Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quick note before I leave town. The scope arrived yesterday and I compared it to my Vortex 3x prism that's $200 cheaper.

The Steiner is shaped exactly like the Vortex, however it has a hard rubber shell that hides the body lines. If you stripped that away they would be virtual clones.
The Steiner is definitely more refined and robust. The rubber shell is very nice.
Glass is ever so slightly better in the Steiner, but not noticeable unless you really nitpick.
I like the Steiner reticle better, but the Vortex is pretty good too.
The Steiner feels a touch lighter than the Vortex w/ ADM mount. (No scale to confirm)

I'll get pics up next week.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ended up ordering the 3x, should arrive Thursday. Going out of town on Friday, so likely won't get a chance to review until I get back Tuesday.

Thanks and please give us pics.

Quick note before I leave town. The scope arrived yesterday and I compared it to my Vortex 3x prism that's $200 cheaper.

The Steiner is shaped exactly like the Vortex, however it has a hard rubber shell that hides the body lines. If you stripped that away they would be virtual clones.
The Steiner is definitely more refined and robust. The rubber shell is very nice.
Glass is ever so slightly better in the Steiner, but not noticeable unless you really nitpick.
I like the Steiner reticle better, but the Vortex is pretty good too.
The Steiner feels a touch lighter than the Vortex w/ ADM mount. (No scale to confirm)

I'll get pics up next week.

So initial impression is, not worth the extra $200?
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Schott glass....
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Schott glass....
View Quote

and that means?
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

and that means?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Schott glass....

and that means?

Pretty high end glass (think Zeiss) worth the extra outlay...imo
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Pretty high end glass worth the extra outlay...imo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Schott glass....

and that means?

Pretty high end glass worth the extra outlay...imo

Eh, for a high end scope on 25x I'd agree. On a low power prism optic, maybe.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#6]
It's only as good as the eye can perceive some eyes can use the extra clarity...to some it won't matter...I live pretty much in Vortex's backyard and have a neighbor who works there...
Love the company the folks that work there are great.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Totally different scope, but I have one of the Steiner T5Xi scopes, and it is pretty fucking awesome.

Glass and reticle are on par with my Vortex Razor, illumination is a touch dimmer on the top end but the low end NV compatible settings are nice.

Only thing I'm not impressed with is the turrets, where the Razor is far superior.

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 6:55:00 PM EDT
[#8]
How fine are the crosshairs? I am getting an ar-10 and was looking at this for out to 600 yards and was hoping they would be fine enough.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I should have an M536 here later this week, it was a gift for my anniversary. First "big" gift she's done in 12 years. I plan on putting it on my 20" upper.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a small set of steiner binoculars about two weeks for bowhunting. Looked in them one morning and couldnt see anything. To mu knowlege these were noy hit, smashed or dropped in any way.the left front lens came loose and had spun sideways. Well i called steiner and they were no help they wanted over half the price to fix them as they cost. No more steiner for me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 12:05:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had a small set of steiner binoculars about two weeks for bowhunting. Looked in them one morning and couldnt see anything. To mu knowlege these were noy hit, smashed or dropped in any way.the left front lens came loose and had spun sideways. Well i called steiner and they were no help they wanted over half the price to fix them as they cost. No more steiner for me.
View Quote

Interesting I don't know if it is something new or doesn't apply to binos but they do claim to have a lifetime warranty that is transferable
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#12]
This was interesting enough for me to order a 3x version.

Sportsmans guide $485ish shipped if you are a club member + 20% coupon.

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Any updates with reviews or pics? Was thinking of a TA33, but this is interesting!
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Any updates with reviews or pics? Was thinking of a TA33, but this is interesting!
View Quote

Hasn't arrived yet.  I'll let you know what I think when I get it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:28:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

my 5x arrived yesterday, but I am working all weekend. initial impressions are: it is heavy; I am able to use it overtop of a KAC 600m rear sight without needing the included risers, the illumination settings are nice, the daylight "5" is bright, and the moonlight low-light settings are appropriate; the rail on top is removeable, but leaves a sort of ugly bald spot since the rubber coating doesn't go under the rail. I look forward to getting it to the range.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm starting to eyeball these scopes...any new info or feedback?
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I mounted and zeroed my 3x today then put maybe 120 rounds downrange. Very happy with it. Glass is ever so slightly better than my Vortex 3x. Illumination, as mentioned above, is very good.

I'm not much of a reviewer, but I'm happy with the purchase and the optic now rests on my 'go-to' rifle. Seems robust and durable, quality glass, useful reticle, nice mount, good illumination, affordable, etc. It's a winner.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I mounted and zeroed my 3x today then put maybe 120 rounds downrange. Very happy with it. Glass is ever so slightly better than my Vortex 3x. Illumination, as mentioned above, is very good.

I'm not much of a reviewer, but I'm happy with the purchase and the optic now rests on my 'go-to' rifle. Seems robust and durable, quality glass, useful reticle, nice mount, good illumination, affordable, etc. It's a winner.
View Quote

Illumination works in daylight outdoors on a sunny day,?
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. It was bright and sunny in my backyard today and illumination was up to the task. Maybe tomorrow I'll attempt a pic, didn't think about it today.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 2:11:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the "5" setting on the daylight side of the knob is very bright
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any mounted pictures?  There's not much out there.  I've been thinking ACOG, but this has my attention.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Any mounted pictures?  There's not much out there.  I've been thinking ACOG, but this has my attention.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It should.  Glass is clear, feels solid.  I haven't mounted it yet, but my first impressions are that it is what you would expect.

The only thing I'm disappointed in is that the front lens cap would rather fall off than open up like it's supposed to.

Also looks like it would accept a kill-flash if there's one that fits as it is threaded.

If you want a size comparison, go find a picture of the burris 332.  It's not the same scope, but the looks are quite similar....size wise.

I got the 3x as I liked the lighter weight, smaller price tag.

Reticle is crisp, daylight bright (it's frigging bright)....but it's also fine enough that it doesn't do the whole starburst thing.

The website shows only the center dot illuminating, but on mine the whole tree is lit.

The Brightness dial is stiff, with definite positions so you don't have to guess if it's on or not and you aren't going to bump it off the position you set it to.

The rubberized coating is a nice touch.  

The elevation & windage caps are tethered.

For what it is, I like it and I'd buy it again.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 4:30:52 AM EDT
[#23]
I assume you can use it like an ACOG both eyes open?
How is the fov on the 3x compared to the ACOG TA33?
Also which mini rds sights work on the top?
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:12:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you can do the ACOG both eyes open thing, I imagine you could.  I'm not one of the people who can do it, at least right now.

Can't compare the FOV to ACOG TA33, don't have one and haven't looked through one.  

It's a 1913 rail, so if it fits on that?  I'd be looking for one of those mini-rds that people like to throw on pistols like the RMR.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Steiner site says 28.8ft(9.6m) I'm guessing that's at 100m

TA33 is 19.3ft at 100 yards so a little more at 100m vs yards but the Steiner still has a decent advantage.

The Steiner weights twice as much as a TA33 FYI.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Tag for reviews and pics

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Any updates? Really interested if this can be used up close, both eyes open. How's the size of the 3x? Like the size of the ta33, but the 3x is only a few ounces more than the EO EXPS2 that it might replace, so I'm used to some heft. Will this mount on an A2 carry handle? Might run it on my 20" until I decide what I'm doing with my Eotech. Post pics!!!! Anyone know battery life yet? Thanks guys!

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#28]
I should have the M536 in my hands by this Friday.I'll post pics of it on an AR15 and AR10 along with some other rifles probably Friday nite or Saturday.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Subscribing. Very interested in this optic.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#30]
took the M536 to the range today finally. glass is clear, and the windage was spot on from the factory, only needed a couple clicks up for elevation. it was a bright sunny day, 85*. I did have to turn the brightness dial up to #4 for it to be useable against my white target, but that was only to see the red illumination. I was able to use it with the illumination completely off just fine. target was only at roughly 50 yards (I was using a scaled target) but I was able to use the scope to see my bullet impacts without having to walk downrange, as well as to make adjustments for my other rifles I had out. overall, very impressed with the scope. aside from the weight, I have no complaints. it will be staying put on my 20" upper.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Both eyes open?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:48:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Both eyes open?
View Quote

I didn't attempt to shoot both eyes open with this optic, mine is a 5x model.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Not enough pictures in this thread . . .
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Subscribing. Very interested in this optic.
View Quote

+1
Im wanting 1 or 2.
Its available thru sportsmans guide thru the 4 pay programme
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:26:14 PM EDT
[#35]
I got my M536 with the 5.56 reticle yesterday.I got a pretty good deal off ebay for $515 shipped.My 1st impressions are...

1.The glass is very crisp and clear.

2.It is big---with the sunshade on it's about the same size as my TA11 Acog.Unscrew the sunshade and it's close to 2" shorter.I think it's going to work best on a 16" or 20" barrel.

3.Very rugged.You could probably run this over with a car but I'll let somebody else run that test.

4.I really like the reticle.It's advertised as a close to medium distance.It looks to me like the optimum range would be 50-300 yds.It is certainly not a reticle you would use for close quarters.It is recommended to sight in the dot at 100 meters.After that you have marks for 200,300,400,500,600 and 700 meters.The book says it is a Ballistic Drop Compensation reticle but it does not say anything about what barrel length or what round.

5. I think it's been asked if you could use the red dot like an aimpoint--negative,it's much too small.It's also been asked if you could use it with both eyes open ala an acog--yes on that.

6.The built in mount locks up rock solid.

7.I don't know what you would use the rail on top for--a laser maybe?I sure couldn't see putting something like a Trijicon RMR on it like Trijicon does on a Acog.It would be much too high.

8.It uses a CR2032 battery.It is rated at 200 hours at the highest setting and 500 hours at medium settings.The reticle has 5 daylight settings and I only had to turn it up to 3 even in direct sunlight.

9.I think it's a very good deal.Seems to be extremely rugged and I really like the reticle.I haven't shot it yet  but I'm sure it's going to be a winner.

Here you can see some size comparisons.That's a TA01 Acog on top,a TA11 Acog in the middle and the Steiner M536 on the bottom.

TA11 Acog on left Steiner M536 on right

Left to right...TA01,TA11,Steiner M536

Here's a pic of the Steiner with the sunshade off.It shortens it by close to 2"

These next 2 give you a good idea of the size.In a hurry to take the pics so I didn't notice the end caps were on slightly crooked.

Some reticle pics--I tried my best with a cellphone

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I got my M536 with the 5.56 reticle yesterday.I got a pretty good deal off ebay for $515 shipped.My 1st impressions are...

View Quote

Does Trijicon mounts work with it?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The mount is removable from the scope,whether the screws that attach it would line up with other mounts I don't know.I don't remember the booklet saying anything about it.The quick release mount that comes with it is very solid and a very low mount.The mount itself is only about 3/8 " high.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

1.The glass is very crisp and clear.

2.It is big---with the sunshade on it's about the same size as my TA11 Acog.Unscrew the sunshade and it's close to 2" shorter.I think it's going to work best on a 16" or 20" barrel.

3.Very rugged.You could probably run this over with a car but I'll let somebody else run that test.

4.I really like the reticle.It's advertised as a close to medium distance.It looks to me like the optimum range would be 50-300 yds.It is certainly not a reticle you would use for close quarters.It is recommended to sight in the dot at 100 meters.After that you have marks for 200,300,400,500,600 and 700 meters.The book says it is a Ballistic Drop Compensation reticle but it does not say anything about what barrel length or what round.

5. I think it's been asked if you could use the red dot like an aimpoint--negative,it's much too small.It's also been asked if you could use it with both eyes open ala an acog--negative on that.

7.I don't know what you would use the rail on top for--a laser maybe?I sure couldn't see putting something like a Trijicon RMR on it like Trijicon does on a Acog.It would be much too high.

8.It uses a CR2032 battery.It is rated at 200 hours at the highest setting and 500 hours at medium settings.The reticle has 5 daylight settings and I only had to turn it up to 3 even in direct sunlight.

9.I think it's a very good deal.Seems to be extremely rugged and I really like the reticle.I haven't shot it yet  but I'm sure it's going to be a winner.

Here you can see some size comparisons.That's a TA01 Acog on top,a TA11 Acog in the middle and the Steiner M536 on the bottom.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Hawk4357/For%20Sale/IMG_0070_zpsmvl1x8s4.jpg

TA11 Acog on left Steiner M536 on right
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Hawk4357/For%20Sale/IMG_0087_zps4iczhyir.jpg

Left to right...TA01,TA11,Steiner M536
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Hawk4357/For%20Sale/IMG_0071%201_zpsk2edfhfe.jpg

Here's a pic of the Steiner with the sunshade off.It shortens it by close to 2"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Hawk4357/For%20Sale/IMG_0085_zpscx2vbg3g.jpg

These next 2 give you a good idea of the size.In a hurry to take the pics so I didn't notice the end caps were on slightly crooked.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Hawk4357/For%20Sale/IMG_0075_zpsozrreemd.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Hawk4357/For%20Sale/IMG_0076_zpsthq2fjsz.jpg

Some reticle pics--I tried my best with a cellphone
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Hawk4357/For%20Sale/IMG_0084_zpsfg8jchlz.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Hawk4357/For%20Sale/IMG_0082_zpsn4fzm0tw.jpg

View Quote

I got one yesterday and disagree on point 5.   I think it works quite well with both eyes open.   I also have a vx-6 with firedot and it works on the same way where  with both eyes ope the reticial seems offset from the rifle however is on target
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#39]
You're right.I tried it again today and it works fine with both eyes open.I don't know what my problem was 2 days ago.I'll change my original post.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You're right.I tried it again today and it works fine with both eyes open.I don't know what my problem was 2 days ago.I'll change my original post.
View Quote

You should be able to use that just fine close quarters with a little practice...general delivery at close range pretty hard not to hit the boiler room.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#41]
I've always had the red dot of an aimpoint or the chevron of a TA11 Acog for true close quarters.I guess you could use the Steiner but it sure wouldn't be my 1st choice to do room clearing drills.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've always had the red dot of an aimpoint or the chevron of a TA11 Acog for true close quarters.I guess you could use the Steiner but it sure wouldn't be my 1st choice to do room clearing drills.
View Quote

I guess if you find youself "clearing rooms" alot...probably better choices out there.

If I gotta clear out a room...I ain't going in there.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#43]
I certainly have no plans or illusions about clearing rooms I just used that as an example of what "close quarters" means to me.If not clearing rooms I would think "close quarters" would be 25 yds or less and this reticle just wouldn't be my 1st choice for that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:44:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried installing a bobro acog mount on the steiner m332 I bought. The steiner fits in the mount, but the mounting holes don't line up at all. So acog style mounts are a no go.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:09:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I certainly have no plans or illusions about clearing rooms I just used that as an example of what "close quarters" means to me.If not clearing rooms I would think "close quarters" would be 25 yds or less and this reticle just wouldn't be my 1st choice for that.
View Quote

Pretty sure If I am attacked by a barn at 3AM I might be able to wing it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Here's a pic of the ballistic reticle -

http://i64.tinypic.com/wiagg.jpg
View Quote

Wow!  Getting more interesting!
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for the info posted so far, but anymore info, range reports, or pics of the 3x? Also, with these mount to an A2 carry handle?
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 4:02:44 AM EDT
[#48]
It looks like the reticle could have benefited from a horseshoe around the top of the aiming point... More so if you are using the bindon aiming concept.

Does anyone else think the same?

Still an interesting optic for the optical quality/price point though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#49]
I would have preferred the reticle center <2moa dot to be lit rather than the entire reticle...
Some pics show this to be the case but the actual pics through one of the variants show the entire reticle lit up.
Other than that looks like a very nicely thought out...well put together...robust scope...and at an attractive price.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Are these daylight bright
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top