DSG deal with the ADM Recon mount.  The sad thing is that I will probably still end up getting the Aero SPR mount to see how the two compare...
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:23:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Anyone ran one of these next to a XTR II 1-5x for comparison?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#49]
I got my DSG combo with the ADM Recon mount last week.  I was finally able to mount the scope and bore sight it this weekend.  My initial thoughts are that the glass is excellent for the price, the reticle is exactly what I was looking for, simple and clean.  The illumination is great and is definitely daylight visible even on very bright days.  I like that only a center dot is illuminated, it keeps the reticle clutter free and easy to use.

The elevation and windage were a bit mushy but not an issue since I will basically be setting my zero and capping them.  My only complaint would be that the illumination dial did not provide as much tactile feedback at each stop I as I would have preferred.  I could not always tell if it was turned on or off just by feel, I had to look at the reticle to verify if it was on or off.  The illumination knob seemed firm enough to not be turned on accidentally when the carbine is cased.

Overall, I can live with illumination dial issue because of everything else this scope brings to the table.

Link Posted: 3/31/2017 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#50]
So I've been patiently waiting for the ADM Recon Mount/ P4Xi combo to come back in stock at DSG Arms..... and the "combo kit" is back in stock as of today, but with the Midwest Industries mount....

Looks like BoTach is now the best deal  for scope only at $485.00.... And I'll just say "screw it" at this point, and go Larue LT-104...
Page / 25
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top