Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have to agree. I was considering an Acog however this is beyond tempting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dadgummit!

I wish I didn't see this. This scope is hard to resist.

I have to agree. I was considering an Acog however this is beyond tempting.

Waiting on the M-332 at Midway USA ....too good to pass up
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#2]
If those have the same optical design as the Burris model, then it does have ocular adjustment.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 12:14:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Did some digging today and apparently it's called the BOS (battle optic sight) in Germany. I found this article (my phone translated it)

http://spartanat.com/2015/12/review-steiner-battle-optic-sight-bos-5x36/

Looks like they must be importing them and just relabeing them as "Steiner Combat Scopes" .... or maybe part of the assembly happens here ... who knows but I want to try one
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Couldn't read the article...but there was some English

Damit man immer einen scharfen Durchblick hat
View Quote

Sounds like someone was mad cause he didn't get his damn Durchblick hat?

Not sure what a Durchblick hat is but I want one.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone brave enough to drop test theirs when they get it? If these are actually ACOG tough I'll be buying a few.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Small...according the instructions (pic above) @ 5x which this is: 0.32 Mrad. The top horizontal is 10.0 Mrad, the space w/the dot in the middle is 1 Mrad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How big is the dot?

Small...according the instructions (pic above) @ 5x which this is: 0.32 Mrad. The top horizontal is 10.0 Mrad, the space w/the dot in the middle is 1 Mrad.

Hey Joe....does that top rail come off? tia
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm really looking forward to feedback on the M536. I think the 5x will suit my goals for my AR. Thank you for posting information on this optic.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry guys...no range updates yet - been crazy busy. However, I'll check if the top rail section can be removed and add a couple pics of it mounted to my A4.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks for the update no worries take your time the 3X don't seem to be in stock anyway...
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, 15% for MIL (including priors, not just retired) and LEO: http://www.steiner-optics.com/american-hero
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Hey Joe....does that top rail come off? tia 

Yes it does.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 2:54:45 AM EDT
[#12]
The mounting footprint; is it compatible with ACOG footprint mounts?
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:25:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Got to check them both out at the NRA show.

They seemed "cheaper" than an ACOG but by no means cheap.

Wish I had known they were coming out, recently purchased an illuminated 1-4x, would rather have had this.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Gent's,

Finally a couple pics...I used the riser that came w/the scope to both - clear my MaTech BUIS but, also to give me a better check weld. With the setup in the pic's below, I have a perfect NTCH sight picture. Also, as stated above, the top rail is removable. The 2 hex wrenches that come with the scope are for the QD mount and the top rail.

Rifle spec's: Factory Sabre Defence A4 w/a 1/7 Gov't barrel, KAC M5 RAS, Geissele SSA-E trigger, BCM Mod 4 charging handle, and Vickers Blue Force sling.

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 6:47:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

Joe, any idea on this?
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Joe, any idea on this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Joe, any idea on this?

I'm not sure as, I don't own an ACOG to compare. I'll call Steiner this week and inquire.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Damit man immer einen scharfen Durchblick hat

I had to laugh at this.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 4:51:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'm not sure as, I don't own an ACOG to compare. I'll call Steiner this week and inquire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Joe, any idea on this?

Awesome, thanks for that!

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#19]
That looks extremely big and heavy.

What is the weight of that monster?

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

page 2
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

page 2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

page 2

Ooops.  Missed that.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 5:48:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed. Some of these fixed scopes weigh as much as a 1-4.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's gotta be the prisms

Leupold VXR 1.25-4 is about 5 Oz less
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's gotta be the prisms

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's gotta be the prisms

The vxr is only 11.5oz.
This 5x model is 22 oz. per pg 2.

That's nearly twice as heavy with no 1x capability.   I guess it serves a purpose for some though.  Just not me.

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I was figuring weight differences for the 3X model which is the one I am interest in.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The vxr is only 11.5oz.

That's nearly twice as heavy with no 1x capability.   I guess it serves a purpose for some though.  Just not me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's gotta be the prisms

The vxr is only 11.5oz.

Steiner schott glass > Leupold VXR 1-4x glass. Also which one is battlefield tough? This is a product competing for the ACOG area with some added affordability.

ETA:
As you said to each his own I've been wanting the market to come out  with prism optics built for toughness that fall at a price point between the ACOGs and the PA/ Burris lines from a company I can trust to make a worthwhile product. So I will not discourage this development.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Steiner schott glass > Leupold VXR 1-4x glass. Also which one is battlefield tough? This is a product competing for the ACOG area with some added affordability.

ETA:
As you said to each his own I've been wanting the market to come out  with prism optics built for toughness that fall at a price point between the ACOGs and the PA/ Burris lines from a company I can trust to make a worthwhile product. So I will not discourage this development.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's gotta be the prisms

The vxr is only 11.5oz.

ETA:

It's great what they are doing....a 1X would also not go amiss....but with a single 1moa illuminated dot + with the reticle they already have...
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:55:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The vxr is only 11.5oz.

View Quote

What does your preferred mount weigh?
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The vxr is only 11.5oz.

I think the Aero precision is 3oz or so.

I'm all for as light as possible.   In my opinion extra weight sucks.

But then again, I'm not as young as I once was.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#30]
the 3X is about 16 Oz...take off the rail and if Scalar comes up with a light wt mount...shave some more off it...
I am guess the wt of the Steiner includes the mount while the wt of the VXR does not...
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:41:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I think the only thing I have to decide is 3X or 5X. How significant is the difference at 200 and 300 yards?

I have a PA 3X that I like, I just wonder if the difference in the glass would make things that much more crisp. My goal is to be clear, crisp and quick from 25 - 200 yards and as I get more comfortable and precise with optics I want to learn to reach out to 400.

Any thoughts and/or opinions will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think the only thing I have to decide is 3X or 5X. How significant is the difference at 200 and 300 yards?

I have a PA 3X that I like, I just wonder if the difference in the glass would make things that much more crisp. My goal is to be clear, crisp and quick from 25 - 200 yards and as I get more comfortable and precise with optics I want to learn to reach out to 400.

View Quote

I think the higher quality German glass is definitely worth the added cost over a PA if it is a go to gun. My main excitement over this is that it seems a more budget friendly ACOG. From what I understand about Steiner is that they make tough stuff. I believe German Army marksmen use Steiner variables, of course these prism optics aren't the same puppy however so only time will tell if these are built for toughness.

ETA: To answer your question though 3x should get you out to 400, but if the weight doesn't bother you the added magnification won't hurt.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 11:30:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think the higher quality German glass is definitely worth the added cost over a PA if it is a go to gun. My main excitement over this is that it seems a more budget friendly ACOG. From what I understand about Steiner is that they make tough stuff. I believe German Army marksmen use Steiner variables, of course these prism optics aren't the same puppy however so only time will tell if these are built for toughness.

ETA: To answer your question though 3x should get you out to 400, but if the weight doesn't bother you the added magnification won't hurt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree that this appears to be very similar to the ACOG and much more budget friendly. I'm going back and forth, but think I'll probably end up with the 5X and add a reflex when budget allows. As I grow more comfortable with my AR, it is becoming more likely to be my go-to over the AK (SA 93) that I've had much more time with. Oddly, I'm very comfortable with the AK fixed-sight, but the AR seems to call for optics. Maybe it's just because I'm not all that bright.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:12:53 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I agree that this appears to be very similar to the ACOG and much more budget friendly. I'm going back and forth, but think I'll probably end up with the 5X and add a reflex when budget allows. As I grow more comfortable with my AR, it is becoming more likely to be my go-to over the AK (SA 93) that I've had much more time with. Oddly, I'm very comfortable with the AK fixed-sight, but the AR seems to call for optics. Maybe it's just because I'm not all that bright.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe its time to have your tritium replaced

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's gotta be the prisms

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's gotta be the prisms

I think it's the size of the housings. The 1.5, 2, 3X ACOGS are all very lightweight.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#36]
the stated weights of the Steiners (I think) include the mount the weight of the VXR do not include rings or mounts....
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

at least a fill-up!
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Range reports more reticle pics would be nice for those with these scope...
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm ready to order but can't decide which one to get. Someone help me out. I'm leaning 5x because I already have a Vortex 3x prism on a rifle.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm ready to order but can't decide which one to get. Someone help me out. I'm leaning 5x because I already have a Vortex 3x prism on a rifle.
View Quote

I guess it's settled then....
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Why am I always late when it comes to hearing about these things! After being caught up, I'll note that as stated above not only is the leupold example not counting a mount, but it is likely not as durable (though this product is too new to say that for sure), and Leupold in general make a lighter scope than their competition. This should be measured against ACOGs like the 31/11, and possibly 33. It's certainly comparible to the first two, while being significantly cheaper. I love my bright FO illuminated reticles, but word is that these are pretty bright as well.

Do we know how long the batteries last? I know it's not a big deal as it is with a RDS, but it would still matter to me if it is anemic or stellar.

All in all this looks like a pretty neat scope, and given their .mil discount I'll probably end up looking at these the next time I do a build. It looks like a pretty neat ACOG alternative.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Any update on the mount footprint?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#43]
I ended up ordering the 3x, should arrive Thursday. Going out of town on Friday, so likely won't get a chance to review until I get back Tuesday.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I ended up ordering the 3x, should arrive Thursday. Going out of town on Friday, so likely won't get a chance to review until I get back Tuesday.
View Quote

Thanks and please give us pics.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#45]
I find these very interesting, but I'm not sure what I would mount it on.  11.5" or 14.5" 5.56? What are your guys plans?

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:42:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I find these very interesting, but I'm not sure what I would mount it on.  11.5" or 14.5" 5.56? What are your guys plans?

View Quote

I'm planning on putting it on my 20" Ar15 or my 20" Armalite AR10,most likely the AR10.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know why you'd look for a BDC reticle on a shorty... You'll never come close to matching the ballistics.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I don't know why you'd look for a BDC reticle on a shorty... You'll never come close to matching the ballistics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the BDC reticle is set up for a 20" barrel?  I haven't had any luck finding that info.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can get "close enough" for combat accuracy by varying your zero and using a program like Strelok Pro to map your load and MV to you reticle. It might take a few revisions for Strelok to add your particular reticle, but you can contact the developer and request it and he's pretty good about adding it...

I have an M4-calibrated ACOG on my 11.5" SBR and an M240-calibrated TA11 on my 15.5" Grendel and both work just fine since I've adjusted zero and have a pretty good idea what my drops are for each of the BDC stadia lines.

It's not perfect, but with a bit of practice you can get pretty close.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quick note before I leave town. The scope arrived yesterday and I compared it to my Vortex 3x prism that's $200 cheaper.

The Steiner is shaped exactly like the Vortex, however it has a hard rubber shell that hides the body lines. If you stripped that away they would be virtual clones.
The Steiner is definitely more refined and robust. The rubber shell is very nice.
Glass is ever so slightly better in the Steiner, but not noticeable unless you really nitpick.
I like the Steiner reticle better, but the Vortex is pretty good too.
The Steiner feels a touch lighter than the Vortex w/ ADM mount. (No scale to confirm)

I'll get pics up next week.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top