Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2016 10:39:01 AM EDT
I know about Eotech's issues.

In spite of that, I want opinions from those better informed than me.

I've only ever owned Primary Arms RDS's, never had a "top tier" optic/sight before so I have next to no experience with them.  Up until now I've built all my AR's from the ground up and recently purchased a Colt LE6920 - my only factory carbine.  Anyway, I want a legit sight for it, not just a range sight and can't decide what to get.  I've shot Eotech's before and really like the reticle and just how they handle in general, but the loss of zero issue has me spooked.  I've never shot an Aimpoint PRO style sight, so I don't know if I'd like it or not.  Set-up info in case that matters to anybody: rear sight will be a LMT L8A and I prefer lower 1/3 cowitness, otherwise it's a basic M4gery

Let's get real, I'm just a dude that likes shootin stuff, I'm never going to put this thing through it's paces in any real sense, however for this carbine I want a sight that I could depend on - that's kind of the whole point with this gun, unimpeachable from buttpad to flashhider.

*this question may have been hashed and rehashed already but search didn't really get me the info I wanted.

So, for my needs, which would you guys who are familiar with real deal RDS's get?  Both are basically the same price, as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not Tier 1 or anything like that, but if you like your PA microdot, you will like the Aimpoint pro and the reliability associated with one. I love mine.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Loved Eotech and switched to the pro and won't look back. Better battery. Covers. Easy to turn on and off w gloves vs Eotech. I like the round now but didn't before.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:34:36 AM EDT
[#3]
My opinion only.

I like eotech's reticle, except for the outer reticle that appears as a solar flare due to my astigmatism. Much clearer when I have my glasses on though, but not perfect. I like it because target acquisition seems faster than with the Aimpoint, but the outer reticle is what I contribute it too. Now I would not buy a new or used Eotech unless it was a killer deal that I'd be stupid to pass up because I would not utilize the sight for the type of shooting I do with my ar and that is for target past 50 yards. I like my Aimpoint for that.

No reason you can't have both if you can get both for the right prices, but only you can decide what this is for you.

I have an Aimpoint Comp M3 2moa that I bought used for a decent price and just recently picked up an Eotech made Bushnell Holosight made in '04 at a local gun show for $65. It came with box and paperwork and it works. I still prefer the Aimpoint.

First time my wife shot the ar with the Aimpoint, at a 2' diameter rock on the side of a mountain at about 200 yards, she had no problems with hitting it right off the bat.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought an EXPS2-0 and G33 magnifier knowing the issues as well. 2 months later and I love my EoTech! CQB out to 50yds just putting stuff in the 65 MOA circle makes it a breeze to hit. The magnifier for me makes 100-200yd targets stupidly easy to hit. I am not a LEO or going to the 'Stan, ever...but this sight makes it fun to shoot and only time will tell if my sight is affected like others have experienced.

As it stand the Aim Point crowd hasn't had any negative press near the extent of EoTech, but no manufacture is perfect and anything can fail. Shit happens. Get what you like and what you shoot well with.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I Had an xps2-2 and an aimpoint pro . I still have the aimpoint pro . long before the thermal shift issue I had to return my eotech 6 months after purchase due to the glass delaminating. I also had a primary arms 3x magnifier which I found out it was more of a pain in the ass than a benefit . I liked the eotech but I always had that delamination issue in the back of my mind and it just ate at me so when I saw the refund the eotech went back and I gave the magnifier to a young man who wanted one for his red dot but couldnt afford to buy one since he has a growing family . the aimpoint has been nothing but reliable , turn it on and leave it on . when somethig goes bump in the barnyard and I am woke up at 2 am the rifle is ready always . Nothing to turn on , no buttons to push its just there and ready . I am certainly not a war fighter or leo but that doesnt mean I shouldnt have a quality optic that will work every time I need it .Nothing pisses me off more than have meat for the freezer walk off because brand x discount sight decided to take a dump right before bambi's dad walks infront of me . true story.
just buy the pro and be done.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, have you learned nothing from the past year of Eotech drama?

Get an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everybody.  You kind of confirmed my thoughts - Aimpoint it is.  Just needed a little moral support I guess
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top